main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph BBC to Adapt 'His Dark Materials'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Nov 3, 2015.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Just watched it. It was good The daemons do appear to be better-animated and Ruth Wilson continues to command the screen whenever she’s on. It’s been too long since I’ve read the novels but from what I recall Cittagazze looks perfect.

And, oi, it’s that girl from GOT!

CairnsTony and soitscometothis like this.
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yeah, the final book is big, thematically; so depending on how season 2 is received, and of course funding, they might want to consider two seasons. I'd be perfectly fine with one, if it means not stretching the material too thin, but we'll see.

If they did go ahead and green light four seasons, I could see them shooting them back to back, not least because Dafne and Amir aren't getting any younger, and shooting has already been delayed due to the pandemic.

I'm also hoping they finally get to shoot the aborted stand-alone for season 2 that was meant to feature Lord Asriel, and what he is up to in season 2. They could tack it on to season 3, I suppose. They were very lucky as it was being able to wrap the other episodes just before lockdown.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Season 2 episode 2, "The Cave." Another really good episode.

So, was that...
    the bench?

Total side note: ti's kinda charming that Daphne Keen's father, Will Keen, also has a role in this series (he plays Father MacPhail), but on the other hand it's a little distracting to me; whenever they cut from one to the other I can't help but notice how much she resembles her father.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I had no idea that was her father, but now you mention it I can really see it. It's the eyes I think.

And yeah, pretty sure it was.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I'm glad we finally have Mary Malone in the story. She's my favourite character from the books, and incredibly important going forwards. Simone Kirby perfectly captures what she is like.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    This is getting better and better. (Also, hey, it’s Chancellor Valorum!)

7. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    That scene with Terence Stamp was one of the best in episode 4, which I think was the best episode in season 2 so far. They could not have executed Will claiming the subtle knife better IMHO.

And finally Mary Malone makes her Earth-shattering discovery. In the book, the angels write on her computer screen, but I loved the change for the show with their voices ringing out through the room instead! It was almost word-for-word the same as the book too.

My primary concern is the treatment of the character of Serafina Pekkala. In the book, she is increasingly at odds with Ruta Skadi who wants all out war. Serafina is just interested in protecting Lyra, whatever it takes. Here in the show, Serafina and Ruta seem to be reading largely from the same song sheet, which is a bit disappointing, even if it is fun to see them now ripping into the Magisterium's minions.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    And just as I say episode 4 was good, episode 5 tops it. All the set up in the first few episodes is really paying off now.

Marisa Coulter is turning into such a multilayered character. Ruth Wilson manages to convey such complexity in an episode where she is challenged like never before.

For non-book readers, this is effectively the end of Mary Malone's story in book 2, though she plays a huge role in book 3. I've a feeling though, with two episodes to go, that we will see a bit more. My hunch is that she will enter the world of the mulefas (really bizarre looking creatures) in one final scene.

There's still a lot of book material to cover, so I'm expecting two packed final episodes!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    This season is blowing the first one out of the water. I just hope that by the time season three comes around we don't miss the planned Asriel focused episode that was planned. Maybe it's just hindsight, but I felt I had a better grasp of his goals by this point in the books than I do in the show.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I really want that episode too. I hope they still go ahead and film it and tack it on to season 3; and then perhaps later switch it to the end of season 2 for repeat showings, and for various other release formats.

11. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Best episode of the show so far IMO. Remarkable how this show continues to get better. This episode even improved on the novel, and that's rare—I thought the scene where Marisa Coulter meets Mary Malone was particularly genius, as was the four-way showdown between Lyra, Will, Boreal, and Coulter. Is there any news on season 3 yet?

Neat little Easter egg: Pan taking the form of a
    wolverine

CairnsTony likes this.
  12. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Absolutely! Some cracking scenes. Like the interrogation scene between Marisa and Lee (which also didn't happen in the books, but which was brilliant), I think they're exploring the Marisa character as much as possible to contrast her with other characters more- and it's paying dividends.

I haven't read the Book of Dust yet, but I understand they explore her past traumas more there, so this stuff is sort of in the books too. They've contrasted her with Lee, and how she compares as a mother with how he compares as a surrogate father; they've contrasted her with Mary, to show how, in a world where women can be professors, a lot of her bitterness, is due to her lack of rights as a woman in Lyra's world; they've contrasted her with Boreal, and shown how she isn't pure evil; and they've contrasted her with Lyra herself; and actually shown that Lyra may have more in her that is like Marisa then she would admit. But of course, there are key differences too. All of that is fantastic for the viewer, because we get to see all these layers to her persona.

