main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Boba Fett in The Mandalorian & Spinoffs (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by RX_Sith, May 9, 2020.

1. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    The "people" and the "they" that you speak of is George Lucas, isn't it?

Or was implying Jango Fett (and by extension Boba Fett) was a "fraud" a thing some fans felt before The Clone Wars and "The Mandalore Plot" and Prime Minister Almec?

If it was a thing I wasn't aware of it. But it's easy to miss many things in Star Wars fandom, there's always a lot going on.

Personally, after what Almec said I didn't question it at all, it felt right to me.

Boba Fett hung out with Jabba the Hutt and all kinds of other "scum and villainy." And had beat up armor and a beat up ship; yes, Star Wars tropes through and through. And that look is what made him cool to people. But after seeing how the Mandalorians were in the Clone Wars, yeah, he doesn't look like he's a part of that; and by extension his father. The Mandalorian were presented as cultured and high-minded, and principled (duplicitous politicians notwithstanding), and not people who would associate with gangsters and their ilk, or get involved and do business with Cloners. And obviously not perfect people, but again, principled people with strong views.

(And just to cover my bases: yes, Pre Vizsla and Maul and the Black Sun. Purpose. Principle. Not perfect people, but principled.)

Anyway, again, this is George Lucas doing this. I guess he may have picked up a sentiment from fandom? I don't know what the case may be, but Boba Fett as a Mandalorian would feel weird to me. Jango and Boba Fett as cool villains with neat armor is what I see them as too.

2. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Just beyond the practicality of it, he grew up around nothing but Kaminonians, mini Jangos, other Bobas and miniBobas till he was 10 years old, then went through the Clone Wars, named after an army that looked like him. I feel that when he picked out a Mandolorian armor, he knew it would be his real face.

We can't go back to it just being neat armor though, and that doesn't seem to be where Disney is taking it. George Lucas' Mandalorian's left the whole warrior and armor thing far behind them and only a small terrorist cell on their moon still used the stuff. If that's how the lore stayed, and Jedi defeated the last Mandalorian warriors in the Clone Wars as was originally stated, Boba can wear neat armor without issue. Somehow that just wasn't the appeal for anyone else when it came to the Mandalorians.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2020
    Master Cado Afu likes this.
  3. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    When we see that in the OT the Jedi are forgotten, I doubt that the face of the clones has marked the memories....

4. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    The Clone Wars is a conflict that intergalactic history, there's a single face associated with the meaning of that phrase. The Empire suppressed knowledge of the Jedi after they were wiped out, and at their height they were only 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy to begin with. 3 million clones served in the republic army the clones themselves didn't get the order 66 treatment, they never disappeared, another 9+ million clones were added to that number of the course of the dark times, that one face should really be familiar with any with any kind of education or access to the holonet.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  5. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    When you say: "We can't go back to it just being neat armor though, and that doesn't seem to be where Disney is taking it."

I'm not sure how that applies to Boba Fett. He obviously wasn't raised Mandalorian, and wasn't part of some clan of extremist like Din Djarin. So whatever they're going to do with Din Djarin I don't see how that would apply to Boba Fett. Whatever they're going to do with Boba Fett I think would be his own unique story, which it should be. Armor would play a role in it, no doubt, but anything to do with Mandalore would be something that's tacked on after the fact. Clone Wars didn't touch on anything to do with Mandalore and Boba Fett, did it? (I'll have to rewatch them. Those were some cool episodes, but I haven't watched them in awhile.)

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying, but Boba Fett can wear his armor without issue, can't he?

The only people that would have a problem with it are Din Djarin and his clan of "we can't take off our helmets" Mandalorians. No one else would even care.

Bo-Katan, I'm not sure how she would react to Boba Fett. Probably would ask if he could fight, and if he can, come join me so I can attain power. And after that, probably pay him off and send him on his way. Or hire him as part of her security detail or something.

As for the appeal of other Mandalorians (and if this is what you're saying), it's because it isn't just about the armor with them, they had story. Pre Vizsla is cool as hell because of his story. Bo-Katan too. And Duchess Satine. They were fleshed out.

And Boba Fett, yeah, if you didn't read about him in the old EU then you would wonder why people are so crazy about a guy that just looked cool. And obviously that's why people like taking shots at him about being a Mandalorian. And George Lucas himself is the maker of this mockery. He created the character and said, yeah, these are Mandalorians, and this guy is a cool villain in Mandalorian armor (which is more or less how he was depicted in Clone Wars, right; sans the Mandalorian armor).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2020
  6. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Cobb Vanth was not at all surprised that he'd have to duel someone to the death for wearing Mandalorian armor in his remote village on a remote planet, this is about 10 years after the Purge, before that the sparse Mandalorian warrior clans had a civil war, before that they were under tight Imperial occupation, before that the Night of a Thousand Tears severely decimated their ranks, before that there was another civil war and before that their warrior clans were exiled to a moon for a decade.

