main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Does he remove the helmet though ? wasn't that the issue that Pascal had, that he wanted to remove it and F & F said no

When it comes to Obi Wan, I loved the Kenobi book which was fantastic and I can definitely see a 1 off movie, I just can't see a full series worth but hopefully I can be proved wrong.

With Cassian tbh I'm not fussed eitherway with that.

A Vader movie set between ESB and RTJ where he is struggling with his re-emergence of goodness. Now that I would love to see.

Lucas version of the ST again Id love to see that.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If you choose to put any stock in what Grace Randolph said, I guess. But there has been literally nothing else pointing to that being true. Obviously where the character is currently, him removing the helmet doesn't make sense. But given the way characters and the world around him have been chipping away at everything he thought he believed in, it feels like an inevitability at this point.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    You weren't watching very closely were you? The Child was in his floating buggy and the canopy closed before it got swallowed, offering some protection. When Reeves flew out of the tank the buggy was pretty beat up and she ripped the canopy off.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    'Sasha Banks' is her stage name, the end credits usees her real name 'Mercedes Varnado.

DarthRamRod likes this.
  5. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, I can't argue against any of this.

Star Wars has a bit of a dilemma. How do they go forward.

But we're getting way off topic, so...

Bo-Katan: Season three, Bo-Katan versus Moff Gideon. Winner is the ruler of Mandalore. Moff Gideon is a Mandalorian, that's the big reveal of the season. And he wants the child for his Midi-chlorians because he wants to become the second coming of Tarre Vizsla. Hot take!

Or something entirely different.

fett 4 likes this.
  6. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Now I want Maul to come back solely for the purpose of a three-way grudge match :p

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    10/10!
    +++BO-KATAN!!! Wow! It's like they took her straight out of The Clone Wars and into live-action. Really incredible all the attention to detail, her movements, fighting style, etc.
    +Interesting that Mando is part of The Watch (and not Death Watch). Must have changed their name at some point, perhaps to be more politically correct. Regardless, it now gives Mando (and Pedro Pascal) an option to eventually remove his helmet if he decides the perspective of the "cult of religious zealots" is a tad extreme (at least on the helmet issue). I certainly understand why Pedro wanted to remove his helmet more given how many others are doing so.
    +Great action sequences and really surprised the episode was only 30+ minutes.

I'm very excited and yet very apprehensive about the eventual debut (in live action) of the named character we got at the end. Also, if Jon Favreau keeps writing all of the episodes, the overall story may become too homogenous. Perhaps, they can come up with some other writers to work on the basic scripts.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I think next week's episode is going to be another filler/bridge story, and episode 5 is where Ahsoka will show up, as that one is written and directed by Filoni, and she's his baby girl.

The re-entry sequence was an homage to Apollo 13

Haha, I said that outloud when the scene happened
    Season 2 was written and started production before Season 1 even aired, it wasn't done because of fan reaction.

Sasha Banks isn't playing Sabine, she was in this episode as someone else.

She'd recognize him as the same species as Yoda, but whether she knows anything about Yoda's species, who knows.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Grey Matter, starfish and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    And season three was even in early stages before season one began, to boot:

Fredrik Vallestrand and Tuskin38 like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Favreau and Filoni are doing exactly what you’re asking for. Though I don’t like the MCU, I don’t think Favreau hasn’t absorbed its lessons, given that he ushered it in with Iron Man. And I think Lucasfilm is explicitly moving in a more coherent cinematic universe direction. Just with a very different and more realistic style than the MCU, thank the Maker.
    That’s objectively wrong. It has a crystal clear story. Mando is trying to bring Baby Yoda to his people (the Jedi). That’s the general story. He’s not planet-hopping for nothing. And parallel to that, is a character story of his awakening. From a ruthless bounty hunter, to an honor bound ward/ guardian of an orphan, to someone who’s now realizing that he’s been living a very narrow interpretation of his culture. The next stage is an identity crisis of Luke Skywalkerian proportions. You may not like the mission of the week “structure” of the story, but that doesn’t mean there’s no “story.”

Again, you’re confusing structure/ formula with substance/ story. Those are two different things.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Star wars isn't even close to the comedy of Marvel, nothing in Mnado even reminds me of Marvel.

Snafu55 and Christopher Blair like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @CrazyOldJedi So...what was it you were saying about season 2 being simply a reaction to fan gripes about season 1? ;)
    I’m not sure anyone was claiming that...

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Someone was claiming that LF tried to turn Star Wars into Marvel.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ah, OK. I saw that too. I just don’t think they were basing that claim on similarities in the humor. My sense was that it was a comment about connectivity and overly formulaic “sameness.”

fett 4 likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think connectivity is good for star wars, but not the formulaic sameness.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No argument there.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  17. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, the Marvel thing, I'm only talking Marvel in structure.

