main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I feel bad that we lost the pram now. The last little piece of Kuiil's handiwork.

2. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    Honestly, this would have come across as a bit redundant and, perhaps, even condescending had they resorted to this. After all, from chapter one it has been made pretty clear that Mandalorians are effectively walking around with armor in excess of the value of IRL Platinum. Can you imagine what would happen to you walking into a bad neighborhood outwardly wearing ten pounds of, say, gold? I know if I did it and got mugged no one would have to explain the motive of the mugger. I think where the disconnect occurs is that most of our valuable metals are valuable because the are so rare and pretty, but not because they have some irreplaceable value such as making the best armor known to man. Even where metals like gold excel, like conducting electricity, there are cheaper and more abundant metals that more than suffice. Beaker doesn’t seem to have an equivalent of copper except maybe DuraSteel?

rumblewagon likes this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    3) Ewoks. Enough said.
    4) These are hardly low budget, but they have filled a lot of roles with celebrity cameos where they probably could have brought in better actors. But they still have all-stars on board with faces like Carl Weathers and Giancarlo Espisito. And Werner was amazing in S1.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the only reason the empire didn't fell before ROTJ is because of Palpatine and his might and cunning, the storm troopers probaly were in suply by billions from worlds over, the are cheap an not very good but there more of them then any rebel strike force.

Snafu55 likes this.
  5. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    if it makes you feel better (it does for me) that wasn’t Kuill’s pram. That one wasn’t painted and was left on Nevarro. It should’ve been in the bar when the building was set on fire and, unless someone removed it, would still be there in the ash. OTOH, probably some Jawa has since scavenged it and resold it on the open market. :)

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    No...read between the lines. It was supposed to be funny.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it's been good for the most part, but this episode I felt they could have done better with the Quarren whenever they talked. Their mouth areas just looked too static. The Mon Cal were fine though.
    Well these are the most elite warriors in the galaxy, and we know Bo has decades of fighting experience, so I don't think it was an issue here. I think the series has struck a good balance in depicting Imperials and their relative competence depending on who they're up against.

CrazyOldJedi and StartCenterEnd like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Got it. Good to know. Didn’t seem like something you’d believe. :)

I don’t think moving forward in a timeline is important to a cinematic universe. As long as you’re making connections and telling new characters’ stories, it can go forward, backward and sideways for all I care.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Which is ironic since the episodes are as long as they need to be for the story they want to tell

Never felt any rush here

The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe Mandalorian gets a pass because a lot of people genuinely find it to be excellent. Weird how opinions work, isn’t it?

Snafu55, AndyLGR and LedReader like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also we have known since AHN that they pretty mutch about useless soldiers.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  12. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    They wrecked the rebels on Tantive IV, the crew of the Millenium Falcon on the Death Star was purposefully handled with kid gloves, so they can use the tracker to lead them to the Rebel Base, they killed every rebel fighter pilot aside from Wedge and Luke. The Empire was fine in ANH. Hoth was okay, The Bespin and Endor sequences is where they became useless.

Snafu55 and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    True but that might have just been Vader's personell strorm troopers. Also we got them being kinda stupid in AHN too with them hitting their head and not even seeing Kenobi while talking about new fighter.

Snafu55 and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  14. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, the puppet and masks are classic 1977 Star Wars. If they were too realistic I kind of wonder how that would go over. As is, they're as corny as they were in A New Hope, to my eye (a 2020 version of corny). That's why they work.

As for being short, yeah.

Low budget? I guess they're saying $15 million an episode. That's up there.

Low scale the series is (as Yoda would say), because that's the story they're telling. It's supposed to be small in scope. Think 1977 Star Wars again. But they're spending money.

I don't think we're ever going to have anything that truly rivals the movies. That takes too much time. Money probably isn't an issue, just time. And story intent.

And it gets a pass because it's fun, I guess. It's not trying too hard, it's just fun.
    Yeah, I guess.

Obi-Wan I'll love because it's Obi-Wan. Cassian I'll watch. If there's an Ashoka show I'll love that. Boba Fett: warrior-monk Boba I'll like. Boba Fett in green beat up armor: please no. You're kind of running out of characters now.

Do a Knights of the Old Republic series, fine. But how about just reworking it and calling it New Jedi Order or something. Set it 500 years after Rise of Skywalker, so you can do anything storywise and not have to try and make sure it fits with what comes after it. Just do that instead of something old and move forward that way.

Why they wouldn't do something like that is a bit of a mystery to me.

I guess they maybe have a plan? [face_rofl]

15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think the EU has shown that Vader's troops tend to be better trained, and perform well especially when he's actively leading them. Originally in ANH the stormtroopers were supposed to be elite troops according to Kenobi, but over time this has changed to the view that many of them are poorly trained and poorly equipped and often thrust into circumstances as pawns meant to merely overwhelm through sheer number.

