main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Well yes, backstory how the Knights got it and what they changed from the former Oserriton (prison planet located in the Unknown Regions) Prison Transport to adapt it to their vessel.

Fleetjunkiewise I like the interior makeup of the ship, gives me some TOR ship crosssection vibes and makes me want to mod it for rpg into my own version. Spacewise it could be, if not gritty dark prison/Knights ship easily turned into a shiny luxury/party ship version that could make Lando proud.

Well, the interior is very different from usual Stardestroyers. A lot more tech and pipes to make the superlaser work at the cost of heavily reduced crew and storage space. Also next to the superlaser the Tie-Hangar got a new orientation and location as seen briefly in TROS itself. Double page has just text and the Crosssection. No new shots of exterior or interior other than that.

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Do we get anything new from the other sections? Or have they restored some original material?

3. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Havn't checked them against older books yet. Going through all details takes time I currently do not have.

4. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    If the previews we see in the Amazon and DK pages for the book are final, text is mostly unchanged (unlike with the updated, canon Complete Locations book), with the exception of paragraphs that were completely removed. Here's the 4 new pages for the LAAT/i:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A whole paragraph about the gunship's pilots is now missing, though I do not know if that was removed back when the downsized 2008 "Complete Vehicles" came out. The "Data File" table is also missing max airspeed, cargo capacity and consumables, possibly to keep it consinstent with the newer books which lack those (although for me a preferred solution would have been to actually add them to the newer ones instead).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In regards to Thrawn/Ahsoka's Marg Sabl maneuver, I was rewatching random parts of TCW and the holo illustrating it reminded me of something that's kinda bugged me. The idea is that you use the cap ship to disguise the launch and direction of your fighters, so that they can encircle incoming enemy ships as they would supposedly be up to full speed and be unavoidable.

The part about obscuring your attack vector and launch I get. What I wonder is- how does that work, exactly, in regards to the speed part? Wouldn't the "U-turn" over and around the hull of the launching cap ship slow the fighters down more than if they just launched straight out like normal? At least enough to allow enemy ships already approaching at an attack speed to actually outflank the launching ships (or, at the very least, avoid getting ensnared by the launching fighters)?

I get that the holo is not to scale and, thus, the "U-turn" is likely much sharper in the holo than it was during actual use, but it still seems like it would slow things down.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    In the actual battle, not the holo, it doesn't take them any time at all. I don't see how a Y-wing could be that maneuverable, honestly, but there you go.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oooo. Ahhh.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I love the idea of making it feel more like the Colossus silhouette while remaining more overtly combat-oriented. That's way cooler than anything I ever pictured in my head (never saw any official pics before reading the older books that used them).

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    This is so good.

From the wording, I think it means he started refurbishing the facilities after he became Emperor. Which makes sense, considering he was mostly hiding before then. But it does mean he had access to Exegol even during the PT, and likely long before.

This matches better with the movies, where the wayfinders are treated as heirlooms the Sith Lords possessed, and through them, Exegol. I now wonder if this hidden word may have been where Darth Bane hid to escape the destruction of the Sith.

JediBatman and ColeFardreamer like this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I assume nick will talk about it eventually but

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I posted some Starhawk headcanon in the headcanon topic and some fleetjunkie relevant pics in the Star Wars Archives topic!

14. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
  15. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    I've been modeling the Lothalian Corvette from The Rise of Skywalker, and using this image as reference I have measured it should be 250m long

[​IMG]

I wish I had access to that full diagram....

16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So in Legends, some Incom engineers took the X-wing designs with them to the Rebellion, and I assume the Rebels just manufactured them at their secret bases or wherever. But after the New Republic is established, is the design owned by the New Republic government? On Wookieepedia, I see that the manufacturer for the later X-wing models is listed as "Incom Corporation" so does that mean at some point the New Republic decided to give the rights back to Incom?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Empire nationalized Incom, didn't it? I assume the restored Republic just reversed that action.

18. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Woooooo. Let me know if you want me to gather any other reference pics for ships from the comics haha ;)

Sean_Connery likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah but I mean during the Rebellion era, Incom wasn't building X-wings for the rebels. The rebels were building the fighters themselves from the blueprints provided by the Incom defectors, right? When the Rebellion becomes the New Republic, does the New Republic still own those blueprints?

20. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Maybe that's why the T-70 was developed....to sidestep the intellectual property issue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

21. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I was thinking more along the lines of the Legends continuity. But I suppose the same thing could apply to the XJ-series and other later model X-wings...if they came out with updated designs then yeah, those would be owned by Incom.

seeker_two likes this.
  22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I imagine the New Republic inherited the Empire's copyright/trademark/IP databases.

Snafu55 and seeker_two like this.
  23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    A few points to keep in mind:
    • Incom apparently had a very independent spirit, which is part of why they reacted the way they did to the Imperial nationalization.
    • They didn't just leak the X-wing plans to the Rebels. Several engineers and other individuals donated prototypes or actively defected to the Rebellion.
    So I'd have to say in either continuity, there was probably a "puppet state" Incom ruled by the Empire, but as the New Republic formed and gained power, the "real" Incom was reestablished. (Probably enjoying the perks of having built "the fighter that killed the Death Star" and being very cozy with the new galactic government).

24. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Hey, If its ok to suggest things:

[​IMG]

25. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    So there's this new Topps card from a Mandalorian series, showing a ship we might get to see in the next episodes..
    [​IMG]
    I appreciate the more "imperialised" look and the frontal hangar, I wonder if it's meant to be a more modern variant or simply its realistic look.