main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I also felt differently about this one because it was a trapped animal/ pet, rather than a wild monster threat. So it didn't register in the "monster" category for me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What does that have to do with anything? No one said anything about Death Troopers being clones.
    Replacing clones with regular recruits doesn't in any way mean that there aren't elite troops. For one, the clones aren't somehow genetically superior to everyone else in the galaxy. There is no reason to assume that being a clone of Jango Fett somehow made you a superior soldier compared to basically every other human available in the galaxy. If anything, having (almost) the whole galaxy available to draw from, you are likely to acquire a larger and more capable group of people who are more capable than Jango was. Just like you are likely to acquire a far larger group of elite troops than the small numbers of Mandalorians ever could. It's not like being raised by Mandalorians automatically guarantees that you will become a great soldier either.

Why would specific examples be needed?
    It's not like Mandalorians had much of a background of anything. Nor did the clones. It was just randomly stated that they were great warriors and that was it.

Training all your life doesn't somehow make you automatically superior. Nor do we know how much Mandalorians actually train "all their life". If you use the "we haven't seen something therefore we have to discount it" argument, you also have to apply it to Mandalorians as well.
    Also, the "best" soldiers in WW2 weren't necessarily some life-long soldiers, most of them were in fact the exact opposite. There is only so much you can gain from training and combat experience. Your physical stature has its limits, and your mental state isn't entirely linked to training either.

The Mandalorians, at least those who carry an entire armor out of beskar, do have better armor, but beyond that there isn't really much reason to think that they are superior to everyone else. Their armor is an advantage, but it doesn't make you a better or more elite warrior. Certainly not to the level that they just walk over everyone else.

I didn't really consider that to be a dangerous monster either. Certainly not on a level compared to the two prior episodes, which were to a large extend about dealing with the monster. Now if this had been another monster of the week episode instead, it might have been a bit repetitive.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Stormtroopers are to Death Troopers as regular army is to Delta Force.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    By that rationale, the Jedi could be considered a bunch of "brainwashed cult members". Mando has been raised to follow a very strict code, not unlike the Jedi. Refusing to remove his helmet is hardly that extreme. Now, Bo-Katan and her cohorts seem to consider The Watch to be a cult, but given Bo-Katan's own history, her opinion is very subjective.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Jedi of the Late Republic were kind of brainwashed. Not saying that they were bad but their weaknesses certainly helped Palpatine take power.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I know Titus from Deadwood and Lost. He’s great and it was cool to him though I wish he had a bigger part.

Fandalorian and Siphonophore like this.
  7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I think I confused it with something else. My bad. I see someone else has it at 5 years after

What world building has really taken place though? Thats part of my issue. Where is everyone else? Where's the cities, people, stuff? Unless thats not really what you mean. Its an OK show thus far, IMO. I feel like its ready to take the next step and Im glad for that.

Yeah, in general it sometimes has that video-game feel as in: go to an area, fight a boss/guys, dispose of them, next level, etc. seem to be the recurring theme & plots. I also dont feel the Manalorian himself has really developed much. He doesnt have a personality at this point. Very terse & monotone. I felt like early on in the SW films with like Solo, Luke and others that we got more upfront development/behavioral cues about them which sets up their arcs. The Mando hasnt got much yet that i can sink my teeth into. I dont know anything about him. Maybe thats on purpose.

But, we'll see. I know there are plenty of shows to go yet. Not panicking, just stating my opinions here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t don’t disagree Mando is very bare bones. I don’t know why. But this show is more about the journey and side characters than it is about Din himself. Sure we know stuff about him, but other than his past and that he doesn’t kill children that’s pretty much it.

fett 4 and The Regular Mustache like this.
  9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    ROTS did it before Rebels, and with a ship that was much more compromised.

10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I recognised him straight away from the show but I've never seen it.

Fandalorian likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Titus Welliver has been in so much stuff I lost count lol. I recognized him, but couldn't remember his actual name.

But I knew he was in movies, shows etc :)

DarthKegs likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I first saw Titus Welliver in the The X-Files season 1 episode Darkness Falls, in which he played an "eco-terrorist".
    He was already great back then.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I for once can say I did not recognize him

14. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    So does that make three from the Deadwood series so far? Titus Welliver, Timothy Olyphant and W. Earl Brown.

