main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Someone pointed out in the Tech Question thread that the forum prefixes weren't working when you clicked on them. They are now..

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Not going to lie, the JCC kind of sucks now.

I liked it better when it was a mix of serious threads and non-serious threads in one place that you can hop in and out of. I could post the songs I was listening to, while talking politics and sports and any range of topics, and in between that play random games and just bull**** around with other JCCers to pass the time. It was fun, and there was a real liveliness to it all. There was much more of an actual community atmosphere with all kinds of stuff going on. You could go six pages deep of threads responded to within just the past couple of days. And if you were a newcomer to the JCC, you would see all that happening and quickly recognize that it's just a cool place to hang out that isn't centered around Star Wars but includes those same people you see everywhere else on the forum.

Now, the Fun and Games section seems to fast be going the way of one of those areas of the forum that hardly gets any traffic. And, in a way, almost feels a bit patronizing to have to go into an entirely separate area meant for doing that kind of thing.

And the Community section just feels super dull and boring now. There's just none of that same liveliness to it. By the fourth page there's already threads that haven't been responded to in over a week.

One thing I do want to point out is that there are still a number of threads in the Community section that seem pretty non-serious, so I don't understand the distinction between those threads and threads that get relegated to the Fun and Games section. At this point, all the Fun and Games section did was remove a select few threads from the Community section, and doesn't really serve any other purpose than that when you compare those threads to some of the threads that still remain in the Community section. Are those 110 threads in the Fun and Games section, half of which haven't even been responded to in the past year, such a detriment to the Community section that they warrant being separated from it? What is the point of having an entirely separate section just for those few amount of threads? Especially when you consider what I said about the fact that the Community section already appears dead just a mere four pages in.

Just seems like a whole bunch of ado was done that ultimately amounted to nothing except making the JCC completely lame compared to what it used to be. I move for a vote of no confidence. I think it should go back to all being one thing, back to being all one community.

gezvader28 and Sarge like this.
  3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    nah I like how it is now, the change was for the better

Point Given , 3sm1r, Pensivia and 4 others like this.
  4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I mean, you also have to consider, a year from now, if and when things majorly settle down from everything that 2020 has brought us, when there's no pandemic and politics is boring again, how much less traffic there will be in the Community section overall. In fact, my biggest argument a little while ago was that a lot of what people were complaining about had a lot to do with the circumstances we have found ourselves in this year, and to allow for that for the time being. And once things settle down, those issues in the JCC will also work themselves out. But now with the recent changes made, already there is a stark difference in the JCC no longer being the hotbed of activity it once was. And a year from now I can see it being even less so than it is now.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You can make joke threads, they just can’t be like +1 threads

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Once on the main page of the JCC, it's two clicks to the F&G Forum. So instead of hopping in and out of threads, you just need to hop between two forums. Sure, it may be a little annoying at first, but it'll become old hat if you chose to do it on a daily basis.

Based on what data? I see the first page of the F&G forum has updated posts up to Saturday at the latest. Also the forum has 429K messages. Sure, it inherited a lot from the JCC, but it seems to have a good set of users that frequent the forum and great mods that are actively generating content through Games, so if feels bustling to me. I would be interested on the amount of traffic data from the mods before making any statements. In four days, it'll be open for two months so as forums go, it's still a baby and it has a lot of room to grow and mature.

I can see your point of view on this slightly, only because of the current focus on Senate related threads i.e. Politics and Pandemic. It's a rough time in the world so reflectively, it may appear to be a rough time in the JCC. Currently though, users are having fun in the mixtape thread, Internet's new cat thread, and the bff thread to name a few.

It's not a question of seriousness vs not. It was a matter of discussion vs not. A lot of +1 threads with little to no discussion went to the F&G forum for those who have fun posting one response to a thread and moving on to the next one.

The "JC Community" voted for this separation and I believe most are happy with the move. What you consider lame, I consider an improvement.