Not content or style. No. Oh, hell no! [face_rofl]

(I think the Fantastic Four are cool, but the rest of Marvel I have no interest in.)

No, having a plan.

Marvel has a plan. Kevin Feige has a plan. They know what they want to do.

Star Wars... eh, maybe not so much.

They'll get there of course, but for right now... nah

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    To me, based on the show itself and all the public pronouncements from its makers, it sounds like they now have a very coherent plan, starting with the Mandalorian. I mean, they seemed to have written three whole seasons up front. Disney Plus clearly...changed everything. For the better. I’m very optimistic about a planned universe. All signs are pointing in that direction.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Mando in what it can give me big hopes for what Cassian and Kenobi can do.

Snafu55 and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Cassian and Kenobi are going to blow fans’ minds, IMO.

21. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Okay, a plan going forward.

Marvel: every movie except one that they have planned is going forward. Five in total, I think, going forward. And every TV show is moving things forward, I believe. I think there's seven off the top of my head? One or two may be prequel in nature, I'm not sure. But the fast majority are moving the overall Marvel story forward.

Everything Star Wars has planned is set in the past.

Going forward, we have no idea what they're doing. Taika Waititi is doing something. It may be moving forward, we don't know.

And yeah, no one is doing any movies right now; Marvel nor Star Wars.

Star Wars TV though, yeah, Obi-Wan is cool. He's my favorite character, so it's cool. Cassian Andor: Rogue One is my favorite Disney Star Wars movie, so that's cool.

What happens after Rey Palpatine though?

(And I just have to laugh as I type that. Why didn't they just make her a Jedi from the beginning and save themselves the headache. Call her Luke's daughter or whatever you want and just go. This is not hard. But I digress... )

But yeah, they gotta move forward at some point, and there's no plan right now. Nothing even rumored.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    VIDEO REVIEW

I really like how seamlessly the episodes this season flow into one another. The episodes are titled ‘chapters’ and viewed together, they really do feel like a single continuous story.

Another happy landing for the Razor Crest. The crash scene, again, really reminded me of the opening scene from Serenity. The visual effects for the entire landing sequence were very impressive. Particularly the shot where the ship is pulled out of the ocean. Also, great editing in the cut to the opening credits.

The big walking cranes used to lift the ship out of the sea were pretty cool. Nice to see new ships / vehicles in Star Wars.

Trask is immediately more interesting than… basically any of the worlds from the sequel trilogy films. Really love the nautical design. The stage craft technology used on The Mandalorian is clearly impressive, but this is the most populated world we have yet seen in The Mandalorian. Most planets on the show have been rather desolate, but Trask is a bustling sea port which feels vibrant and alive.

Again, the world building is really excellent. Trask’s sea port is populated primarily by Mon Calamri and Quarans, aliens seen throughout the Galaxy on aquatic worlds such as Mon Cala.

Even the inn Mando visits has a distinct and unique atmosphere from other locations like the Mos Eisley Cantina, in part due to its automated chowder delivery system. The Mon Calamari waiter tells Mando he needs to eat because seats are hard to come by, which means, the inn is booked solid. Impressive for a restaurant which seemingly only has one option on the menu.

Something I have always loved about Star Wars is the overengineered solutions to simple problems because the technology happens to be available. For a restaurant which seats maybe 50 people, pouring chowder by hand would seemingly be the optimal solution when you consider the cost of a chowder delivery system and the manpower involved in sanitization and repair.

All these small details work together to build a unique and memorable setting.

I guess, some might call it poetic justice for the child to be swallowed whole by some type of sea creature after the many frog eggs he swallowed whole last week.

The appearance of Bo Katan and the other Mandalorians was awesome! This isn’t the first time we have seen a character from animation make the jump to live action. Yet this somehow feels special. I think Katee Sackhoff playing the same character in both animation and live action makes the transition seamless and strengthens the continuity of the Star Wars universe.

When she arrived on the scene, Bo Katan was immediately recognizable based on her helmet design, but I also want to commend Katee Sackhoff’s performance because even her mannerisms reminded me of her animated incarnation.

The scene where Mando immediately assumes they aren’t Mandalorian and asks from whom they stole their armor because showing your face is… not the way, was great. Particularly love how ironic it is for Din Djarin to believe someone from Mandalore’s ruling class isn’t a true Mandalorian.

This interaction was really interesting and I get the feeling it hints toward perhaps a building overarching narrative.

The only Mandalorians seen in the show so far have been from Dyn Jarren’s culvert – and thus hold to the same code.

