main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Queen's Gambit (miniseries)

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3sm1r, Nov 12, 2020.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't think we already have a thread for this.

I just finished watching it, and I've noticed that I'm not the only one here.

Overall, generally speaking, it seems to me that it was pretty decent.

What do you think ?

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think we all enjoyed it.

But did we enjoy it enough to justify a whole thread about it, 3sm1r you wild, crazy fool?

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Read the book. It's astounding how rigidly faithful the adaptation is. I'm not sure I've seen a miniseries so tightly lined up with the book. They cut a few things out, but it seemed like it was just edited out after having been filmed. The one racquetball court scene implies a whole Rocky Balboa training segment that was probably wisely left out.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What's going on with all this weirdness around making threads?
    If nobody cares about a subject it will simply get ignored, why are you making an issue out of it?

5. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    You asked a question, I answered it. Then I wondered where you were planning to take the thread. It was a good natured enquiry, if a little tongue in cheek. No need to get in my face about it.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    the queen's gambit is the sound of silence of chess openings, what about the rossolimo or the london system for a little bit of eclectic flair huh?

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Sorry my post came out more hostile than what I intended.
    To answer your question, after I watch something I like to discuss about it, and I do think there is stuff to be discussed here.

@Rylo Ken
    Does the book describe the actual chess games played?

My problem with most chess movies is that they often skip the games. In this case I'd say that the final tricky position was shown well enough*.

Chess is not an easy thing to make a drama about, because most people usually don't care about the actual game. It's also true though, that if the match is not shown at all the story might come out as a bit bland.

*Even though the dude keeping track on the board was a bit distracted and at a certain moment he inverts position of bishop and queen.

@epic I totally believe that they chose the queen's gambit for the simple fact that it contains the word queen and the protagonist is a woman.
    But she does play the Rossolimo at some point, just for you.

soitscometothis likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    No it doesn't, which was a disappointment. The miniseries apparently had a lot of solid chess consultation to make it authentic, so was much better in that regard.

3sm1r likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yes. The final combination was a cool chess puzzle, and the chess board was shown often enough to understand what was going on.

White to move

[​IMG]

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Obligatory post about how surreal it is for me to see this story in mainstream discussion. I first read The Queen’s Gambit in 2004, whereupon it became arguably my favorite book. To my knowledge, no one I met since then until recently had heard of it. I think I’ve mentioned it in a couple posts here over the years. To see it widely discussed feels almost bizarre.

It was meant to be Heath Ledger’s directorial debut, but he died before making it. Ellen Page was set to be Beth Harmon, and I think she was a great choice. She fit my perception of the character. Unfortunately, it never happened.

I may watch the series, but I’m not sure.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Is that because you feel Anya Taylor-Joy is not in line with your idea of the character, or are you simply unsure if you want to experience the story in another medium?

3sm1r likes this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I believe that Anya Taylor-Joy is the best aspect of the show. I find her portrayal believable even in the scenes in which she is supposed to behave more unconventionally. Very good job.

Emperor Ferus, Rew, Rylo Ken and 2 others like this.
  13. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    (Averts eye’s) Will watch the final episode tonight

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What’s it about?

Rylo Ken and 3sm1r like this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The story is about the classic orphan who's super talented but tormented by their past, which as a plot might sound very similar to like 90 % of the stories we happen to see, yet there is always something new to enjoy, as long as we face them with the proper mindset, more or less like in Groundhog day.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's a story that asks the fundamental question whether the Russians are cooler than us because they take chess seriously. (Yes. Yes they are.)

Rew, soitscometothis and 3sm1r like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched this last week with my father. We both really enjoyed it. Joy was terrific.

3sm1r likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well I already had some reservations and now I’m definitely not watching this. :p

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    DarthIntegral and Diggy like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Keep in mind, this teacher compliments the 8 year old chess prodigy by saying she is good at maths.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This is the other mistake.

In d3 there is the queen, not the bishop. In the game it becomes evident, but it's clear that if that was the position, Harmon's advantage would be obvious, since she could win the quality.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Diggy likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

5x3 is about my limit.

3sm1r likes this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the best aspect of the show for me was the production design and the attention to detail. i don't know why anyone would want to escape from anything these days, but if you'd like to be transported to a different time and place with cool hotel rooms this show will do the trick. the worst part was probably the smoking. if you've ever been a smoker this show will likely stir some old cravings.

Rew and 3sm1r like this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The worst part for me is the whole story, which felt a bit like stuff we have already seen in many other movies/books.

The orphan.... the genius with drug addiction.... the old mentor.... beating Russians at their game.....

Also, the French woman was too stereotypical. It's really like the classical French woman in people's imagination and I found it annoying.