main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Moved to July 8th, basically a year later than its original release date.

I wouldn't be surprised if either did go to streaming but they also seem to be in the A-AA range so they also don't seem like they'd definitely go to streaming, either. DOTN was also one of the, if not the, final actual 20th Century Fox-produced films, so it'd be a shame to have that legacy end up being dumped to streaming.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I may have mentioned this in here already but I rewatched Adventureland. It's a great coming of age story about a group of teens working at an amusement park. From the director of Superbad. Great cast: Kristen Stewart (surprisingly good) Jessie Eisenberg, Ryan Reynolds, Bill Hader. A feel good movie that is highly recommended.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw Adventureland a few years back and liked it a lot. I've said it before, but Kristen Stewart is a very underrated actress. She's excellent in the 2017 film, Personal Shopper.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Same for Clouds of Sils Maria.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think both Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson have done exactly the right thing post-Twilight which is use the astonishingly huge amounts of money they made and their "star" status to enable them to do really interesting small projects and they have become two of the most interesting actors of their generation in my opinion.

Anyone who is curious about Pattinson re: The Batman needs to watch Good Time, the movie the Safdie brothers did right before Uncut Gems. He's amazing in that movie. Also really good and nearly unrecognizable in a supporting part in The Lost City of Z. I need to catch up with the movies Pattinson did with David Cronenberg too. I think Maps to the Stars and Cosmopolis are the ones*.

And I've talked about The Lighthouse enough, but, yeah. The Lighthouse.

*They both got pretty mixed receptions, but I need to see them for the casts alone (Pattinson, Paul Giamatti, Sarah Gadon, Juliette Binoche & Mathieu Almaric in Cosmopolis; Julianne Moore, Pattinson, Mia Wasikowska, John Cusack & Sarah Gadon in Maps to the Stars; those are insane casts).

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Seconded. The Lighthouse.

darthcaedus1138 and Master_Lok like this.
  7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Stewart is good playing characters uncomfortable in their own skin but she seems to do this a lot.

8. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I never even knew Roseanne was in a Nightmare on Elm St. movie. Looking it up, I don't think I've ever seen that one. The only films I recall viewing are the original, the third one, New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason and the remake.

The third one, Dream Warriors was pretty cool. I liked the idea of the characters weaponizing their dreams against Freddy.

christophero30 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The MGM movie channel is running a Sean Connery triple feature tomorrow, starting at 12N EST. They're showing "A Bridge Too Far", "The Offense" and "The Great Train Robbery".

christophero30 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think it's 6. Freddy was the Wicked Witch from Oz in one scene. By that point he had just become a stand up comedian.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Charmbracelet likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    My theater is Regal. :(

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cinemas in England are closed again due to our lockdown.

christophero30 likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s better that way. Hopefully they are getting some relief. AMC only has enough cash to last into December so it’s not looking good over here

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think there might be a chance WB will stick to that Dec release date for Wonder Woman 84 since they were the only studio that released a blockbuster with Tenet. Unless that was just 100% Nolan behind that release date.

I'll be interesting that / if the Oscar contender movies get a theatrical release like Nomandland which is set for an early Dec release date, even though the rules have changed with the whole "streaming/intended for theatrical release/2 month extension". Like News of the World is set for late Dec like some limited release "contender" movies are.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    They learned their lesson with Tenet. There won't be any releases of major movies in North America in December. There will be a series of capitulations into streaming services for the holidays. Not the major releases, but many many sub $100 million movies will get dumped into streaming.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Best Picture for Sonic the Hedgehog, here we come!

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Sonic will run rings around the competition.

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I happen to have a bridge for sale, if you're interested.

Seeing that the first one made over 50% of it's box office in North America, no way WB is taking that risk. Their biggest hurdle right now is probably finding a new place to slot it next year.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Luke02, BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    he sold me a bridge last year. It's a trap.

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For your way-past cool consideration, voters.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    *Browsing the Hillbilly Elegy reviews* ****ty oscar bait films have returned, nature is healing.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just saw a ad for Croods: The New Age, November 25th In Theaters. I guess Universal is really going through with it with the two week later VOD release although that wasn't mentioned on the 15 second ad. Be another test balloon I guess.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020