main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I was actually thinking it looks like a backwards Brakiri ship (with a Naboo chrome finish)...

One actually looks like a sterotypical flying suacer, so maybe Zeta Reticuli is a Federation member:p

Ship two (at least the top shot of it) actually looks like a KOTOR Interdictor without the bridge tower/with a litt[face_laugh]
    [​IMG]
    (though I've always thought that had a Romulan vibe anyway)

You noticed that too, hu?:D

That works with the show too - certainly we know for sure that at least some peaple were evacuated by the Federation before aid was cut, and they had years to work at it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, Episode 4 felt very classically Trek. :p

Loved seeing Trill and the caves - nice modern "update", but not so much as to be unrecognisable.

And it was very nice seeing yet more character development from thd other members of the crew. Just wish the show had the guts to do a storyline in which Michael doesn't play a significant role...

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Some, one of the issues with doing a prequel raised its ugly head again...
    These people should know nothing about Trill symbionts and yet, here we are...

Also, I'm having trouble with Discovery going back to the well of "killing your gays" with having the first Trek transgender actor be killed off and having Adira and Grey's love story being tragic. But Grey seems to be sticking around for now...

OTOH, I'm digging the ship's computer slowly turning into Zora from "Calypso"...

BigAl6ft6 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They sort of walked the line there a bit by implying that Saru knew more than the other crew members- and it's quite possible the sphere data gives them an excuse on the knowledge front as well.

5. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    EDIT, the other day I meant to write "ship two (at least the top shot of it) actually looks like a KOTOR Interdictor without the bridge tower/with a little tail on the back"

As I recall only The Host dipicts Trills as being unknown to the Federation though, and between the Dax symbiote living in the Federation as far back as the TOS era, Sisko having intimate knowledge of them as far back as when he was a young man and knew Curzon and nobody anywhere other then The Host acting like Trills are a mystery it's seems pretty clear that we're supposed to ingore what TNG says or at least just assume that it was Beverly in particuler who had no knowledge of Trills.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, Beverly Crusher -- former Chief Medical Officer of the Federation-- in particular had no knowledge of Trill symbionts whilst everyone else did.

I mean, clearly the Federation knew of the Trill species but no one was supposed to know about the symbionts...

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    And yet Sisko did back when he was a junior officer (to say nothing about Kang, Kor and Koloth, who just act like it's common knowledge, never indicate it's something that was only recently revealed to the galaxy and probobly found out before Beverly or Sisko were even born) and nobody ever acts like the Trill were keeping secrets from the galaxy.

It really seems to be a choice of accepting that parts ofThe Host are basically an abboration in the lore or assuming Odan was private dude with a transporter phobia and Beverly (and the E-D) crew did'nt know the specifics about Trill physiology (even though your right that Beverly probobly should have*). It's a bit stupid, I agree, but it's not really fair to hold Disco responsable for what's actually DS9's fualt, especially when it's long since evolved to the point were the damage is done.

*a possible explanation could be, though, that the Trill are not Federation members and at the time The Host takes place Beverly had yet to have the chance to read/learn about the joining.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode 2 had some good Western Star Trek which I am always a fan of. I don't quite like the 31st Century phasers though, they just look a little awkward. I am wondering in Episode 3 when Saru was made captain it is obviously acting Captain but has anyone actually promoted him? did his delta symbol get extra pips? If there's no Starfleet are they technically a pirate / private vessel? Or did the flag guy promote him? I mean, yeah, I'm 100% on board with Captain Saru I'm just wondering who signed the order. not sure if there needed a more grimdark Burnham happening off screen to give her more edge or whatever, she's awlays been hyper-competent. And Earth after the Burn has totally gone isolationist "Make Earth Great Again". At least they aren't Federation or Starfleet so I buy that Earth would go off on it's own after a disaster.

I wish that when the Discovery crewmembers were at the big tree at Starfleet Academy that it hadn't changed and everything is still the same 1000 years later they also went "Oh look, and there's old Boothby the groundskeeper, still dispensing wisdom!"

