main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Thing is, Zuko was never the best firebender ever. He was good enough to teach Aang (after getting a lesson from the dragons), but even so he barely held his ground against Azula (and only won because Katara saved his arse). I don't think he was a firebending prodigy in the same way Katara was in waterbending or Toph in earthbending.

Yodaminch and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. I’d say that Zuko was a good bender (see also: his Agni Kai vs. Commander Zhao, Zuko & Azula vs. the Gaang) in a series depicting great benders.

Yodaminch and Mar17swgirl like this.
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Just gotta say, old Toph has been done perfectly. Sarcastic, bad mannered, and tough, but still caring under that exterior.

I’ve got two days worth of season 4 left, and it’s shaping up to be a contender for the best season. I just hope some of the characters start getting put in the spotlight again, especially Tenzin.

I loved the episode where Tenzin sent his three kids to go and find Korra. They’ve become really entertaining, and it was probably the closest feeling I’ve gotten to watching the original ATLA. That is huge praise.

Kuvira is interesting. Hate her as a person, but like her as a villain. Can’t wait to see Korra whoop her butt. And Varrick is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Even though he was a backstabbing mastermind at one point, it’s hard not to love the guy!

Now Zhu Li, do the thing!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    That was silly of her, but to her credit, she did mix it up by throwing ice at her (only once, I recall). In the end, Ming-Hua is a monster when it comes to waterbending, so any waterbender who crossed her path was going to be put in their place. If Bumi were a better airbender, then Kya and he could have switched opponents and probably come out with a better showing.

I enjoyed watching Tenzin own the hell out of Zaheer. While I didn't like the rest of the Red Lotus ganging up on Tenzin, it was a smart villain move to do so.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What.

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I was waiting for this moment. [face_devil]

7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Zuko was doing well in the Agni Kai duel until Azula cheated and targeted Katara (though Azula was losing her mental stability)

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I actually thought that Agni Kai was one of the worst fights in the series. Usually, Avatar is characterized inventive uses of bending. Moves are not necessarily the most powerful, but they show a huge degree of situational awareness, fluidness/responsiveness, and a strong command of the less obvious potentials of their elements. This fight was just. . .real big flames. That was the whole thing.

I can kind of see it, in that Zuko was never actually very good, and Azula wasn't well. But it certainly wasn't worthy of the prodigy we had watched terrify the whole world for two seasons. As compared to Mai and Ty Lee turning against her, this moment of Azula's weakness felt much less organic.

Charmbracelet likes this.
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Pretty hard to like an evil conqueror who just wants to rule the world with no care for people’s lives. BUT she makes a good final villain so don’t worry.

Edit: I just read back a few pages in this thread. What have I started...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Yodaminch likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What do you mean "no care for people's lives?" Zao Fu was a gated community and a literal enclave of the genetic and social elite. A hugely nepotistic enterprise that Toph's failures of daughters got to run by sole merit of being related to Toph. The Earth Kingdom--largest by both landmass and population--had become a literal failed state, and all of them were refusing to do anything. The Avatar wasn't helping either.

Kuvira explained her motivations for getting involved on multiple occasions. The suffering of the masses touched her. Just because the show took the viewpoint of the privileged few that were insulated from hardship doesn't mean you should automatically side with them.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I was understanding of Kuvira until it was revealed that she was locking away non-Earth benders in prison for no reason. The fact that she was building a super weapon to kill people who stood in her way didn't exactly help her case either... You can't really justify that. She's a power hungry dictator who will attempt to achieve her goal by any means.

Did you also take the side of Amon? He just wanted equality for all. Unalaq? He just wanted to unite the human and spirit worlds. Zaheer? He just wanted freedom for all. The problem is, like Kuvira who just wanted to unite everyone, they all went about it the wrong way - the evil way. That's what I've liked so much about Korra's villains, they actually all have qualities that you can respect and motives that you can understand. But at the end of the day, they're still villains.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh man, what a battle under the Earth Kingdom! Aang had to let Katara go to become the Avatar...and then gets struck down by lightning! That was cool.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have yet to meet someone who has disliked the show. I know people who are indifferent, but no one who actively hates it. Which is impressive

14. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    As a kid, my favorite fight was fight during the second season finale; I remember watching it over and over on YouTube. (I also really liked the skirmish with the Serpent in the middle of the season)

That said, I have a fondness for the Agni Kai as though it doesn't have much in the way of the qualities you listed, it is pretty and serves to show the evolution in Zuko's bending (and personality) from angry to focused.

