main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.02 - Chapter 10 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 5, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

3.7%
  2. 9

8.3%
  3. 8

34.9%
  4. 7

28.4%
  5. 6

12.8%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He literally says "root leaf".

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    so I watched for a second time, still think it’s kind of a weak episode by itself

that said, it could be a decent middle episode when viewed between one and three

as much as I love the adventure of the week feel to the series, there are episodes that do better when viewed as a set, this is probably one of them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was pretty stoked that we got another snow planet AND we got a desert planet last week. Pretty rad stuff. If we can get another desert planet and snow planet this season I'll be on cloud nine. :p

4. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    When? Only mention of it I can find is stuff from junior books.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    We saw Baby Yoda eat two frogs in season one. Why are we surprised that he’s eating frog eggs? I like chicken. And naturally, I’m down with chicken eggs too. :)

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I haven't read those, but I'm pretty sure Yoda says it in the movie. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'll check when I'm not on my phone.

MrDarth0 and DarthRamRod like this.
  7. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    It's kinda like that adam sandler movie where he let's the kid eat ketchup all day. Mando may have to figure out what fills up Baby Yoda's belly because it appears space soup ain't doing it.

8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I double checked - he does say "Root leaf. I cook." in the movie.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh all these years I've been hearing "good eat" and I just chalked it up to his usual wackiness.

10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    An unfamiliar concoction to a desert dwelling farm boy but one that he finds surprisingly pleasant.

EDIT: Rootleaf, just one word.

You learn something new everyday....

TadoFett likes this.
  11. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    There was a kid in high school that prided himself on knowing everything in the movies, but I won a 'bet' with him over this very bit of trivia. He said it was unfair that you had to turn on captions to understand it, and refused to pay.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't particularly enjoy this weeks episode that much, not because of the seemingly common consensus that it didn't seem to take the story forward, I know its a stepping stone with the passenger claiming to know of the existence of a Madalorian but I just didn't care for what this episode focused on. I didn't like the designs of ant alien, the frog alien or the spider either. The conversations between Mando and the X-wing pilots, referring to the new rules and the Mandos previous exploits were interesting enough I guess for the short period it was on, yes we get to see another world and the slowly slowly approach all adds to the world building that's going on, but outside of that I felt this was the worst episode overall.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I loved to see that the X-Wing pilots were not easily fooled, and that they were very reasonable, exactly what we expect from the "good guys" that are now in charge.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    B3, Riv_Shiel, DannyD and 8 others like this.
  14. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    That's how I look at it. This is just the part of a movie that drags. I HATE it because I want to get to the finale already where they're most likely keeping all the really good stuff. So once that episode airs on Friday, I'll probably ease up on my views on this filler episode. At worst, I'll probably just never watch it again anyway. There's really nothing from this episode that I ever feel the need to ever see again.

RetropME likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I love that Favreau doesn't care about people who want movies and shows to get on with it. He's just making what he likes. And if it drags for some? So be it.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He even resisted the Mafia
    [​IMG]

17. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    Nothing wrong with always drinking the kool-aid and loving everything. But that's also weird of you to take delight in how other people feel if they don't like something you do. You should be more like Favreau and not worry about it either. Just sayin'[face_dunno]

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You may have misinterpreted me. First, I didn't like the ST, personally, so I'm not drinking any Kool Aid and definitely not "loving everything." Second, I'm not taking delight in people not liking the Mandalorian (or the dragging story). I'm taking delight in Favreau doing whatever he likes. There's an artistic freedom to it that's refreshing, and reminds me of George at his best. That comes through big time in Mando, unlike in the ST, where I get the distinct feeling that filmmakers are constantly pandering to what they think Star Wars is, or isn't, to most people, and not simply focusing on their creative interests.
    Clearly, the X-wing pilots were part of the Biden transition team and not the previous Administration.

