main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Koska Reeves (Mysterious Hooded Woman)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I like her hair, it's rad.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Probably helps cushion her head with the helmet on.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    At first i tought she might Sabine's mother, she looked quite like her.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think she is Sabine now

6. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I was so confused because I didn't see "Sasha Banks" in the credits. [face_laugh]

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    she was never going to be Sabine

character only had a few lines, but I thought she was cool, hope we see the character again

8. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Not enough lines for me to judge whether she is a worse actress than weirdo Gina Carano. Gina is a 4/10 and I suspect Sasha is perhaps a 6 or 7.

However, I don't mind some bad acting in SW. To me it's a quality of the B-movie genre Star Wars is born from and not a bug. For some characters, just looking the part is what you want.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    You're just overreacting because she's a wrestler by trade. She really wasn't that bad compared to some performances given by 'real actors' in the Saga.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Nope. Her line delivery while sitting on the Razorcrest is up there with Carano's worst, IMO. I feel that way not because they are wrestlers, but because they are bad actors. But I do recognize that there was some pretty bad acting in the PT, and a few minor parts in the OT and ST. Doesn't mean it's something to emulate, though. When the acting is good, Star Wars is better.

11. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    Sasha Banks always talks like she has a cold, I wouldn't have understood any of her dialogue if it weren't for the subtitles. In fact, she sounded clearer with the helmet on in that initial scene after rescuing the child.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I thought the character's name was "Costco Sleeves",lol.

I don't think she had many lines, out've the three they left most of the talking to Bo-Katan which I guess makes sense she was the boss.

Mercedes Varnado and Gina Carano are both fine in their respective roles. Which are more action and physical - they are basically female gladiator- amazon and military type character women. That wouldn't necessarily translate to being refined speaker characters or having to be trained actors to play more physical roles in a fantasy series.

Besides Star Wars isn't really isn't known for its great acting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought she did a good job and I hope to see her again. This isn’t Shakespeare. I don’t need Daniel Day-Lewis-level acting in every scene. Although I agree the Imperials were really good in this. Especially the door guy.

“Close the door! CLOSE THE DOOR! All of them! All of them! CLOSE ALL THE DOORS!” [face_laugh]

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That dude cracked me up. He was a perfect mix of cowardly and kinda sorta brave but not really.

15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "Where are those Droidekas?"

Everything is so cosy and familiar in the GFFA.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    One of the advantages of Reeves and Dune as characters for less traditional actors is that they're basically "jarhead" style characters - sounding less refined and more like a braggart is an asset.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, they just sound like they’re acting poorly.

Good actors can actually play convincing jarheads and braggarts, with all the lack of refinement that entails. Like Christian Bale in the fighter, Ice Cube in Three Kings, or even Katee Sackhoff herself in Battlestar Galactica. Bad actors, even if they are jarheads or braggarts, don’t play convincing ones when the TV or movie cameras are pointed at them.

This is a high-budget show. And it’s mostly phenomenal. I don’t see a good reason to deliberately introduce bad acting in some roles, thus keeping the show from achieving its full potential.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Her hair gave me bad "Dwarves in The Hobbit" vibes...

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, they aren't both wrestlers. Sasha is a professional wrestler (fake) and Gina is an MMA fighter (real). Important distinction. ;)

I haven't found them running the acting into the ground; SW always has some moderately corny dialogue/acting, including ANH. So far what I've seen works within the bounds of SW; I think they both have enough of a screen presence.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It was bad acting, that’s all I’m saying. Tolerance for that in SW is another matter. My feeling is that SW should seek to improve that aspect of itself, not double down on it. But it’s a minor issue. I love this show almost as much as my pets. And I reeeeaaally love my pets.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I agree bad acting is only a positive thing for a movie/ series/ franchise if it provides some 'so bad it's good' novelty.

Otherwise bad acting is just bad acting regardless of what you're in.

Having said all that, 'bad acting' is also subjective, (I personally think Daisy Ridley's acting in the entire ST is atrocious but that's just me) it's only until i came on this thread that I realised that people had a problem with Gina Carano's acting at all. So it's not really something that bothers me too much-especially when it's a bit part character with hardly any lines.

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    True
    [​IMG]
    I loved it
    Star Wars has a history of excellent acting skills
    [​IMG]
    ....so the Sasha Banks cameo is the least I care about

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    that gif deserves to be posted outside spoilers

[​IMG]

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, but SW does have some of the novelty acting you are talking about. What some may consider bad acting can be intentional- I've always said that about AOTC- what many may see as atrocious lines and acting actually have intentionality to them- that's the way they were meant to be. There are certain ways people act corny or overact that are intentional for the situation; that's a part of dramatic portrayal. I think they are getting what they want out of the acting in the show. After all, if they wanted Meryl Streep for the role, they would have hired her (well, maybe she wouldn't want the part, but you get what I mean- they have a lot of options for getting the acting they want).

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Sasha Banks has a range. She’s better as a heel, and kinda dull as a babyface.

Still, she was fine for what she was here. Better than “Two Fighters Against a Star Destroyer?” at least.