main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    send a bunch of mimes to meet him then.

solojones and Lordban like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So what do you say are the chances that any of the elections aren’t certified on time

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The Constitution says nothing about him conceding therefore never expect one ever. He will go to his grave never saying it. His diehard supporters will say the same thing but I honestly do not pay much attention to that since these are the same people who said Obama was not a natural born US citizen therefore was never really president. In the past they were just in their basements screaming to the wall. But thanks to the internet and right wing media, they are now starting to become Congressional members.

Meanwhile the court cases are going like you expected

It was nice to see the judge implicitly threaten his license but at some point they need to start threatening sanctions since this truly makes a mockery of our judicial system and again judges hate more then anything else their time wasted which this is doing. They are not interested in this charade.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They are doing a hand recount and they have nine days to do it. I would say it’s more likely that the Secretary of State says within a couple of days that they can’t do a hand recount quickly enough and the results prior to the recount stand.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh that’s good. Plus I really don’t know if trump realizes there is literally no chance the recount changes anything

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the logic is since Covid19 has existed every currently sitting President has contracted it

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course he doesn’t. He likes math about as much as he likes reading.

Runjedirun and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Perfect logic.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    You are too kind. Just to be honest though, if you win, I will probably be passing this off to Jeffrey Toobin who says he'll pay me at least 20k for that call

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Just holding a collapsing wall with their hands. Eventually it'll fall on them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-campaign-sues-michigan-prevent-155942570.html

(Reuters) - Donald Trump's presidential campaign on Wednesday sued Michigan to block the U.S. state from certifying last week's election results, where the president has trailed Democrat Joe Biden.

According to a complaint filed in a federal court in western Michigan, many people have submitted affidavits describing alleged misconduct in the voting, with the focus on the Democratic stronghold of Wayne County, which includes Detroit.

The allegations are similar to those raised by the Trump campaign and some Republicans in lawsuits in several states. Legal experts have said the litigation is unlikely to result in Trump getting a second term in the White House.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah I be surprised if they even got thru about half of it before the Secretary of State calls it which normally happens in a recount. You get thru not half the ballots and realize nothing is changing except a few hundreds votes often times for the person ahead and they just call it. I saw clips of the Georgia Secretary of State's press conference today. Even though he is a Republican he too is sick of this "fill in the blank" and just wants to certify the vote so he can start getting ready for the senate runoff races.

I do find it interesting that Trump in the end is being done partly by being clueless how politics work. Yes state and local election officials are often either Democrats or Republicans but they are often on an inland on their own as I tell my wife they are like a punter on a football team. Yes they are part of the team but really they are not. And perhaps most importantly Trump and his cult have no clue are often friends with each other regardless of party. Trump and his team really thought these people show up to the polling place with guns and knives. Little does they know they often show up with coffee, donuts and later on pizza to share with each other. As the GOP election official from Buck County in PA we are all friends who just want to see a fair and free election which is what we had. Perhaps Trump instead of worrying about the fact that she brought coffee and donuts to the polling site (the nerve LOL) but rather why Buck County flipped from him to Biden this past election, he would have won. Notice though that Trump does not target Buck County that went from him to Joe but rather Philly where many of the voters are Black. But he is not racist. *rolls eyes*

Edit: Again he targets only the Black communities @Yoda's_Roomate even though there is example after example of White communities in Michigan flipping. But again he is not a racist. So sick of this fill in the blank.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    When Trump gets thrown in prison will he get secret service protection in Jail?

13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    1. This is charade is for Trump to scam and the GOP can get his cult into a frenzy for GA. IF he McC loses GA, and his leadership, he and the rest of the GOP will be investigated and their con will be brought to light.

2. If he concedes now, he and the GOP can't milk his cult, under campaign finance laws. So he has to keep up the pretense that the election is still going on. Which is why he's also floating 2024. He could set that up and campaign starting Jan 1, and get more money.

