main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.02 - Chapter 10 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 5, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

3.7%
  2. 9

8.3%
  3. 8

34.9%
  4. 7

28.4%
  5. 6

12.8%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The AT-ST was kinda a monster episode too if you think about it(even had the red eyes effect ). So seems pretty standard now for the monster of the week or every other week for this series.

Was a bit bit off at times. Filoni's X-Wing pilot character always being around is silly. This one odd pilot covering a vast space territory that just so happens to coincide with the title character, and stretching from Ranzar Malk's station to this obscure planet not very far from Tatooine. I know small universe and the Force.

The run away from spiders but run right into or stand your ground against a kaiju Dragon creature is a bit awkward. Also unclear why he did not made better use of his extensive armory of guns and his pulse rifle, was it all depleted or he just forgot about it?! The Crest being made out've tin foil is kinda funny. The Falcon took worse damage in almost every medium and never looked like that, ditto for The Ghost,lol. The Jawas stripping it like they did last season and Kuiil's putting it back together just makes me think this ship is a cheap prop and gimmicky .

So the Kryka's aren't just native to Atollon anymore, they seemed to have got around after Rebels. For some reason the Kryka's on Rebels showed little to almost no vulnerability to blaster shots except by shooting them right in the eyes, but this is not the case on this show luckily for Djarin, the Frog lady, and those special X-Wing pilots(who did better than the generic Rebel pilots/soldiers on Rebels),lol.

fett 4 and DurararaFTW like this.
  2. JediMasterMark15

JediMasterMark15 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2020
    I completely agree with you. We gained nothing from this episode.

dick rodgers and fett 4 like this.
  3. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Maybe, maybe not. The New Republic has Din on their radar now; they could help out when the time comes to fight Gideon again. No way Favreau doesn't have at least one X-Wing v. TIE action scene in his show.

TadoFett and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (cross-posting from Lit thread)

Lovely atmospheric episode and some actual tension in the action that I wasn't expecting.

First, it looks like they're mimicking the typical streaming structure (and that of season 1) with the first three episodes forming one whole movie, so that's cool- should be interesting to see how these three play together as a whole compared to the first season (which also used its second chapter to tell a "sidestory" about his ship being damaged).

They did a much better job of hiding the seams of the Volume than in the opening scene of Chapter 10- what they did on the ice planet and in the cave was done very creatively and was pretty much flawless unless you know what you're looking for (versus the very obvious depth flaws during the opening street lamp shot in Chapter 10).

I loved the overall atmosphere here- not only the desert scenes early on but especially in the ice cave. And the build up to the Rebels spiders (or almost-Rebels spiders) was well done, quickly escalating far beyond your initial expectations (you think it'll be bunch of small spiders and a big mama spider, but no, you get various sizes in a swarm and multiple mamas).

And when the big mama stops the Razor Crest from taking off and then pierces the cockpit and you get this sense of dread and tension now that your expectations of how this would go are compleetly out the window (literallty).

The whole X-wing chase was also very cool. And fun that they brought back Trapper (guess he gets reassigned to other flight patterns and wingmates, lol).

The smaller moments, though, are also noteworthy- I loved the quiet talk between Din and the frog, and then via the droid. The quiet tension between the "traffic stop" moments and then "oh crap" moment when those S-foils open. Amy Sedaris being friendly but also a little harmlessly shady in her dealings made her character more interesting too.

It's also very cool that this episode goes into the consequences of the prison barge episode last season. That was arguably the most stand alone episode of the first season (tied with the Tatooine episode) but now were getting further relevance (much as we did last week with Chapter 9's ties to that Tatooine episode) with how his presence there during those events has both negative and positive consequences for Din's ability to move around freely. The use of the droid from that episode in this episode was surely no coincidence there, either.

The bounty hunter attack at the start also reminds us that the hunt for the child hasn't ended, which was also a nice touch.

I also couldn't be the only one who thought that, during that attack, the way the sun and sand reflected in his armor made him look like he was wearing blue-ish armor with yellow highlights, not unlike...

[​IMG]

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Although some of the sequences were well crafted, this was probably the weakest chapter to date for me. Doing back to back creature features feels redundant, even if their executions differed. Also, I think there was a huge missed opportunity with the Child here. Right when I thought we were about to build on his connection to the Force with him being drawn to the eggs, it turned out he was just hungry, thus leading to another sets of gags. His oral fixation isn't necessarily out of character, but it's nothing we haven't already seen. Imagine if instead he felt compelled to protect those eggs from the spiders.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    whostheBossk and dick rodgers like this.
  6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I disagree. We picked up a new character who will lead us into Chapter 11. We learned that Mando has held on to the droid and it is still operable to some degree. We also learned that the bounty on the Child and Mando is still active, the New Republic knows Mando and his actions, and that the Razor Crest can fly after taking quite a beating. All of these are bread crumbs for later episodes, someone like Jon Faverau doesn’t write those things in for nothing, they’re there for a reason and this establishes them. This is a good example of the storytelling concept commonly referred to as Chekhov’s Gun. In short - if a rifle is on the wall in Act 1, it must be fired by Act 3 or it shouldn’t be there at all. Same thing applies here.

7. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I kept thinking that Baby Yoda was "always thinking with his stomach!" after his waking of the spider colony...plus he kept eating those frog woman's eggs! That's not nice, Baby Yoda!
    Not my favorite episode, but it called back to events of last season. Sure, he helped get one prisoner off the ship, but supplied them with three wanted criminals in return. Plus they recognized his efforts to keep them from killing poor Davan, even though he wasn't successful. I kinda hope Mando finds some way to rebuild that droid, so it isn't a killer anymore, like what Kuill did with IG-11.

8. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Really enjoyed this episode but it gave me the heebie geebies (you'll know why). Felt it was laying groundwork at this point rather than advancing the storyline which I'm fine with. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There's always a bigger fish.

Always.

Always.

LedReader, RetropME, TadoFett and 2 others like this.
  10. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Kind of lackluster, but this show deserves the benefit of the doubt.

RetropME, Chancellor Yoda and Jaxxon- like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm totally fine with this being filler. It was fun, and a different enough monster encounter to justify its existence.
    When Frog Lady started hopping I lost it for a second but it became less funny as they were still in a sticky predicament.

12. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Din's interaction with the New Republic in this episode: “Technically, you should be under arrest, but you saved our lieutanant and you brought down a few wanted criminals, so you’re off the hook.” (More or less)

You know, this does explain why Poe was forgiven of his crimes in the Spice Runners and why he was allowed to serve in the Navy.

13. FrogEater315

FrogEater315 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2020
    I wonder how Bor Mullet feels about this episode. I don’t expect him to have warm feelings toward it.

This was my least favorite episode but it was good enough to be a 7/10.

14. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Pretty meh episode. I enjoyed watching, but nothing happened. Not surprised they gave this one to Peyton Reed. 6/10

15. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    The Rebellion made Lando and Han generals, so it's not particularly new to forgive.

16. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    nice worldbuilding episode lots of info drops about the state of the galaxy
    a little too much baby yoda comedy but otherwise a fine episode
    not as good as ep 1 though but that's to be expected

TadoFett and my kind of scum like this.
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Also not sure I needed another Filoni cameo. It's a quibble, of course, but getting a bit distracting at this point.

RetropME, Fin McCool and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. FrogEater315

Nov 6, 2020
    Yeah, I think he should more or less stay in Marvel. Hopefully, Carl Weathers and Robert Rodriguez’s episodes are way better than this.

19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This episode may be more meaningful than it seems at first glance, if I'm reading its rhyming imagery correct. We have three sets of "children" in this episode, the mother's eggs, Baby Yoda, and the spider kids. The mother's eggs represent possibility and innocence, the newborn spiders turn this possibility into something darker, ravenous, and malevolent. Baby Yoda shares qualities with the eggs and spiders and has been associated with eggs before. The possibility they hold seems to be a theme the show is developing, and carries over from the Jawas consumption of the Mudhorn egg.

Some here have commented that BY eating the eggs seems wrong in some way, but that's only if you believe he's purely innocent and holds no potential for growing into something darker. But we've already seen that potential and it's clear his moral growth is a major aspect of the plot.

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I loved this episode. I'm kind of surprised to see all of the negativity. I mean, I get it on some level but there is a lot of plot and character development in this one. It's definitely a bit more subtle development, but I think a lot of ground was laid in this episode for the future. It also had some good old fashioned star wars weirdness and I am definitely ok with that.
    I find though that I am usually opposite of the majority when it comes to "filler" episodes of shows as they end up being some of my favorite episodes. In literature, I prefer the slice of life sort of tale to the more bombastic epic tale, so these sort of episodes really work for me.

21. FrogEater315

Nov 6, 2020
    I do love the nods to Aliens in the end since the way the spider egg’s top part opened up looked like the opening of a facehugger egg.

And, if next week’s episode shows the Frog couple delivering Din Djarin and The Child to another Mandalorian, I wonder, will it be Bo-Katan or Sabine?

Also, at least this feels like continuing Season 2’s story instead of acting episodic, since it started where Chapter 9 left off. And, that’s what I think Favreau and Filoni said by saying Season 2 is a more-connected story compared to Season 1.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  22. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Sadly, the opening scene was the most enjoyable part for me. I cracked up at the jetpack hoodwink, and I love how nonchalant it was (though we don't know if Din was smiling under the helmet). I like that Din is willing to give things up for the kid, but will have it both ways where he can.

I think there's an interesting suggestion of where Din is now, as @Jolee Bindo pointed out about the parenting. Din is struggling in that regard, while he's transporting someone, which I see as basically an echo of his time with the Guild. And he's doing the latter as a means to an end, for the sake of the kid. It's like he's still being pulled in different directions to a degree, so this seeming to be a transition episode kind of fits.

All in all, there's some food for thought in this one, but not much that would draw me back to it.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Only thing that can be said is that The Child likes to eat, and likes eggs/caviar. He ate the eggs(which have no life until fertilized by the male which is not really the same as a real a frog ) of the Frog-like Alien lady, then the Child proceeded to start eating the living baby Kryka spiders in the cocoon-egg-like contraptions - but it was clear they were alive inside and the adult was protecting the eggs/hatchlings from the very mischievous and very carnivorousness Child .

24. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    The episode was decent. I was struck by baby Yoda not behaving. I think he's reaching the testing boundaries age, which might have implications in further episodes. I think this episode was laying the groundwork for future BY shenanigans.

25. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Im in the minority i guess, but loved this episode, great action and monster design. This universe really does feel lived in which sometimes is hard for star wars to achieve. Yes it did not move the plot much, but doing a great job of bringing us up to the new republic era.