I would have preferred if Azula still had a noticeable upper-hand "crazy" or not, but I'm not as in love with her 'slipping into insanity' storyline as I once was, anyway.

I knew Kuvira would be a problem after she told Tonraq her name in Season 3. Learning her backstory at the end of Season 4 made me feel a little bad for her, but I think the writers missed an opportunity by keeping her in the background during the previous season. It would have been great to see more interactions with she, Lin, and Lin's family to sell that surrogate mother/family dynamic they were going for. (Which is given more detail in the comics)

Had the writers done that, I may have been a bit more sympathetic to her, but then came the camps for non-Earth Kingdom folks and dissidents, the Spirit weapon, and the other actions she took.

Comics Spoiler:
    Kuvira stated that she didn't know everything that went on in the labor camps; she gets no sympathy points from me as their creation is still 'effed up)

All that said, The Great Unifier is my favorite Korra villain and the dive into her character in the Legend of Korra comics was very welcomed.

Aside: According to my library's website, they have copies of the two Avatar Kyoshi books, so next time I swing by I'm going to check them out!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Just finished the show. That final battle was epic! Kuvira is one crazy *****! Destroying the entire city in her colossal mech suit by firing a spiritual laser beam, god damn. That’s some Ozai level stuff right there.

I didn’t expect the show to end with Varrick and Zhu Li‘s wedding, but I’m glad it happened.

One thing I’m annoyed about though - why didn’t they show Korra and Asami kiss? I was waiting for it all season. I mean, it was nice with the way it ended - the two of them walking hand in hand into the spirit world, but come on, it would’ve been perfect! As Varrick would say, do the thing!

So yeah, fantastic show overall. Still nowhere near the level of Avatar, but it doesn’t need to be. It‘s great in its own ways. And it expanded on the Avatar universe brilliantly.

And just because I can, here’s my top 10 Korra characters:
    1. Tenzin
    2. Bumi
    3. Korra
    4. Bolin
    5. Asami
    6. Lin
    7. Toph
    8. Varrick
    9. Jinora, Ikki and Meelo
    10. Kya
    Plus a shout out to Mako, Suyin, Tonraq, Naga, Pabu and Avatar Wan

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Recently started ATLA again. Already up to one of my absolute favourite episodes tomorrow - The Blind Bandit. But now I have that damn secret tunnel song stuck in my head.

Also started reading the comics, which are brilliant. They capture the feel of the show and the characters perfectly. I just wish they’d been done in animated form!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Secret secret secret secret tunnellllllll yeah! :p

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    lmao you were not posting in this thread when those seasons came out were you.

This was my favorite wocky moment post season 1 finale after wocky spent months defending Amon
    And my favorite wocky moment in this thread during season 2

19. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Looks like LOK is coming to UK Netflix next month.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    @Lord Vivec : I'll note you don't have any quote like that for Kuvira. Because she never failed!

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, she was in fact a largely successful war criminal and fascist.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Haha! His son gets badly injured and he completely ignores him. Father of the year.

I wish I’d been around back then. Entertaining times.

23. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I started watching Atla with my older sister this year. Show’s obviously great, and it’s a great thing to do together since we live far apart. I heard so many good things about it that I read up on it, so I know pretty much the whole plot, but my sister is pretty spoiler-free. We’re maybe fifteen episodes in. One thing to be noted that some of the characters who just sounded ok on paper or moments that sounded odd are just wonderful in action. @Jordan1Kenobi, you are absolutely right about the delightful sense of adventure present. I don’t think I can pick a favorite character right now, they’re all so good!

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    When you get to season two, that's going to become much harder with the introduction of Toph. I go back and forth between Katara, Sokka and Toph as my #1 favourite.

Good to hear someone else is enjoying it for the first time!

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Aang is and always was my favorite.