Oh I noticed in one of the episodes that the Yellow Alert/Red Alert symbol on the DISCO bridge looked like the old TOS-movie era Red Alert symbols, is that new or I just haven't noticed it before.

the Trill episode was good and weird which is generally what Trill episodes do a lot (the upside down shots!). I was hoping it would be Dax when teenage genius started flying through 1000 year old Discovery without needing any assistance and then when she said she made a "mean Bajorian Hasporat". Although I first thought she was hiding she was a Trill (holotechnology or whatever) but she's human which adds a whole other thing. I think on DS9 the Tril council wasn't exactly presented as forthcoming but I don't know if it was ever outright stated that the symbionts can only be joined with Trills. (also was the symbiont on the bioscanner larger than usual). Anyway, it not being Dax I can deal, the scene when all the previous hosts met the current one was oddly emotional. Like I said, weird Trill episodes good. Although I do still wish it was Dax so they could bring out the former serial killer host for mucho-drama. Maybe Dax is safely floating in one of the pools. I'd like to think so, or maybe Dax was even the one Trill who took a chance on the humans.

I have this weird feeling the whole "talking to a former lover in the mindscape" was what they wanted to do with Stammets and Cubler in S1/S2 when Cubler died (remember that Doc died and came back?! I am just cuz rewatching S1 on CBS on Thursdays, and Stammets can communicate with the mushroom network so they could have gone that way and something about that was why Cubler came back) but they went full on resurrection (rather hastily it felt like). so maybe they're doing a second try with the human and her Trill boyfriend. They did something like that in Umbrella Academy where only one character could see/talk to a previously dead one which worked dramatically.

Detmer's freak out scene at the dinner was great, I always think she's going to randomly die since S1 but nice to see her do more.

Oh and the computer developing a personality I'm sure it a shout out to the evolved sentient Discovery computer in the future we saw in Short Treks. Guess that's there Sphere Data doing it's thing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    K2771991 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A comparison video of last week's episode to the similar events on DS9:

Juliet316, K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So the opening teaser is just the crew going full Fleet Junkie, gotta love it!

"That's...ten? generations?"
    "Eleven."

Not the J we were hoping for, but it'll do.

;)

Not sure if we take the comment about "a new Constitution" at face value or if it was just them trying to describe what they were seeing based on 23rd Century references.

"Your relationship isn't very professional."
    "It's how we work."
    "I've been trying to raise the bar."
    [face_rofl]

The rest of the episode was also pretty good. Nhan's departure feels a bit abrupt but, hopefully, this isn't the last we've seen of her. I wonder if she was traded off of the regular cast roster to be able to add in Adira to the cast?

Also, a very welcome surprise to have Oded Fehr added to the show. Medjai...innnn....spaaaaaace...!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    D'awwwwwww, guys...
    [​IMG]

Sarge, Ulicus , seeker_two and 9 others like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trek staying resourceful.

13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I was kinda hoping the new Federation capital would be Vulcan or Bajor, but I'll take...

A space station. Makes sense for the purpose of impartiality/neutrality and invokes the Citadel from Mass Effect. (still, would have been cooler if the station was DS9)

It's been like that the whole time, I think.

J was 26th Century (in an alternate or possible timeline cuased by the Temporal Cold War, I believe?), not 31st (which would make sense since the Enterprise's have a headstart on Voyager and baring disasters Voyager could have served into the 25th Century). Assuming just one disaster (the Burn), a full service life for each ship post-J, two ships per century and that the J herself was active at the start of her century we'd probobly be on Enterprise-T or U by now.

Well, there's always a risk that Imhotep might rise from the dead again:D

I suppose, given the Disco one is in permenant use for well, the Disco (though it was used for the Zheng He), that the Shenzhou one will become the new movie Enterprise one and get used for everything (I'm going to assume the Enterprise bridge set - along with the rest of the sets - are long since gone and even if the JJ movie sets still exist they probobly can't be used due to the CBS/Paramount seperation, right?)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Darth Caliban and The2ndQuest like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    good solid easter egging here

with Voyager-J, didn't notice the Nog ship which was sweet, and Mirror Phillipa dropping the first contact with the Mirror Vulcans as "Vulcans should learn to stay in their lane". And them being concerned that DISCO is Temporal Agents leftover is neat bit of continuity. And you can turn off holograms by blinking at them! I'm sure that's a trick only Terans would figure out, hopefully Voyager's OG EMH never found out about it.

anyway I'm gonna guess that DISCO got some "under the hood" improvements so it won't get pasted by any 32nd century ships in combat.

