main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I recently started watching Avatar for the first time ever. I know! I can’t believe I’ve never seen it either!

I just finished season one, and I loved every episode of it. I completely understand the hype. It’s magnificent. The characters, the story, the world building, the mythology - it’s all there and it’s all done wonderfully. There was a perfect balance of emotion, adventure, action and comedy. Absolutely beautiful animation. Great soundtrack too.

My favourite character is Katara. She’s amazing. Always keeps her cool and helps settle conflict with her kind and inspiring attitude, that even the most stubborn of people can’t help but listen to. However she can totally kick ass when it’s needed as well.

Obviously Aang and Sokka are great too. I’m also enjoying Prince Zuko more and more as the show goes on. A well written villain that ends up gaining your sympathy. Obviously won’t stay a villain for long, so I’m looking forward to seeing the day he swaps sides. His uncle Iroh is an enjoyable character to watch too.

Very excited to start season two!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    George Lucas would love it.

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’m somewhat surprised that this ATLA and LOK haven’t had Disney sniffing around. Series would a be good fit for Disney plus

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Gets better every season

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Well you were right, season two was amazing and even better than the first. I can now confidently say it's one of the greatest shows of all time. What I love about this show that many others don't have is the sense of adventure. This group travels the planet and visits new and exciting locations almost every episode, which makes it so enjoyable to watch. Ba Sing Se might just be my favourite location they've visited so far. Absolutely love the design and world building there. The cast of characters somehow got even better, thanks to great character development and new additions. Toph is amazing. Her constant sarcasm might even make her the funniest character on the show. Katara is still my favourite, but I feel like Zuko has the most interesting / well developed storyline this season. I was honestly surprised when he chose to go back to the Fire Nation at the end. I've enjoyed Uncle Iroh so much this season, and it's a real shame Mako wasn't there to voice him in the last season, because he really completes the character. Looking forward to seeing the group infiltrate the Fire Nation next!

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I just had a terrible idea to go back and watch the live action 2010 film. Now that I'm familiar with the show, I just wanted to see how bad it was. I honestly don't think I need to say anything, because everyone already knows how bad it was. I don't understand how they managed to completely suck the life out of one of the most exciting shows ever made. Also 1 hour 40 to cover the entire first season? And literally only half of it was their entire journey to the Northern Water Tribe. It was so rushed. Terrible film. And this is why I'm not excited about a live action TV show. Why not just make another animated show? Or do some more seasons of Avatar? I'm sure that's what all the fans would want the most.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Off to Laogai with you

Darth_Omega and Ghost like this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Finished the show last night. What a journey! I'd easily put it in my top 5 shows of all time now. The characters and storytelling are some of the best I've ever seen. I can't believe what they managed to achieve for a Nickelodeon kids cartoon. I'm actually glad I waited until I was this old to watch it for the first time so I could appreciate it to it's full potential, and I am definitely going to watch it again and again.

The ending was truly something special, seeing all of the characters, including old rivals, together living in peace as friends. It's amazing to see how far Zuko's come since the beginning. I stand by my claim of him being the best written character of all time.

My favourite quote in the series comes from S3 when Zuko and Sokka are in the war balloon together:
    "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
    "That's rough buddy."

As far as the characters go, I'd probably rank them as follows. My top 5 were all my favourites at some point.
    1. Katara
    2. Sokka
    3. Toph
    4. Zuko
    5. Iroh
    6. Aang
    7. Suki
    8. Appa
    9. Momo
    10. Azula, Ty Lee or Bumi

Now, time to start The Legend of Korra!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dude, the movie was punishment enough. There's nothing that the Dai Li could do to compare to that :p

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Just finished the first two seasons of Korra. Look, it’s obviously no ATLA, but it’s still a great and enjoyable show.

There’s two things that’ve stuck out to me so far that put it behind the original show - it’s lacking the sense of adventure, and there doesn’t feel like an endgame build up.

It’s hard for the show to capture the amazing feeling of adventure like the original when they stay in one or two main locations each season. In ATLA they literally travelled the entire world in one season, but all I’ve seen so far in Korra is Republic City, the Southern Water Tribe, and Southern Air Temple.