I've heard they're doing prep for season 3, but no go-ahead as yet. They'd be mad not to finish it now IMHO. This show can surely only get better because the set up is complete now; and the huge cosmic, religious, and moral themes of book 3 give context to everything.

I like the way Lyra growled before Pan transformed into a wolverine and attacked the golden monkey! He was also a wolverine briefly in Cittagazze when they rescued the cat from the kids that were trying to kill it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    First season was really good. Although, I have no idea if it followed the books or not. Some of it was rather confusing.

We watched EP 1 of the second season but stopped until the whole thing is out. We prefer marathon binging these shows lol.

CairnsTony likes this.
  14. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    A common complaint from non-book readers is that they either found season one too slow, or didn't understand where things were heading.

This is completely understandable. Even though book 1 is beautifully written, the bigger picture is barely hinted at. What this story becomes by book 3, more than makes up for this, and suddenly everything makes sense.

The show is pretty faithful to the books: both the story and the atmosphere. Some of the characters have been tweaked (most notably Lee Scoresby who is much older in the books), but those changes don't significantly impact the story-telling. Added non-book scenes mostly enhance the story IMHO, giving it extra layers.

EDIT: I've put the next bit in spolier tags. Sorry, should have done that at the beginning. @Count Yubnub :p
    A clue, but not really a spoiler: HDM is a reverse telling of the epic poem Paradise Lost; which is of course about the war between satan and God, and how ultimately this impacted on the Garden of Eden, and the subsequent loss of innocence. Most of the key players in HDM are in that poem, but everything is flipped around.

If you're religious, you may not like where this ends up. It is high on the list of banned books in the US, though those controversies largely are misinterpretations of the material.

This story is truly epic, and I can't even begin to imagine how they're going to pull off season 3 because of its sheer scale by that stage.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Count Yubnub and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Ah, quite. I'll be more careful to use spoiler marks from now on.

And yeah, I'm really looking forward to season 3, but I have no clue how they're going to do all of that. If they're going to stay close to the novels, I suspect the cost will be extremely high, for a TV series.

CairnsTony likes this.
  16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah I’m really looking forward to the book 3 scenes, particularly
    the part with Lyra’s journey to the underworld of the dead, and being separated from Pan. The harpies have the potential to come off as cheesy and not scary, so I hope they pull that off properly

CairnsTony likes this.
  17. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I mean. I think how that scene resolves though will be very moving if they pull it off. It had me in tears reading it.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Question about Mrs Coulter’s daemon:

It’s been a while since I read the books, but was it established in them that Mrs Coulter can bear being separated from her daemon like that? I thought that was only possible for the witches and then for Lyra and Will, who go through the separation ordeal. Not sure I particularly like Mrs Coulter being able to do the same.

19. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    As I recall, she can do this to some degree, even in the books. I think they are playing up the idea in the show to suggest that she may be part witch.

I've heard the rumour that she has been severed, but that doesn't make sense, otherwise she would not feel pain when Pan attacks the monkey. And there is clearly still some sort of bond there.

After all, she can control spectres!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Can she? I forgot about that. I really should re-read the books...

Count Yubnub and CairnsTony like this.
  21. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I remember a scene (I think it was in the first book) where Marisa suspects that Lyra has the alethiometer (at the party?) and Lyra catches the golden monkey coming out of her bedroom alone, so some distance from Marisa. Lyra concludes it was looking for the alethiometer

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  22. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Just seen this:
    Yep. Pretty sure it is. At least every commentator is saying that it is. It's in the right location.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I’m really digging season 2, seeing the Subtle knife for the first time adapted is so exciting and I really love what they’re doing with it and how and the new Mrs. coulter stuff I really hope we get season 3 news soon tell everyone you know to watch it and like spread the word!

CairnsTony and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Easter egg I hadn’t noticed before:
    John Parry’s/ Jopari’s daemon, Sayan Kötör, is voiced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Fleabag is Hot Priest’s daemon :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Mar17swgirl and CairnsTony like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Another wonderful episode! Season 2 is continuing to be truly epic and excellent.

I'm getting nervous about season 3 though; the Google gods tell me they've started working on it despite the fact that it's not actually officially greenlit yet.

Bye bye, Lord Boreal.

In the previous episode, he tried to impress a visibly uninterested Marisa Coulter with his collection of trinkets and the sound quality of his speakers. One of last week's reviews commented,
    which I thought was funny. It did predict where this was all going.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Ariyon Bakare's portrayal of this character. I hadn't seen him in much; I recognized him from a small but important role in "Carnival Row" (also a great series). I just checked his filmography and I have apparently also seen him in "Good Omens," and also, get this, in "Rogue One," where he had a small cameo as a rebel pilot. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the future.

CairnsTony likes this.