Darth Caliban, Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  15. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    easter eggnog?:p

I'm pretty sure they mention overhualing it at one point in the episode. But maybe it will get destroyed at some point and we'll get the Discovery-A.

Actually, what would the protocol be if there's already a Discovery in the future Starfleet?

Also, edit/clarification for earlier.

I suppose, given the Disco one is in permenant use for well, the Disco (though it was used for the Zheng He), that the Shenzhou one will become the new movie Enterprise one and get used for everything (I'm going to assume the Enterprise bridge set - along with the rest of the sets - are long since gone...

Enterprise the show, that is; the NX-01 bridge set. I can see now how just writing "the Enterprise..." would be confusing since right before I was talking about the TOS movie ship(s).

Darth Caliban likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 6
    Detached nacelles, hmm. I guess the folks who don't like the long nacelles can be happy that it'll be easier to swap them out later now ;). Book's ship doing that reconfigurable 360 was pretty neat too. Makes sense that that tech could be applied on a larger scale for new combat maneuvers. Actually kinda reminds me vaguely of the original Tron's lightcycles ability to do hard-90-degree turns.

It was good to see Starfleet trying to put out all these brushfires in their area. Show that they're doing more than just hunkering down. Curious to see what happens with Georgiou. I loved her bully-the-bully routine- "FORM. A SENTENCE."

The transporter badge gag was pretty good too [face_laugh].

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Linus remains the stealth-MVP.

Sarge, K2771991, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, though for this episode, there is a strong argument for nominating the background crewmember who was strutting the **** out of that hallway behind Book and Michael as they left sickbay.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    K2771991 likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    David Cronenberg was great last week. I want more Cronenberg. Can they give Cronenberg a Short Treks episode?

20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This this this.

He's not an incredibly actor but he's got a great presence to him that can't really be beat. Hope we see tons more of him.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  21. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I haven’t watched any of the season yet, so I’m sure it’s explained, but why doesn’t the cello playing Trill have any spots?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because she’s human. One of the episodes deals with that issue specifically.

EDIT- One thing I didn't notice the first time about the most recent episode:

The Discovery refit is actually NCC-1031-A!

EDIT 2-
    Trekyards has their comparison breakdown video:

As they point out- it's a Tron ship. No wonder I love it :D.

The comparison also illustrates how much has actually changed- the secondary hull in particular has had some extensive changes beyond the obvious "pylon" cutouts (the underbelly has been removed, the neck is tapered at a different angle, the impulse engines are completely different, etc), though the saucer has had more than just cosmetic alterations done (the center ball has been altered, the DOT-7's now have visible deployment hatches, the ring connecting struts are gone, etc).

This also makes me wonder how this'll end up fitting in with the Short Treks Calypso episode, since that shows the old Discovery...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    K2771991 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yay for a refit cuz I'm always a fan but even with the refit Starfleet is still like "Nah, we don't want to waste the resources on new uniforms. They can get the comm badges/personal transporters though" (although why DISCO gets an A addition to it's number when the Enterprise refit didn't... huh, now my head hurts about canon again but Discovery has been doing that to me since S1)

Also Reno personal log about the Refit (with Tig!)

EDIT: already saw an answer for Calypso on Reddit. Whole ship is now programmable manner. It liked it's original look better after the crew left. Done!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Sarge, The2ndQuest and K2771991 like this.
  24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Man, there's a lot of Star Trek actors (regular and otherwise) in Criminal Minds. I'm rewatching the show and I feel like I can't go three or four episodes without seeing someone.

Just last season alone had Connor Trinneer, Will Wheton, Timothy Carhart, Tamlyn Tomita (though this was years before Picard, so that might be cheating) and then this season's had Glenn Morshower, William Sadler, Lawrence Pressman and, currently, as I write this, Jonathan Frakes.