40+ years ago, before all these things happened to thin the ranks of the Mandalorian warriors, barely giving them a chance to even leave Mandalorian space, Jango Fett was flying the galaxy making a big name for himself as the beat bounty hunter around. If it's a bad idea for Vanth, try and imagine just how suicidally bonkers crazy it was for Jango. And why? It looked cool. Is it so much to ask that there was more to this decision that defined his life?

RetropME and Master Cado Afu like this.
  7. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm not sure what connection you're drawing.

Are you saying it was dangerous for Jango Fett to wear his armor? If so, we see that the Mandalorians of that time obviously knew about him. And to them he was just a bounty hunter and they wondered where he got his armor. As in, he was just some guy, not a Mandalorian, going around in Mandalorian armor. Is there anything from that time to indicate that Mandalorians would kill you for doing that?

You had Pre Vizsla, but there's no indication that he and clan Vizsla and Death Watch were extreme in that manner.

And there was Din Djarin's Children of the Watch. Bo-Katan said though that they were a cult that broke away from Mandalorian society, and wanted to reestablish the ancient way. Emphasis on ancient. And obviously a more extreme splinter of Death Watch, if a splinter group of Death Watch is what they are.

So obviously when Jango Fett was alive "this was not the way," and only a self-exiled cult of Mandalorians believed otherwise. And this Children of the Watch apparently (or obviously) didn't know who Jango Fett was; one man in a galaxy of 50 million inhabited systems, so not surprising in any way. And how would Jango Fett know about some extremist cult of Mandalorians?

And yes, Cobb Vanth said that he heard stories about Mandalorians, about how good they were at killing. Maybe the stories he also heard were about extremist clans of Mandalorians like Din Djarin's that would kill non-Mandalorians for wearing the armor.

Again though, this belief isn't a widespread thing by any measure among Mandalorians. Not at all. Only by some. And if stories have gotten out now about Mandalorians killing non-Mandalorians for wearing armor then so be it, they're just stories that some people know about and some don't. Cara Dune wasn't even sure about it. She still probably doesn't know that Din Djarin would kill a non-Mandalorian for wearing the armor, all that she knows is that if Din Djarin took off his helmet he can't be a Mandalorian anymore.

Back to Jango Fett again: Almec didn't consider him a Mandalorian, because you wouldn't wonder where a Mandalorian got his armor from. It would be just like, say, Zam Wesell (posing as a human) wearing Mandalorian armor. That individual is just some bounty hunter wearing Mandalorian armor, where they acquired it I have no idea.

As for why Jango Fett would wear Mandalorian armor? Maybe just like Cobb Vanth, he heard stories about them. And someone of his chosen profession taking on that persona would probably be beneficial.

Finally, can they change Jango Fett and say that he was always a Mandalorian? George Lucas didn't find it necessary when creating the character, but yeah, sure. And they made Rey Palpatine's granddaughter, so they can do anything. And that was a joke. But yeah, they can change it and do it in a good way. Why it would be necessary I don't know, but it's not like they can't do it.

8. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Almec and Obi-Wan discuss Jango Fett after his death, he was quite safe from retribution at that point and Almec is or was pretending to be a part of Satine's pacifist government, killing people would be rather counterproductive to that and Pre Viszla and the other remaining warriors has been confined to the moon since the war for years now. But before TPM, when Obi-Wan and Satine had their romance, before Jango went to Kamino to serve as the clone template, things were very very different, Mandalorian warriors were still a ubiqitious force throughout the galaxy, all the terrible things that inspired Satine to outlaw their warrior ways were still happening. Jango Fett thought it was a hoot to wear Mando gear, then.

And yeah, I have never seen it suggested that Mandolorians are fine with just anyone wearing their armor. Sabine is no extremist, but she still feels strongly about her armor being a priceless family heirloom that has been passed down for generations.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Logically, most Mandalorians not having a “keep your face” covered rule does not necessarily imply that they’re OK with non-Mandalorians wearing Mandalorian armor. That’s an assumption that’s currently not justified by canon, I think.

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Jango is a concord dawnian isn't he.. is that not in same system of Mandalore? I hope Jango left the way to make his own way across the universe. simply

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Allegedly. Literally

RetropME and darthfettus2015 like this.
  12. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Nobody seemed to care when Obi-Wan wore Death Watch Beskar. Bo-Katan even gave him a rocket pack.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The deathwatch mandos are extremists. The armour means something more to them then what it does to Bo-Katan and Co.

14. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I want to hear more backstory about Jango. Was he a Mandalorian and did he pass on any sort of creed to Boba? Did Boba consider himself a Mandalorian? Clearly there are differences as to what makes a “true” Mandalorian based on the most recent episode.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    But he was explicitly allied with them during that episode (and he was a Jedi). He’s not just some bounty hunter using Mando armor to pursue his selfish desires. He’s actively helping the people of Mandalore.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you read the Jango Fett: Open Seasons comic? That tells how a young Jango came to be with the Mandos. Also the six-book YA Boba Fett series (novels) that came out after AOTC tell about Boba's relationship with Jango. The first book runs parallel to the AOTC timeline. The later books bridge the gap to RoTS.

17. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Right. That's the way I feel about it too.

It is an annoyance to them. Varying levels or degrees of annoyance to them, and to some to the extreme obviously. But it's not simply okay to any of them.

Yeah, and that's a story that can be told in the Boba Fett.

A few asides: I don't think I ever gave Mandalore and it's culture a thought until the Clone Wars. I don't read EU so it would never have come to mind, I guess. And really, I'm only interested in it because Obi-Wan is my favorite character and his relationship to Duchess Satine is what made Mandalorian culture fascinating to me.

I do remember the grumbling from some about the changes to Mandalore in the Clone Wars from the EU, but since I had no idea what old EU Mandalore was anyway I just chalked it up as more George Lucas grumbling. And George Lucas' Mandalore was pretty damn cool to me, so I was good.

Also, Cobb Vanth is an interesting character as is, he doesn't need any Mandalorian backstory added to him. So it's not something that's a necessity.

And Boba Fett: that warrior-monk look looks as though it has a ton of story potential. They could go with saying he's developed his own philosophy, his own creed. A "Tao of Fett," if you will. He has his own disciples. Boba as a buddha. Allah.

The Boba Fett mini may be quiet in tone as I suspect the Obi-Wan mini will be.

And Star Wars loves it's dichotomy between spirituality versus the machine. Boba Fett is now spiritual, perhaps.

RetropME likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do really hope whatever they do with Fett moving forward it’s more inspired than he’s the same person but you know scarred or something. They have a real good opportunity to redefine his character. I hope they do

godisawesome likes this.
  19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It's also AWESOME.

...And it was the first real appearance of the Death Watch and Clan Vizsla.

(Kind of like to see their horned helmets from the comic appear in the show at some point...)
    This is all just pure speculation... but it occurs to me they could use him to emphasize yet another path that Din could go down alongside the paths offered by the Armorer, Bo, and possibly Gideon. Where the Armorer could offer him a nomadic existence where he still belongs to a tribe, Bo a homeworld he has to fight for, and Gideon possibly a position of leadership and despotism, maybe Boba can offer or at least expose the path of solitary existence?

...With the caveat that Boba's so bitter and isolated he epitomizes why Din will want to avoid that lifestyle.

I kind of want to see Boba as this just psychologically scarred and terrifying professional killer that's trying to redefine himself at the same time Din is.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Wasn't Bo-Katan in the Death Watch and they took their helmets off didn't they? It was The Children of the Watch that Din grew up in, more of an extreme cult than the movement that is the Death Watch.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Correct but Din as seen by his flashbacks was saved by someone in Death Watch

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  22. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    That can change in 20+ years since the clone wars.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    That remains the only secondary piece of information that might imply Jango at least has a history with the Mandos.

If it was me... I'd prefer Jango's Open Season's backstory being integrated into canon, with his lack of clan or tie to the planet of Mandalore and militaristic side giving Almec room to argue he doesn't count - particularly if it can be played as some amount of xenophobic elitism towards a Mandalorian "subject" instead of a Mandalorian "citizen."

With Boba, though... I'm slowly becoming more interested in him being something like Dar'Manda at best, and neither personally be interested in being considered a Mandalorian nor have anyone trying to claim him as one - though still derived form the culture enough to make the issue cloudy to outsiders.

What I would like to maybe see used as part of Boba's personality going forward is to perhaps make him pure hunter, and base everything around him off his occupation - maybe he's just better at tracking and ambushing than anything else, specializes almost exclusively in asymmetrical tactics (which is why he had such a poor showing against Luke and Han in ROTJ - that was a straight up fight he didn't get to choose), takes and uses trophies as much as possible, and has an honor code that's not so much warrior based as predator and prey based.

If he ain't a Mando in temperament or ethnicity, maybe focus on the fact he was introduced wearing Wookie scalps, the reintroduced with what seems to be Tusken gear he might have taken by force, and make his armor a trophy from someone he personally killed.

DannyD and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    as Boba is related to the clones.. i wonder if we will ever see clone remnants in live Action? id love that.. wevare getting Ashoka so be good to have some like Rex and the guys abandoned on that planet in Rebels

25. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    This is the way, for Boba.