19. DarthRamRod

Oct 1, 2018
    It wasn't one of my favorite episodes (although I enjoyed it more with a 2nd viewing) but it definitely set things up for a payoff in future episodes. I look at this series like it's a book or comic, where there's an ebb and a flow to it. Jim Cornette (legendary wrestling manager,booker,etc) has talked on his podcast on the need for diversity in the type of wrestlers you sign. He's said numerous times "if your promotion has nothing but giants then you don't have any giants." I feel like that applies to storytelling as well. If every episode is a fast-paced spectacle with tons of twists and action then none of the episodes are a fast-paced spectacle with tons of twists and action.

20. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    This helps me find the words to my feelings on the matter. Is this one of my favorite episodes? Absolutely not. But there's nothing wrong with it for what it's trying to be. The reason my favorite episodes are so good is they do the work to build up to them beforehand. You have to get all the pieces in place and established so that the payoff is there when you get to the juicy parts. You can't have major reveals, battles, betrayals, and conclusions every week. You'll burn out of material too quickly. I know we're going to get there in the end though and the mean time it's nice to just sit back and enjoy the ride. I don't cook but I know there are people who do it because they enjoy the whole process and not just at the end when you get something delicious if you followed all the steps correctly.
    [​IMG]

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved the first 25 minutes of this one then had to turn it off. Damn arachnophobia.

So not sure how to rank it. I did love the snow planet and New Republic pilots.

Bor Mullet and TadoFett like this.
  22. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    One thing that I'm quickly learning with each of these Chapters is that they require 2nd and 3rd viewings to really appreciate how brilliant this show is.

So often one can get caught up in the initial euphoria or in-difference with each Chapter that the 2nd and 3rd viewings really help and allow you to appreciate the story being told and what is presented on-screen. Because with the first viewings, one can often get caught up looking for the "Easter Eggs", the artwork designs (characters / weapons / space ships / creatures / etc) from decades ago, the nods to fandom, the tie-ins to the greater overall story and so on. The 2nd and 3rd viewings really help you to discover the magic of Favreau and co.

After viewing The Passenger multiple more times, my appreciation of the alien ice-planet grew even more profoundly. Those icy catacombs and the spiders that live within, for me, this makes the galaxy feel like a bigger place. Its not a built up area of civilization, its a remote corner of the galaxy where these creatures would just go about their lives - and with this Chapter, Din and co just pop in and out of their lives for a brief few moments. And this interaction and its look and location get the imagination flowing.

Multiple more viewings has allowed me to appreciate Amy Sedaris's Peli Motto character even more. She is quirky and a touch eccentric and no wonder why. She spends most of her time around robots and non-humans that don't speak galactic Basic. And Sedaris acts this out perfectly in my opinion and I adore her character. I like how the characters in this show are not all the same - they are their own character.

Another one was Din's interactions with the New Republic X-Wing pilots; incidently, it makes a big difference when you can watch the show on a bigger screen and with the volume up, as opposed to an old work laptop that has volume issues - you can actually hear what is being said. What I love is that it feeds into the greater story with the New Republic slowly expanding out once they remove the Imperial Remnants scattered across the Galaxy. The interaction also shows what kind of Government the New Republic wants to be; where the X-Wing pilots gave Din multiple warnings to cease what he is doing and ultimately, never fired a shot. This is a distinct difference to the last governing body where an Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot may have given you one warning, but that would be it before they fired.

And finally, I now appreciate more how fast The Child is actually growing in what it understands and how it acts. 2nd and 3rd viewings, whilst paying close attention to mannerisms and interactions and facial expressions, you understand that its not a baby any more. Its knowledge and grasp on things has increased significantly - and thats outstanding subtle character growth Favreau.

I think sometimes I just have to say to myself to forget about focusing on the ultimate destination and just sit back, look out the window and enjoy the ride - because its a damn good one.

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The day would not be complete without a not so subtle political message inter-woven into your posts....

Some of us want to leave that crap at the door when visiting this place.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Relax. It was a joke. Also, forgive me. I’m a little bit anxious about a possible undemocratic coup taking place in the country where my friends and family live. Star Wars has said something about this kind of situation from time to time. And so it’s hard for me to separate what’s happening in my own life, from what happens in the GFFA. It’s not just dismissible “crap” when it’s the place you’re from.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If this message-board had existed while the Nazis were marching into Paris, people would probably have been OK with an occasional mention of it... ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.