3. But 2024 only works if Trump isn't a loser. His cult hates losers. He needs to be a fighter. When it doesn't concede, he'll be able to say he fought to the bitter end, never gave up, isn't a loser, and in the eyes of his cult he and they will be a victim of theft and corruption of the Antifa Dems and set himself up for Revenge of Trump: 2024.

4. Or if we can't escape this dark timeline: once the EC votes for Biden, he'll declare himself as the real winner, and promise to not go anywhere, send in the troops (that are dedicated to him) to fight whatever protesters storm the streets. Lockdown Dem cities. Or use the pandemic as an excuse for lockdowns in the extremely unlikely hope that this will force the government from Biden's inauguration.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I love how Roberts and Kavanaugh expressed skepticism about striking down the entire ACA during a one-hour argument and now the press is like "Obamacare is saved!"

While I don't expect much in the way of civics knowledge from the majority of my fellow Americans, I can unequivocally state that oral arguments are at best, a minimal part of how the Supreme Court decides cases.

A great YouTube video of an interview with Justice Stephen Breyer here. He talks mostly about the Court and the rest of the world, but his insight into how the Court functions is really fascinating. That being said, oral arguments mean pretty much nothing in regards to the outcome.

15. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I think he would have to get secret service detail while in prison.

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    2024 is just another scam as it's @DarkGingerJedi just a way to pay for his legal funds since well he is going to need them as he is about to be sued and indicted like he never has before. As Keith Olbermann said he simply thinks he can simply sue his way out of any trouble as he used the tactic of paying only 90 cents for the dollar on construction jobs and then daring the opposing party to sue them knowing it will cost them more then it is worth therefore they often drop it (but not always, a few took him to court and won even though it costed them more then just letting it go) therefore Trump think he can simply sue his way to a second term any trouble lies himself out there post presidency. What he doesn't understand is the government has a unlimited amount of resources at their deposal to go after him with and his creditors like Deutsche Bank unlike some carpenter as the means and money to take him to the court over owning them money. I really am not worried about his 2024 talk, it is just scam and in the end, the guy is a coward therefore I fully expect him to do like Cohen said and simply skip town before the inauguration. He will let Pence handle that.

And JFC even Boris Johnson is mocking him calling Trump, "the former president'. When Boris Johnson is giving you verbal wedgies and wet willy, it's time to pack it in LOL!

Rew likes this.
  17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    One good thing about oral arguments though is that you can quickly gauge the attitude of bench toward your argument. Judges often 'intuit' an outcome before the legal arguments are fully fleshed and it can be difficult to get them away from that outcome once it is planted. Oral argument gives you the opportunity for a sneak peek into where their minds are at so you can select your focus points. Sometimes the case is ended in oral argument for all intents and purposes and the written submissions are just an exercise in going through the motions. Of course the SC should be different, but...

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, this is more accurate -- other than Thomas (who asks one question every 12 years) -- you generally can get a sense for the court leaning, based on how Justices questions get framed and asked...

LostOnHoth likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Really? I thought oral argument questions could often be a deliberate exaggerated show of fairness demonstrating the judge's ability to see both sides before bringing down the hammer.

Vaderize03 and LostOnHoth like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That is rarely the case at SCOTUS, since the case is pretty well argued by that point and each side has like 20-30 minutes in total. It's not totally unheard of, but rare enough that SCOTUSBlog generally uses oral arguments as a way to gauge intent.

Also, apparently the question of the hand recount in GA is correct:

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So what exactly is the part that Brett and Roberts are saying they might get rid of?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think the gist is they may sever the mandate and/or funding from the requirement to offer healthcare.

23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Aryan Brotherhood will protect him

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was more just laughing at the USSS having to sit in front of his cell.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What happens if they fail to complete the recount by hand? Only the votes that were recounted actually count? Because the more heavily populated counties are the ones that will struggle to complete the count, and those counties went for Biden.

Rew likes this.