That's just the last two seasons and does'nt include peaple I forgot, did'nt notice, guest stars who are so better known for other things th(Jason Alexander, Louis Ferreira and Salli Richardson ) that it seems like it would be cheating to list them and Anton Yelchin (RIP), who showed up a few seasons ago, and Rachel Nichols, who if I remember correctly is in the main cast for a season or two later on. Also Sharif Atkins, while not a Star Trek actor, does a pretty good Avery Brooks-style wispering with YELLING overREaction at a couple points in last seasons finale, which I thought was pretty funny.

Also Mae Whitman was in the show a few episodes ago. That has nothing to do with Star Trek, I just really like Mae Whitman;).

It makes me wonder; if Adira counts as a Tal, does Riker count as one of the Odans? Like, would Kareel see Will during her zhian'tara or would he be omitted like Verad was for Jadzia? And does Riker remember being Odan* or did he lose the memories after being unjoined like Verad did?

*"What!? I had sex with Beverly and I DON'T get to remember it! Aww man..."

Maybe they'll just ingore it; I doubt they had planned on the refit when they made Calypso, and all they had acess to was the sets they had at that point.

But if they had to they could just say that the ships new hull/hull plating is made out of that programable matter stuff and can shift back into Disco's old form if somebody (Zora?) wants.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Boy did we get a lot of lore this episode!

Some points:
    • Romulans and Vulcans do eventually unify into one polity called Ni'Var. It's a....contentious unification still, as Vulcan Purist factions and Romulan self-governance factions are in political conflict. In this sense, the Romulans do eventually join the Federation....as part of this polity called Ni'Var.
    • When Ni'Var left the Federation, it was spurred by the Vulcans and opposed by the Romulans, who wished to remain a part of the Federation. The Romulan judge was willing to help Michael and the Federation even if the others weren't. It's interesting to watch as Romulans, who were for centuries of Star Trek the bitterest of enemies towards the Federation, from Enterprise to TOS to TNG to now-non-canon books like the Tython Pact etc, go to being an advocate.
    • I'm glad that one of the two elephants in the room re: going into the future from TOS era has been addressed. I was always worried that they wouldn't address the fact that, as far as people from DSC knew, Romulans were a secretive race who were hellbent enemies of the Federation. Nobody knew that Romulans were actually related to the Vulcans until Kirk in TOS, and I wanted to see how Michael deals with it. Granted, it's a little shoved to the side for the main plot of the episode, but I'm glad it's addressed. Now if only they address the other big one: the Borg.
    • The Vulca-er sorry, the Ni'Var Science Academy is back to its old ENT self of "time travel isn't possible and I refuse to acknowledge evidence of it" and "katras aren't real nothing you can say will change my mind on this" to now "we caused the burn and we refuse to even consider evidence to the contrary."
    • The Qowat Milat of PIC is back, this time as "advocates" for the T'Kal-in-ket, something that reminds one of a more aggressive thesis defense committee for when you're getting your PhD. This group was apparently instrumental in the "success" of reunification, which I'm not surprised considering how they were presented in PIC and how they are enemies of the Tal Shiar.
    On a more personal note, I enjoyed watching Michael bite off more than she can chew. She's had a lot of character development from when DIS first started. I hated watching her. She's a much better character now, but I'm glad a little bit of her headstrongness (is that a word?) has stayed. She absolutely bit off more than she could chew by requesting this tribunal. Her assumption that the Vulcan purist on the panel would be on her side the most was flawed and came back to bite her when he was the most vehement against her. This is because she was used to the idea that she'd be defending this against three Vulcans and so she prepared a "facts and logic" ben shapiro style defense instead of learning about the Romulans and seeing that she'd get more done by opening up emotionally. Her mother, who was the Qowat Milat advocate for her, in a way that I don't necessarily approve of, forced her to reveal her inner truth which definitely gained favor with the two Romulans on the panel and, more importantly, the Ni'Var president. This is because Michael is strongest when confront deep inner emotional truths.