Ultimately, the JC forum, whether it's the JCC, or Lit, or SWF, or F&G - they all exist for your enjoyment. So make the joy you want to see and hopefully others will follow suit.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Fair enough.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus it’s not like it isn’t under the same sub section of the whole forum. It’s now just under a subsection of a subsection.

Pensivia likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That "dull and boring" you are feeling is the glorious absence of spam, and we love it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes. This. I actually find myself looking through Community much more often now because I'm not drowning in spam when I do.

Diggy and Bacon164 like this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The fact is, it used to be so much more lively, and there was a lot of stuff going on. You could go 10-12 pages back before you started seeing any threads that haven't been responded to in a week. Now, by page 6, there are already threads that haven't been responded to in over two weeks, and it just looks completely dead. So even while getting rid of the supposed spam, it's clear that the JCC overall isn't getting the traffic it used to. Because even in the Fun and Games section, those threads have slowed down significantly compared to when they were in the Community section. You guys got what you voted for. But it's become dull and boring as a result.

I probably would have spoken up when these changes were initially proposed. But I was unable to at the time because I'm such a favored user here that a mod decided I needed yet another, how shall I say, break, from the forum, this time for an extended period, due to a different circumstance unrelated to anything going on in the JCC. And I hadn't really looked much into the changes until recently. And just trying to be active in the JCC again, like I said, just feels kind of lackluster now.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Your girl got banned for posting Melania Trump's knockers. That's probably what you are pining for.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Hah! That's awesome. She's definitely become quite a favorite among all of you as well.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    this is not a metric that anybody uses when they are deciding what threads to post in

edit, like if activity didn’t even go past one page then maybe you would have a point

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Guidman likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It's not a metric I use to decide which threads to post in either. But it is certainly a metric for the amount of activity that is happening overall.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I wonder how lame you think every single other thread is here since most of them go back months or dare I say, years by page four.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bacon164 like this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The JCC is its own thing entirely. And my opinion on the current state of it doesn't reflect how I see any other area of the forum.

18. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    you’re just making up things to complain about

EHT likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I responded to his post.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    And that's a problem how?

I argue that's a benefit. A forum that is too active drowns out new threads, which drives newbies away. I've been on forums, where the first page (just one page) of a subforum could go back a whole week, and there was still plenty of consistent activity. Hell, there are subforums here on the JCF that are like that. When the first page goes back a while (maybe not several days, but definitely more than just a few hours), that means new threads have a fighting chance to survive. When the first page goes back one hour, most new threads are drowned out in a hurry.

I believe that Community should be split back up into its constituent parts, the way it was on the old IGN boards. Then that would slow things down even more and give new threads even more of a chance. Community survived just fine as separate forums in the IGN era, it can do so now.

But I'll probably be shot down on that idea, so whatever. At least the spam is no longer responsible for drowning out the new stuff.

Bacon164 likes this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The JCC always seemed like its own separate forum within the broader JCF. I get your point about new posts not getting lost so easily, but I always just figured the rapid pace of activity was just a part of the JCC. And I don't necessarily expect that in other areas of the forum, so I wouldn't apply the same thinking I have now in regards to the JCC to anywhere else.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What exactly are you out to achieve here?

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just raise those points about it now that I've been more active there since the changes were made.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @MotivateR5D4
    I disagree with the notion that when the threads with most traffic becomes useless, people stop posting altogether.
    I kind of like hanging out in here. With time you get to understand some little details of the personality of each poster and it's fun to see how they interact.
    If all the current threads suddenly became unavailable, new interesting threads would be created to fill the void. The people around don't change so quickly. If you like to talk about NBA with your uncle, you don't just throw him away when the season ends. Other stuff to discuss will always come up, and here it's pretty much the same.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I just think the old structure facilitated a lot more traffic with everything being in one place, and resulted in more people being involved in threads that they might not otherwise have been so involved in.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.