I wish Powers Boothe was alive. He would fit right in somewhere in this show.

15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Uh, yes it is? The show clearly portrays it as such. The idea is that it limits him from normal human connection.

I think many organizations engage in something close to cultish behavior. Even corporations. I've met real cult members before, and I didn't find them much different from some unhealthily dedicated to their company's ideals.

However, I don't mean to suggest all cultish values are necessarily unhealthy. But they tend to be extreme and highly ideological.

16. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    This is why I hate birthdays in the workplace. Feels forced and I usually ghost or find busy work which I get makes me anti-social in those settings, even though I'm totally not.

I also hate wearing lanyards for whatever reason. I won't do it, even at conferences or amusement parks for fast pass. I think the only time I was okay with it is when I once went as Nerd Herd Chuck for Halloween.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Lanyards are disgusting and I won’t wear one no matter what the consequences.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The bare bones nature is probably to emulate the Wild West frontier feel - no major metropolises, an overtaxed and far away central authority, and several different groups of criminals, former-military brigands, outcasts, and hostile native populations populating a massive area in which our hero can be hounded and hunted, but still find ways to maneuver to safety.

It's a bit like the old western TV shows, minus the central city they often had to save on budget. Din's traveling from a one-banatha town to another one-bantha town, and even his biggest enemy isn't so much a massive military structure, but more of a paramilitary hold-out more akin to the ex-Confederates that fled to Mexico.

And the general quality of the show right now is more akin to the more high quality stories from stuff like Gunsmoke or Bonanza; formulaic, but not totally rigid, and capable of some progress... with that progress being the myth arc they use about every other episode.

Fin McCool and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was more talking about Din than the actual show :p

20. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    No, his belief in keeping his face hidden is not extremist. There are real world examples of such beliefs. The extremist religious zealot behavior is Mando preparing to take by force, if necessary, the Mandalorian armor from those he feels are not following the code he adheres to.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Got it!

...Though to follow up on someone else's idea in a different thread, the "bare bones" nature of Din's characterization could be serving to obfuscate and restrain his own individual identity, alongside his helmet, so that we as an audience get to see it gradually "born" before our eyes.

A good comparison might be the use of helmets and masks in TFA for the characters of Rey, Finn, and Kylo. While the Kylo mask presented the image and identity he wanted people to associate with him, Rey and Finn were both rendered anonymous for the brief time they wore the mask, and both their scenes after removing the mask gradually create their identity in the audience's mind - with Finn especially becoming humanized once the mask comes off.

It's probably not a coincidence that Adult1Din's appearance without his helmet was in a pitiable scene with a "nursing droid" tending to him, not all that different in mood and context from our glimpses of Child!Din in the past. Heck, event he fact we usually call him "Mando" instead of Din probably points to Din not being fully developed.

The character is still somewhat juvenile in his sense of self. We're watching his gradual maturation.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I agree & it's not a bad thing. He's kinda like the mysterious stranger in a western. He has a goal this season and on that journey we see him meet all these different people, for us huge fans to say they're Easter Eggs is putting it lightly lol. Whether he achieves his goal or gets involved w/Bo-Katan again is anyone's guess.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I don't follow your logic here. You seem to be arguing that if something takes place in the real world, it's not extreme. But obviously that's not so.

Never showing your face to others is an extreme practice. It's a perfect example of extremism. Now, we can debate whether or not that behavior is good, bad, or somewhere in between, but it certainly is an extreme behavior in comparison to how most act, in the real world and also in the GFFA.

Perhaps the key thing to takeaway from this is that extremity itself isn't always bad. The word has that connotation, for sure, but sometimes extreme measures or behavior are appropriate.

However, what's maybe most important here is to understand how the show thinks about the helmet wearing -- it shows us that it blocks the Mando from human connection, and that's bad because he seems to desire it.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As I understand, his Mandalorian creed mandates that he is a Mandalorian above his individuality, therefore the reason of never taking off the mask. His new face shall be the mask which is the symbol of the Mandalorians (at least for the Mandalorians that follow the same creed as he does).

It is extreme for those that do not belive in his creed, but for him it is "the way". An interesting debate on possible similarities in real life, I am sure one can find similar behaviour in human history.