main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.02 - Chapter 10 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 5, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

3.7%
  2. 9

8.3%
  3. 8

34.9%
  4. 7

28.4%
  5. 6

12.8%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Pretty sure Disney would be reminding us there are good people on both sides

Jolee Bindo and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  2. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    This episode was decent. I thought it was a bit odd that he refers to the woman as a frog. Do frogs exist in the gffa, or is her species actually called Frog?

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I get so sick of that in modern stories... This obsession with "Grey characters" is not interesting anymore as it's being done every other day. I love the black and white characters of the OT!

4. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    All of the imperial characters in Disney Star Wars are portrayed as being unequivocally evil, same as the OT.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Mod Edit: Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2020
  6. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    The Child eats some sort of frog in Season 1

7. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    Do you guys think the bug in the cantina supposed to be a reference to the giant mantis that was on the set of ANH but cut from the film?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The one story that comes to mind where Disney did “grey characters” well was Lost Stars—and even there, while characters working for the Empire were humanized, the Empire itself was unequivocally positioned as the wrong side and a side that good people should absolutely feel bad for taking—no “b...bu...but...what if totalitarianism is good and fighting totalitarianism is bad and what if this position is worth considering?” nonsense.

Thankfully I’m not seeing that with Mando—the few anti-Jedi sentiments that have been inserted here and there, did not come with the narrative that we as an audience are supposed to be on board.

It’s yet another reason that I loved the New Republic pilots in this episode. They were shown is indisputably on the right side.

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    @The Chalk Jedi

Yeah. We're not turning this thread into a political one. We're here to discuss this episode of the Mandalorian. If you want to discuss politics there's a thread for that elsewhere.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    A grey POV for Star Wars characters in-universe is acceptable... as long as it's contrasted with an objective morality on screen. For all that Moff Gideon's representative spoke in more ambiguous and morally relative terms, it was clearly contrasted with his actions being horrific. And the Mandos' ethos clearly has a lot of moral ambiguity and "Blue and Orange Morality"... but they've deliberately shown where it's not sufficient to be a good man or woman.

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, I think this series has been pretty clear on where the characters morals are, not really any greyness here

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Lucas began including real ambiguity into the saga as far early as "The Empire Strikes Back". This was apparent in the decisions made by the leading characters, along with Luke and Anakin's emotional journeys in "Return of the Jedi". The only SW movie made by Lucas that came close to having a black-and-white morality - at least to me - was "A New Hope".

I never understood this aversion to moral ambiguity. Humans are basically ambiguous anyway. Are we not allow to express this in our works of fiction?

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on how it’s done. When a story tries to pretend that moral ambiguity exists where it absolutely does not, and it is dangerous to pretend it does—such as in a debate between fascism/totalitarianism and democratic rule by the people—that’s a problem. And I did not see that in the OT.

14. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    There is a background of moral ambiguity in The Mandalorian with how the New Republic has been set up with some of Cara Dune's comments in Season 1 about her unit being used to suppress protests after the war. That seems to play into the political cynicism of the Sequel Trilogy, which begins with the NR collapsing under the pressure of hateful radicals following years of lukewarm policy towards them. Plenty of historic and especially modern-day parallels there.

The X-Wing pilots are interesting in the context of this year, embodying a certain idealised vision of what law enforcement should be - a very high level of restraint with the use of force (at no point do they fire upon the Razor Crest despite Mando ignoring several warnings) and also, crucially, preferring mercy and forbearance at the end rather than the cold application of their authority.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    So because Its Root Leaf Stew that doesn't mean he is a vegetarian. where in the movies or TV shows does it say Yoda was a vegetarian? May be Yoda put beef bouillon or something like it from his planet in the stew? I will also reiterate that if to get the line we need subtitles that's not fair because for many years on TV in the 80s and 90s and on VHS and in the theater back in the day most never saw the subtitles until 20-30 years ago when Subtitles were more readily available. for instance I always thought Yoda said Never For Tact for defense but with Subtitles it turned out I was wrong he says Attack! bottom line it was root leaf stew but whos to say Yoda didn't catch something in the swamp and throw it in as well!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    TheYodaPagoda and TadoFett like this.
  16. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I like this very much.

Also, I think some more Galaxy-wide post-war ROTJ aspects play into the overall story too. The Bloodline novel describes how the post-war Government eventually became comprised of Populists and Centrists; where the Centrists preferred the law and order that was around under the Empire. Obviously they were naive or quick to forget the evils commited by Palpatine, Vader, Tarkin and so on, but certain ideals like law and order were looked upon favourably by these people - where Admiral Rae Sloane is a prime example of this. And maybe this was like this because immediately post-Empire, like in Chapter 9 and the events that led to Cobb Vanth getting Boba's armour, maybe there were situations where militia groups came in and seized power. The Treaty brokered between Mon Mothma and the some of the Imperial Remnants after the Battle of Jakuu led to arms and military de-esculation and when combined with ineffectual Government, this created a vaccum for bad people to come along. The moral ambiguity then exists in the form of a thought where if the Empire's law and order (a Centrist viewpoint and ideal) were in place (except without the evil, the oppression, the corruption and so on), would these bad people be able to assume power in these places?

And I share the same thoughts on the X-Wing pilots. They essentially wanted to "pull him over and ask some questions", but maybe their orders from "up higher" dictates that they don't shoot as a way of distinguishing this Government's ideals from those of the Empire's.

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The moral of it all is that those gun toting Militia run by a crazy old woman were right all along.
    We should be Doomsday Preppers.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No, I get all that... I just find this modern obsession with good guys/bad guys being blurred a little tiresome [face_peace] It's closer to the real world sure, but I love basic good vs evil stories with my GFFA storylines :cool:

The grey for me was always the underworld - Neither good nor evil.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    The concept of balance of the force practically demands a grey jedi storyline.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not really, no. Not unless you change what balance means from what Lucas stated (in comments and the movies). Remember that balance was destroyed by the darkside rising quickly, after hundreds of years of the light dominating and the dark being almost nowhere to be seen. The balance of the force was never about light and dark being in balance with each other, but instead about one being the regular flow while the other was a damaging influence. There was always some level of darkness involved, but the more powerful the darkside became, the more it disrupted the balance of the force.

If balance was about neither light nor dark dominating, than the chosen one wouldn't have appeared when he did. He also wouln't have brought balance by ending the Sith. Nor would the chosen one have stated that Rey should bring back the balance (by destroying the Sith) after Palpatine managed to come back once more.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Frog, Falcon...

22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yep. Also a nod to the fact that the director of the episode also directed the Ant-Man.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If you haven’t watched this episode twice, I highly recommend it. Once the shock of not seeing Boba or other expected things is gone, you realize that this episode is focused very squarely on Baby Yoda’s character development. And in that context, it’s really great. I consider it now in my top 5 episodes.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't like it on my first watch, but did enjoy it a lot more the second time. It's still my least favorite episode of the series though, even if it contains some real gems. But I'll watch it again tonight. I hope I enjoy it more then.

25. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    The part where Mando sends the ping, followed by one X-wing pilot asking the other to switch over to channel 2, and then Mando looks out the window to see them both lock their s-foils in attack position is one of my new favorite scenes in all of Star Wars. [face_rofl]