I’m really interested in learning more about the Children of the Watch. I’m wondering if we’ll see growing tension between Bo Katan’s alliance of Mandalorians and this religious cult dedicated to The Way. Could this pull in more elements from the old Knights of the Old Republic series?

It’s interesting to see the story weaving in more elements of the Expanded Universe here, in addition to the Filoniverse animated series storylines.

Mando initially refuses Bo Katan’s help on the basis that there is only one Mandalorian way – the one to which he adheres. After a second rescue, however, he listens to Bo Katan’s story.

She tries to recruit him to her cause to reclaim Mandalore. We have here yet another really interesting conversation, from which we learn more about Mando’s misconception regarding the Mandalorian homeworld.

It was cool to see Titus Welliver, the man in black from Lost and Felix Blake from Agents of SHIELD, play the Captain of the Imperial ship. And the officer Mando throws out of the airlock is played by the guy who ate Michael Scott’s chocolate turtles and sucks at bowling in Parks & Rec.

Was great to see Giancarlo Esposito back… can’t wait to see more of Moff Gideon. We didn’t see much of him in season 1, but I get the feeling he’ll play a much bigger role than standard Imperial Commander villain.

Can’t wait to see Ahsoka! She’s easily one of my favorite Star Wars characters. I wonder if Sabine will still be with her? Rex? Will we get an update on the search for Ezra Bridger? Is this going to spin off into an animated Rebels sequel? Or will The Mandalorian double as a Rebels sequel trilogy? So many questions I can’t wait to have answered!

Overall, I thought this was an excellent episode and I’m really excited to see where the rest of the season goes. Dave Filoni is set to write and direct the fifth episode of the season so even though Mando and the Child depart from Trask knowing Ahsoka’s location, I feel like they’re likely to be diverted in the next episode. It would just seem fitting for Dave to write and direct Ahsoka’s first live action appearance given the prominent role he had in helping to create her character and guide her story arc.

I brought up the idea last week that the second season is following a similar plot structure to the first and it seems that trend continues here. Again, the third season of both seasons has focused heavily on Dyn Jarren’s interactions with a group of Mandalorians.

If this pattern holds, the fourth episode will be a mostly standalone adventure. Speaking of which, Bryce Dallas Howard directed this episode and I think she did an excellent job. She previously directed the fourth season of the first season and though I still thought it was quite enjoyable, I thought it was overall the weakest of the season. This was a remarkable improvement.

The credits list Simon Kasssianides character as Axe Woves. Yet another Agents of SHIELD actor.

Din Djarin: This is the Way
    Bo Katan: This is the Way
    Axe Woves: Will my compliance be rewarded?

Though the series has been primarily focused on the solo adventures of the lone wolf and cub, Din Djarin and the Child, from this episode I get the impression that we’re seeing the beginnings of a much grander narrative. Mandalore has such a rich history in Star Wars both in the animated series like The Clone Wars and Rebels and in the expanded universe stories.

Giancarlo Esposito hinted that they already have plans for the third and fourth seasons and Jon Favreau has said that the storytelling may expand to put the spotlight on a wider cast of characters in the future.

I’m a big fan of the animated series, particularly The Clone Wars, so to see a live action series matching the tone and scale of those stories is really exciting.

This is the way to make great Star Wars!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I liked the episode but I’ll be the contrarian here.

1. Am I the only one annoyed by the puppet and mask work? Yeah I know nostalgia but many of the aliens look so fake and funny which I know they are going for comedy but I dunno.

2. Did anyone get reminded of power rangers when the Mandalorians swooped in?

3. oh Ferrick, the stormtroopers. I know, it’s a running joke but Lordy loo my goodness how can the empire be a threat at all? They take down literally an entire army! It kinda undermines the integrity of the whole series. Sure it was like that in Rebels but at least that was animated and Kanan and Ezra were Jedi and Zeb Lasunt but cmon. They drop like flies!

4. am I the only one who sees how low budgeted and short these are? The acting and story aren’t amazing enough to carry it so they are clearly spending as little money and getting enormous profit off this show.

Why does everything else star wars get so much hate and scrutiny but Mandalorian gets a special pass?

Master Cado Afu and fett 4 like this.
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I enjoyed the story for this episode, but I have one major problem. I thought the running time was too short at slightly over 30 minutes. Too much had occurred in this episode and because of the shorter running time, it almost seemed a bit too rushed for my tastes.

Snafu55 and StartCenterEnd like this.
  25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Ahhh - cool. OK, I stand corrected. But.....digestive juices must not affect the canopy material. And its waterproof too. :D

Bor Mullet and CrazyOldJedi like this.