main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    What about a scenario where Dark and Lightside force users have to join sides to defeat a common enemy? Maybe the SW equivalent of A.I?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yuck.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Agree, jedi and sith or light sider and dark sider should never join forces. They will evetually kill each other along the way

Jimbing likes this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Mixing up the relationship dynamic between the Jedi and the Sith....Why Not?

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im ok with a few temporary jedi and sith team ups.....against other Sith or Mandalorians.

But preferably on an individual setting, not large scale.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    black_saber and CampOfSorgan like this.
  6. Darth Polo

Darth Polo Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2020
    Maybe Star Wars needs to play on mixing it up with like how Jedi always create a temple full of hundreds of Jedi and the Sith always have a Master and an Apprentice and then a secret Apprentice. What if the numbers were more even on both sides? What about instead of only one Jedi temple there could be a dozen and the same would go for the Sith?

Isn't there suppose to be like grey area force wielders? Why only have characters that are either too nice or are too evil? Why not have characters that are a little of both and have flaws and make good and bad decisions at times? I could see characters that are not fully Jedi and not fully Sith to have possibly new systems and codes of honor and can serve as new plot devices. Like some grey force users could rise in the ranks of the people of their planet they are from and become leaders either politically or militarily or other. They are strong in the force but are only looking out for their own species. Some could use the power for defending their planet where as others would want to conquer other peoples and planets for a variety of reasons.

What about the idea of characters that are force sensitive who try and kill off non-force sensitive characters? It seems too common that the strongest characters are hunted like Marvel Comics mutants. Why not switch the roles around and create a group of characters that can use the force that search for people like them to recruit and that they kill all normal powered people they meet?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  7. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    So basically the Old Republic era.

CampOfSorgan and Crod1992 like this.
  8. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Like how Scourge teamed with Revan and the Hero of Tython to take on Vitiate.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    A monstrously large and orange alien criminal-turned-politician that spews toxic venom.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I would love a Jabba orgin story based on true story.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It better involve pizza.

13. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It would be a missed opportunity.

In all seriousness whatever big bad they chose, they are going to need to reinvite themselves. Because the whole I am your relative bit is played out.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I know someone who fits perfectly and guess: He will have plenty of time soon to do the job.

15. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    The way I saw it all panning out (a couple of decades ago), when I sketched out the plot for Ep 7/8/9, there were three antagonists:-

Fett and the remenants of Jabba's crew, which had been distilled down to a dozen or so of the most deadly hoodlums in the galaxy.
    The surviving elite of the Empire which had been gathering forces in the outer reaches.
    .....and..... None other than Mace Windu, who had spent eons in the sordid underbelly of Coruscant mutating through the sheer power of the darkside (but not actually becoming a Sith) nurturing his all consuming hatred for any and all Skywalkers and planning his revenge.
    It was going to be a classic....

Jimbing likes this.
  16. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    New Dark side character that sticks with the classic formula.
    Mask. Scars. Tragic past. Cybernetic enhancements. Potential for redemption. Mostly dressed in black.

GregMcP and black_saber like this.
  17. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Thousands of years during the old republic era or thousands of years far into the future would be a prefect era for it.

Jimbing likes this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "I will finish what his grandfather started."

Jimbing likes this.
  19. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    They had potential for an AMAZING Sith in Rey. If she went Darkside that would have opened things up for another trilogy. Kylo gets redeemed, so we get the happy ending even though he dies. and Rey turns evil as the ultimate twist. NEW TRILOGY VILLAIN. What a waste!

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Eh. It would have then gone from OT repeat to PT repeat.

And I believe them that they don't want 10-12 to happen anytime soon, or for there to be anticipation, they want a lull for the saga.

The more interesting possibility would have been that Ben's redeemed... and survives. That he's sentenced via tribunal, and Rey convinces them that he be stranded on a planet only she knows how to find... Ahch-To. Leaving him as a very different take on a mentor figure in any future Episode X.

21. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    In terms of new threats, I do have to say that I liked George's initial pitch of having the villains of 7-9 be criminal gangs. I guess we kinda got a taste of that in Solo, but I think there's enough material out of that concept you could easily have them be the villains of a whole trilogy.

DaddlerTheDalek and Tho Yor like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wasn't sure about them being the only big threat, but Lucas's idea of a Sith Lord being behind the (his idea was it being Maul) then makes it work together. A Sith for consistency, and so there's still a dark side threat and lightsaber fights and battles using the Force, but a Sith who doesn't want to rule the galaxy and instead profit and grow powerful through crime and chaos would have been very interesting. Iffy on his idea that it would have been Maul, though it could have worked.
    I kind of wonder, since Maul finally died on Tatooine and Boba survived Tatooine, if fan hopes of a Maul-possessed Boba on Tattooine in the Mandalorian might be true.

23. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I really think going forward for a while they will need to take a break on the big bad part. The next few movies should be of a smaller scale to reset the joy of just watching star wars with out all the conflict that the 7-9 gave us. Maybe a group of mixed Jedi survivors and people like Din say try to save a planet from slavery or something similar. Or a group like the bad bunch or even Rex help save a community from bad guys.

24. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    One essential approach to SW villains is to think in terms of threats to democracy or different forms of government that would have problems with democracy.

So the criminal element always works because that's essentially a desire for anarchy -- a world without laws or government. That also converges with modern oligarchical states like Russia, that are sort of like authoritarian criminal corporations for the 1%.

We've seen plenty of 20th Century totalitarianism, so we could explore different or earlier forms of authoritarianism -- monarchs, for instance. SW totalitarianism has tended to take a colonialist or fascist form. So we could do communism, which would provide a different feel.

Notice with the High Republic the focus is on viking/barbarian/pirate like forms of society.

We haven't really covered a religious extremist society that isn't based in the darkside. You could take qualities from the major monotheistic religions and create an enemy similar to the Puritans. They might have "light side" Force users who are actually full of hate and anger.

We could also have enemies who represent some of the problems we're facing with misinformation and disinformation these days. A government that controls its people through propaganda and then sends them out to commit horrifying acts. It could be a cult like world where the leader is a malignant narcissist and blames the New Republic for any of their societal problems.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well there was a 19 book series in the old EU which dealt with a threat that fits that description.