main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Concept of "Bipartisanship" and Alternatives

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dark Ferus, May 11, 2020.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay, so if not separation then the only alternatives are compromise or civil war. And Republicans refuse to compromise.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I didn't write anything that was remotely controversial in the first part of my post either.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Also, @heels1785 or another mod, I am open to changing the thread title. Maybe "Alternatives to Bipartisanship"?.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I know didn't. I only singled out the last sentence because my backstory is different. I never saw the things you did.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    did you read lordban's post? it's not a north/south or east/west divide, it's an urban/rural divide and there isn't any part of the country that is all urban or all rural.

Rew, Lord Vivec and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I did read it and I saw the map.

I am suggesting that we change that by giving people time to move after establishing which parts of the country are designated for the left-wing government and vice versa.

I am aware that my idea has no serious chance of being enacted and I personally have no way of making my idea heard to the actual government. I just don't think our current democracy can last without getting violent.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think you've really thought your idea through very well. rural people aren't moving to cities and vice versa. so in your plan half the country would have no farming and extremely overcrowded cities, while the other half would have people competing for not enough farm land and cities that look like something out of the walking dead.

Rew, Lord Vivec and SuperWatto like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What about all the people who don't want to leave their homes?

Rew and tom like this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A nation built around forced migrations might still be better than one founded on slavery.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Emperor Ferus. Your idea is complete nonsense. Not only would it never happen, but it would be completely disastrous if it did, and wouldn't last very long. It would make things much worse. It would INCREASE the chance of war, not decrease it. It would create completely untenable strategic positions for BOTH SIDES. It would demand a war to settle it. West Coast Left Wing America would be completely cut off from East Coast Left Wing America, and Right Wing America would be cut off from the coastline; both situations are completely untenable for any country. Right Wing America would see the opportunity to drive Left Wing America into the ocean and act upon it.

There's also ideological victory.

Yodaminch, tom and Darth Guy like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So then what do we make of this? https://newrepublic.com/article/160084/voters-said-theyre-worried-climate-many-voted-trump-anyway

What good is it to win the argument and debate if people are suicidal masochists who vote for the opposite of what they want?

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Some people need to read up on the migrations between India and Pakistan when partition happened

Spoiler alert, the death toll was very high.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Mission already accomplished in terms of ideological victory.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Keeping the same ruling class but further dividing everyone else, forced relocation of at least tens of millions of people, millions likely dead, economic catastrophe, two nuclear-armed states hostile to one another. Sounds brilliant. As PG mentioned, the closest analog is South Asia and it's working out great for them!

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The consumerist distraction box is nearing perfection. It's handheld now, can be taken anywhere. They've nearly cracked the code for the permanent heads up display version. Then we'll get the neural interface. After that we won't feel a thing.

Corporate capture of all branches of government but the judiciary is complete. And the judiciary is just a reflection of the capture of the executive/legislative branches. There will be no ideological victory for the left within the framework of the current system.

16. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    At this point I think the structural factors are all but prohibitive of reforming either of the two major parties in any significant way. There's too much money, self-interest, and sheer inertia embedded in the major party apparatuses. That lack of responsiveness to what's going on at the grassroots level is why I'm actually in favor of kind of wholesale revolution, but I don't have the slightest idea how that could actually materialize.

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    it would be mass slaughter

and it also won't be bc it won't happen until the bottom falls out

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    A third party? Naah... forced resettlement.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The clear path forward is one from history: building a labor movement that's powerful enough to force a major party, the Democrats, to cater to them. This happened in the 1930s and 1940s. Capital fought back of course in the postwar era, but it will as long as our economic system exists and a third party-- and the way our system is built the best we could achieve is a new two-party dynamic-- isn't going to change that. The ruling class would just take that over too without a mass movement to resist them.

Rew, Bacon164, Alpha-Red and 4 others like this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes well I hear there's talk about a truckers' strike.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A flight attendants' strike forced the Republicans to fund the government during Trump's first term. Because union participation in the U.S. is the lowest it has been in the past 80-100 years that's only a glimpse of what labor could do.

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I see your point.
    My point is mostly: as long as you don't have a significantly-sized green party, your politics will keep sucking.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The U.S. Green Party is a joke that only really does anything during Presidential elections. If they were serious about gaining power, they would work on getting candidates elected to local and state offices. Like I said, my position is that a third party's biggest success would be just taking the place of one of the major parties in the two-party system, something that hasn't happened since the 1850s and was caused by the issue of slavery. Absent a strong labor movement they would be captured by the same interests that dominate the Democrats and Republicans.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So this is the thread where Emperor Ferus argued for mass relocations...

CT-867-5309 and tom like this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess the Greens have an opening here in California given the state of the Republicans? But yeah, it would just end up being Democrats vs Greens instead of Republicans vs Democrats. Same old two-party system, different party names.