And with endgame build up, ATLA teased Firelord Ozai from the very beginning, and it took three full seasons for the Avatar to train and prepare before finally facing him. With Korra, she already took down the devil himself after just finding out about him. This has given the show a somewhat rushed feeling to it. I feel like that epic final battle against Unalaq / Vaatu should’ve been the finale to season four, and Korra would’ve had to master all of the elements and techniques, such as controlling spirits, over the course of the show before finally facing him. All I can think now is how are they going to top this. With only 20+ episodes to go, they now have to introduce a new main threat. Let’s hope they pull it off!

All that being said, The Legend of Korra is still great and a very welcome addition to the Avatar universe. The characters are all great and entertaining in their own ways. Korra is wonderful, but I preferred her in season one than two. Bolin, Mako and Asami are all nice additions to Team Avatar. However, my favourite character is Tenzin, played wonderfully by J.K. Simmons. And my second favourite is Bumi, who’s just such a joy to watch. Add Kya to the trio, and Aang and Katara’s kids have become the unexpected stars of the show. Lin Beifong is another of my favourites too. There’s also a bunch of other great characters like Tenzin’s family, General Iroh, and Varrick.

It’s also wonderful to see the old characters return, wether it be in current times or flashbacks. Seeing how much they impacted the world and how successful they became is so neat. And obviously Iroh’s spirit was really special to see. Now I cannot wait for Toph and Zuko to show up in the current time!

Last points, the animation is absolutely beautiful, especially during the final episodes of season two which just looked insanely epic. And the soundtrack is so fun, especially in season one. Now on to seasons three and four!

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Congratulations, and well-phrased. As far as villains, they’re really about exploring the ripple effect of the battle with Vaatu. Also, you’re about the find out why it was wise of Lord Sozin to sucker punch the Air Nomads en masse like he did.

Yodaminch likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Also keep in mind, that of the seasons, Season 2 of Korra was the weakest.

but @Jabba-wocky ’s favorite character gets introduced at the end of Season 3 so I’ll be curious how you feel about this character as well.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @Jordan1Kenobi You said you watched the first two seasons, right? What did you think of "Beginnings" Part 1 & 2? Those were the standouts episodes of season 2 for me. I don't remember much else, but I do recall loving season 1 the most and you're right about that "rushed" feeling.

The show was good, not great. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the show when you get there. :)

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  16. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Beginnings Part 1 and 2 were great. It had a great story with Wan being a worthy addition to the series as the first Avatar. I loved the mythology behind it all, with the ‘god’ and ‘devil’, the lion turtles, and the spirits. It gave off some strong Spirited Away vibes at one point, which was nice. Definitely two of the best episodes so far.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I always love seeing people’s fresh reactions. Can’t wait for more

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m going to slowly start building up an Avatar collection. I just got the Aang (with Momo), Katara and Toph Funkos, and am currently searching for the rest.

And today I ordered a personalised autographed picture from Toph’s voice actress Jessie Flower. I’ve also gotten her to write a couple of my favourite Toph quotes on it:
    “What's the matter? Can't handle a little dirt, Madame Fussy-Britches?”
    And
    “I am the greatest earthbender in the world! Don't you two dunderheads ever forget it!”

That was $25 USD including shipping. Seemed worth it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Very cool!

I managed to meet Janet Varney and Grey DeLisle at New York Comic Con a while back. Both were very friendly and took time to speak to their fans - and kept their lines moving too I might add.

I have an autograph from Janet telling me to "Be the Leaf" and one from Grey telling me that I am "Banished!"

In my office I have the Dark Horse figures of Katara, Aang, and Zuko. I have Toph on preorder. Hoping for Sokka to complete the Gaang.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  20. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    Season 3 & 4 are where the show found its groove for me. I liked the first season enough to get me to watch the second season, but all I have really watched of season 2 was the premiere, the Avatar Wan episodes and the finale. Season 3 brings back that adventure feel from Avatar: The Last Airbender (not in the same exact way, but I don't mind that as Korra is its own show), while also bringing in cool antagonists for Team Korra to battle. Both shows have always excelled with action scenes, but the fight scenes threaded throughout this season all the way up until the finale are incredible. Korra, by the end of season 3/Book 3 is almost unrecognizable... in a good way. I was a little lukewarm to her at first, but seeing the fusion of her bravado with her newfound maturity in the aftermath of
    harmonic convergence
    , made me into a fan [However, the number one favorite character slot goes to Asami]. Book 4 uses some of the same characters introduced in Book 3 in interesting ways and works as a kind of 'sequel'. As can be expected of a show named The Legend of Korra it marches forward with the development of Korra herself, addressing the events of Book 3 and how they deeply affected her.

