main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That is true. I know the asking price has a lot packed into it, I cannot see these asking prices / budgets surviving especially if Covid goes on for another year or more.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's something kinda interesting- Disney+'s YouTube channel has started doing their own "modern trailers" for titles, under a series called "Unofficial Official Trailers".

Some examples:

Except you're not considering the home video double-dip. If Tenet is the worst case scenario, next summer would reasonably hit that plus more (particularly with a film better received on the whole than Tenet). So, like you say, maybe they get $500m out of that (though, if NYC, LA and such open, that should easily go up to $600m at least) instead of the $800m-$1.2b that they would have otherwise anticipated.

Then they throw it to PVOD and streaming. A good chunk of the people who already saw it in theaters now go rent or buy a copy of the film at home, on top of the rentals and purchases from people who didn't see it in theaters. That's when, in total, they start hitting that $800m-$1.2b range.

Now, obviously, that's still less than what a theatrical run under normal conditions would have pulled in and the home video bonus would have happened anyways. However, that's still $500m+ that they wouldn't have gotten if they had released it straight to PVOD/streaming to begin with (especially since the max end of what a streamer sees such a release being valued at is only $400m, with the high end being "only" as low $600 if the studio is financially desperate, which only MGM really is).

And that's the breaking point between making these films profitable and still hitting/crossing that billion dollar mark, even if they're not doing it purely through theatrical revenue. And that's what I mean by saying it could be the difference of a billion dollars.

And for that, they absolutely will hold those films in their back pocket. Most of these films do not expire if they are held back (only Marvel might be argued has some degree of a "sell by date" due to the interconnected shows and release schedule- but even that is flexible with a little editing), so there's no reason for the studios to release them ASAP (outside of the separate issue of the theater chains themselves) no matter what losses are incurred. Even if that means delaying to 2022.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    No doubt budgets will be much smaller due to the risk involved. The day of the 200 plus million dollar budget film may be over.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Amen to that (and especially front of camera talent fees/deals)

Rylo Ken and christophero30 like this.
  5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm so glad we got a big budget Blade Runner sequel.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What if we got a "blade runner" TV series?

christophero30 likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The low budget horror business model stages a palace putsch.

Master_Lok and christophero30 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there is an anime series airing next year- that's a start :).

I think you may see them scale back how many of those are produced for the next year or so, depending on how 2021 plays out (especially if they're forced to sit on the ones that are already produced to wait out the pandemic entirely before releasing them). But they'll come back eventually.

Spectacle and scale breeds franchises- and franchises support the streaming platforms. Fast 11 is not going to suddenly become a mid-budget film, for instance, as that franchise cannot scale back to its roots at this point. And while solo Marvel projects can be more conservative in some cases (usually the ones that are earthbound or focused on fewer characters/locations) something like an Avengers film isn't going to be made for below $200m. Even a Star Wars film, with all the benefits of Volume-like technology, can only do a smaller-scale Star Wars story like Solo for barely under $200m (not counting the reshoots).

christophero30 and Princess_Tina like this.
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Maybe but I think we're living in a new world now. Will we ever go back to packed theaters?

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think the only way we ever go back to packed theaters is if we have a very successful vaccination program, people aren't afraid of getting vaccinated, and a period of 3 to 6 months has gone by without any new outbreaks or any reports of infections.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Blockbusters will never end, they're still shooting some right now, although they may have to work on co-financing deals with streamers and other studios since nobody is going to make the 1 billion dollar "profit" benchmark that studios see as a reason to make them for years. They'll still be around, how they're released is going to change. Eventually someone has to drop their asking price to 300 million to unload one to a streaming service. Netlix, Apple and Amazon could have afforded in the 600 million for No Time Die, they just didn't want to.

12. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Continuing my October viewing and reviewing with Larry Cohen cheesy-but-fun satirical schlockfest The Stuff, and dabbling in vampires with Fright Night (the original, although I thought the remake with David Tennant actually wasn't half bad either!)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eventually- it's just a matter of safety and the threat of the virus being eliminated. People will go back to concerts, sports, theaters and cinemas. The need to go out and do something will not go away- especially after people have been bottled up for over a year in some cases.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Did you see Chris Sarandon had a cameo in the Fright Night remake? He was a motorist who became one of Jerry's victims. I also loved the shots at various vampire-related franchises ("Dude, you read too much Twilight" and "Not that I want to be part of your Scooby gang.").

Master_Lok, R.D. and christophero30 like this.
  15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Heh, me too. "He's not misunderstood, he's the shark from Jaws!"

More horror-themed viewing form me lately with Shadow of the Vampire, which I feel forms a nice trifecta with the two versions of the classic Nosferatu, and my personal favorite zombie flick, Return of the Living Dead! Still surprising to many that the idea of zombies eating brains essentially originated with the latter...

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Considering basically everything after Hellraiser 2, I'm a bit apprehensive...but then if Barker's more directly involved that's one thing. Speaking of, I watched Nightbreed the other night, and while the costume effects were fun, it did affirm my feeling that his best adaptation is Candyman by far.

In meantime, rounded out my October horror viewing with a look at most of the Friday the 13th movies for the 40th anniversary of the original, with my retrospective here. :)

Charmbracelet and christophero30 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is that the last tentpole still in December? Feels like it. I mean, unless you think Death on the Nile is a "tentpole."

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Besides Nile, Dec also had Free Guy, Monster Hunter and News of the World, but nothing AAA like WW84. According to that article, if WW84 delays, Nile and Free Guy would delay too, while NOTW and MH would remain due to contractual PVOD obligations for NOTW and expected "non-euro market play" for MH.

But, yeah, it would effectively be the end of the holiday season (with only Croods being left in Nov).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  21. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Free Guy and Death on the Nile both are delaying releases. Interesting to see where they shift those dates or if they put them on streaming. The seem a little more edgy than Disney+ material so Hulu would be the destination there I guess.

Wonder Woman 84 moving in 3...2...1...

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    @R.D. cool Friday the 13th write up. The reboot was actually pretty good with the actor from Supernatural.

R.D. likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Free Guy and WW84 are really the two movies I'm looking forward to. Whatever happened to the Ghostbusters sequel? At the very least I had put that on my radar.

24. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I must have questionable tastes if Jason X is my favorite of the series. Well, second favorite behind the original. It's ridiculous and cheesy, but the kind of cheesiness it engages in is, like, my favorite kind of cheese. I'm semi-ashamed to admit that it scared me in parts when I was younger, but otherwise, I could laugh through the majority of it just fine.

I've seen all of the films, but the only ones that stick out are X, Friday the 13th (original) and Friday the 13th (remake). Oh, and whichever one where Jason machetes one guy in the face.

I actually really liked the remake. It's not my favorite horror remake (that goes to either The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Hills Have Eyes), but it has Danielle Panabaker in it, whom I have always crushed on, so it is definitely up there. It's also pretty suspenseful in parts without being too over-the-top gore-y.

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I enjoy the Nightmare on Elm St. series, esp the first 3 and New Nightmare. The second is very underrated imo. The reboot was okay as well. The one with Rosanne is unwatchable.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020