This is why Death Troopers were introduced in Rogue One. To show that there is such a thing as elite troopers in the Empire.

Despite all of this, I think an average squad of Mandalorian warriors would easily cut through an elite group of stormtroopers.

16. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I also personally prefer the timeline moving forward. Back in the EU days, I pretty much only read the mainline series that were moving the timeline forward; bounty hunter and Rogue Squadron stuff didn't do much for me-doubly so for Clone Wars (literature, not cartoon!). Rogue Planet was a major exception, but it was Greg Bear and it was essentially backstory to NJO anyway.

Now, the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons, Mandalorian, and Rogue One are all fantastic. So, I'm not stuck on the idea of ONLY forward in the timeline. But I do like it when there isn't established canon to have to work around and fit into; it makes speculation as to where everything is going more fun to me. Because it's wide open at that point. I want to see how all of what we now know will impact the GFFA in the long run. Simultaneously, until Disney figures out what they want to do in those timeframes, I'd rather they leave it completely alone; no half-baked stories where not much happens. I've really disliked the modern EU lit, they don't let anything of serious consequence happen for fear they'll write themselves into a corner. It's cowardly, but if that's how they're gonna be, I'd rather wait until they're ready.

ST Discovery was having this same problem, and they've more than solved it now; simultaneously leaving a very wide berth so it doesn't clog up any of the canon. I think it's worth mentioning that SW was the first big series I remember doing this, going back thousands of years to make the Tales of the Jedi and KOTOR series; being so far removed from known timelines meant it didn't matter that it was prequel, there was still wide open space to write. Same with the old Legacy comics, although they probably didn't go far enough into the future for it, it was still far enough to permit a lot more freedom in the storytelling, both in the (then) current era and the Legacy era. I have some hope that the upcoming High Republic era will have some of this going for it; but I'd love to see a New Jedi Order (or equivalent) that had its origins in Rey, Ahsoka, Ezra, and the Child.

17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    brilliant episode.. i love the firsts in this show.. toilets in star wars.. second only burn up in atmospheres? First ocean going vessel apart from the little raft thing in Rise of Skywalker
    do we think we'll see Sabine? need to see Boba again and i guess Ashoka next episode. What other old characters do you think we'll see?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved this one, and that says something about Bryce Dallas Howard’s directing because IIRC the episode she directed last season was my favorite.

The frog couple reunion was sweet. I was worried about Baby Yoda that whole sequence; I felt bad for him when he couldn’t seem to get his soup in his mouth, and then when Mando left him with the frog couple I was afraid their remaining eggs would get eaten. Oddly enough I was not that worried about him surviving the drowning attempt, maybe because of the pod, or his Force powers.

Bo-Katan showing up was awesome. When she and Din started arguing, my thought was, crap, Din is a Pre Visla acolyte. But the taking of the ship was great and holy ****, apparently Moff Gideon demands kamikaze missions?

I look forward to seeing Ahsoka again. It will be interesting to see how they get there in a ship that makes the Falcon in ESB look pristine though.

19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

"Another happy landing."

Not sure if it meets the criteria you're looking for since it is a sub rather than a boat, but there's the Gungan Bongo in The Phantom Menace.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    oh yeah but i guess we've never been on a big ocean ship before..
    there might have been boats in resistance too??
    the episode 3 burn up i did think of but can't think of any more.. Still love mandos toilet tho

21. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    There were boat-themed ships, yes, including a classic pirate ship, but with rocket engines

22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Thats fair but I still think this show is a *tad* over hyped at this moment. Just my opinion, of course. It still feels "small" and Star Wars is "big" if that makes sense. Im happy that this last episode had a reference to Jedis and Ahsoka Tano. That got me excited. :)

Great summary here of how it sort of is .

23. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    .. there must have been boats in the clone wars when kit fisto led the battle on the ocean planet
    just been telling my son that i used to have a Quarren action figure from rotj but don't know if he has a name

Siphonophore likes this.
  24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I think the season finale will be where Mando comes to terms with not having to wear a bucket to be Mandalorian. He’ll do a proper face reveal to the child. Baby steps.

As for the stormtrooper debate - if anyone other than a beskar plated Mando tried to storm that corridor on the Gozanti cruiser it would’ve been over in seconds. Mando was shrugging off a LOT of blaster fire. I think Rogue One sort of showed it best that while stormtroopers may not be the most skilled foot soldiers their overwhelming number is what gets them over the line. RIP K-2SO.

25. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    They said they wanted his armour, the Beskar is really valuable.

Darth_Diealot likes this.