My friend is also watching Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time. I'm trying to talk her into watching The Legend of Korra--- as it is a show I think she'll like--- while also cautioning her that it is a little different. I happen to like those differences, but that's just me.

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Season 3 of Korra is the strongest one yet. That was really good. Epic, action-packed finale.

I got that sense of adventure I was craving as there was a lot of globe trotting this season. From the stunning new metal clan city of Zaofu, to the familiar Ba Sing Se (my favourite avatar location), and even the large desert. They fit a great amount into 13 episodes.

Korra was a major badass this season. Flying around by blasting fire from her feet and fire breathing like a dragon, daym! But Tenzin and Bumi are still my favourites. Man Tenzin kicked some butt at the end there! One on four against the full power of the Red Lotus and he still held his own. I’m also glad Bumi has air bending powers now, he deserves it. Kya and Tonraq are also badasses with their water bending.

I enjoyed the story of the Air Nomads returning to the world. And seeing Tenzin attempting to train them at the air temple was very entertaining. Jinora has certainly earned her place as a stand out character too.

Excellent villains. Zaheer was equally powerful as he was intelligent. Then the four of them together always felt like a serious threat.

I loved getting to find out more about Lin, and have her character develop nicely. Her sister Suyin was great as well. The way she took out the combustion lady was one of the most badass moments in the entire series. Oh and how can I not mention badass old man Zuko riding around on a dragon. So cool!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  22. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I love how aggressive Tonraq (and Ming-Hua) were with their waterbending. Suyin's earthbending is probably my second favorite depiction of earthbending behind Toph. The gracefulness of her earthbending was a nice contrast to the ruggedness of Tonraq's waterbending.

It's nice to see someone compliment Kya on her badassery. I remember the Internet chatter around the time clowning her for not being as good as Katara. It's like they forgot that Kya is primarily a healer, is facing a combatant who likely has more combat experience and that this combatant happens to be an extremely powerful waterbending prodigy. She did the best she could.

It was the battle against
    Zaheer
    where I thought they could have written a better showing for her, but I let that slide for plot-related reasons.

Ghost and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The sheer depth of ATLA's character journeys beats the vast majority of most premium cable TV shows that have ten times the budget.

And the crazy thing is the show never loses its humor, warm heart, or respect for its audience - this series knows it will keep kids occupied with bright colors and jokes, but it also fully expects them grapple with stuff like abusive parenting, emotional turmoil, thoughts of suicide, murderous psychosis... and being a teenager without being a complete moron.

The speed of the finale's mood whiplashes is astounding, because they know they can have characters tell a joke, then confront the existential fear of death and the horror of atrocity, then get fist-pumpingly awesome, then get genuinely spiritual and contemplative, before ending with a joke again.

Like, when people joke about something making them "feel all the feels", it's usually hyperbole.

It's NOT hyperbole in ATLA's finale.
    Zuko pulls off the kind of 180 character arc that most writers only dream of.

The most special moment for me though, remains hearing the epic and triumphant version of Aang's theme after he's defeated Ozai and put out the fire as Momo lands on his shoulder.

It felt a bit like the show going "We will now make that musical sting bring tears of awesomeness to your eyes, because we own you."

...PS: Anyone seen the Normies Reaction series to this show on YouTube?

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    For me, it was her battle against
    Ming-Hua
    that made me mad. I mean...
    how you gon' think you defeated someone who can waterbend with her mind, by...encasing her in water?
    OTOH, Tenzin's battle against
    Zhaheer
    was a thing of beauty. As we "blerds" like to say, "He got sonned!"

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    The only character who I was slightly underwhelmed with in terms of power was sadly Zuko. Yes he's about 85, but after seeing how powerful the White Lotus were in the finale of ATLA at their old age, I expected him to do much better against the Red Lotus. Bumi was 112 in ATLA and was able to take back an entire city on his own. It would've been nice to see Zuko overpower the four of them on his own.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.