main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That was such a dumb way of doing it though. All the other media needed to account for the stuff shown on screen, but because of that the screen stuff could just change things on a whim and throw all the other stuff out of wack. See: Trying to straighten out the Clone Wars timeline between the multimedia project and the show.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That’s why I’m saying they should have done separate universes for TCW and everything else.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    We might ask ourselves if it's ok for historical events to conflict in a fantasy-fiction galaxy. Is it better that some historical events conflict rather than all the historical events neatly fitting together with no contradiction? I would argue it's better to have some contradiction. Once you accept that there can be contradictions, where in the galactic timeline are the contradictions most likely to occur? Where would we see a greater amount of contradictions? The part of the timeline with the most stories is where the most contradictions are likely to occur. Then, why do some parts of the timeline have more stories than others? Certain parts of the timeline might have greater importance for the overall arc of history in the fictional galaxy. So, we are introduced to Luke and Leia in Episode IV and learn how they eventually unmask their father. Then we actually meet their father at the end of Episode VI and in the Prequels. We also learn about the Jedi, Sith, the droids, and many other groups along the way. Who recorded these events? Why did they need to be recorded? If the stories were orally transmitted, would it be impossible to communicate these stories without contradictions? And finally, why did the historical events need to be communicated to other galaxies? Folklore and myths have fantasy built in but there is usually a deeper grain of truth that culture bearers recognize should be passed on to future generations. We preserve the myth but the specific historical facts that comprise the myth may change over time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    My ideal scenario would be having the films and the EU as separate universes, like Marvel, with both influencing each other. We actually have that right now with SWTOR; a few NuCanon concepts have been brought over (crossguard sabers, rathtars). I would love to see more of that, just on a bigger scale.

Edit:
    To add a little, I don't think it's hard for the EU to be accepted by fans if it's used the right way. I'm pretty involved in the Instagram SW community at this point. Most people there don't know anything about the EU, yet everyone understands the premise of SWTOR. It's a surprisingly popular era. I think the Old Republic era, and in the opposite direction, the Legacy era, are far enough removed from the films to be accepted by more general audiences. These stories get to rely far less on mountains of novels, unlike anything from the film eras.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To the end of Legends I found it increasingly hard to introduce people to it.

You end up having to start with X-wing, Thrawn or Dark Empire, and those were very old entries in the Saga by the end.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I would normally suggest to friends and family interested in reading Star Wars was to read the X-Wing series (since is among the best series in legends). If by the end of it, they would like to read more I would suggest more, but unfortunately, a small percentage of them would be interested in continuing reading Star Wars.

One friend even said, he didn't saw Sequel Trilogy, because for him the story ended in the Return of the Jedi. So why would he bother to read the stories of Luke and Leia and Han? They lived happily ever after. When he learned about what the Last Jedi did to Luke, he laughed then and still laughing to this day. and me angry for not listening to him.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean.

People are going to be critical of these characters no matter what. For them, the ending is the perfection.

It's not especially realistic for me, personally, which is why I end up consuming franchises that appear endless.

I can only imagine how your friend would have reacted to Dark Empire, or Sacrifice, or the end of Fate of the Jedi, let alone Crucible.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    We didn't. He is probably the only friend I got that hasn't read any piece of Star Wars literature, not even comics. For computer games, he played Kotor I and II and TOR. Anything that is computer game that is pre-Original Trilogy, he has already played, but he is more of FIFA and PES and FM (Football Manager) kind of guy.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Makes sense - KotoR/ToR has this massive wellspring of support and love, and ToR seems determined to tap into it, especially Revan-wise.

My father is a FM addict, but he dips into Halo. By dip, I mean he buys the latest console and latest game and never plays them.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  10. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Your father and I sound alike. :) But I'm vowing to make PS5 different.

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm not done with PS4 yet, only had a new game delivered yesterday!

PS5 I will jump to for FFXVI.

12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I have had a similar experience when I talk with other fans in person. I have managed to get other people interested in Star Wars 2013, the Goodwin / Williamson newspaperstrips, Tales of the Jedi, Legacy era, Old Republic, and Dawn of the Jedi. I don't need to convince anyone about Knights of the Old Republic.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think one thing that's interesting is that LEGENDS can mean different things to different people.

I feel like to many LEGENDS is mainly referent to the Post Endor era...While things like KOTOR and SWOTOR are separate entities entirely hence their popularity.

Like it would be easier to get people to enjoy KOTOR as it's own thing.

EU material set during the movies feel more like just adventures set during the movies and not part of something called "Legends"

So i think it's important to distinguish what people think of when they think of Legends since Legends as itself really only refers to material not made pre 2012, but to the fan mind it can mean many things in discussion.

But if you wanna introduce people to the Post Endor era...Honestly I feel like X-Wing Thrown or Dark Empire are really the only starting points ...Like I don't know how well the first NJO books are a jumping on point given I've never read it...But if I started someone with the first Post NJO comic I think they'll be very lost.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I feel as if YJK is an almost necessary start point for NJO just to introduce the Solo children, but without JJK you will struggle with Tahiri, Ikrit and so forth turning up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I got my real start into the post Endor with YJK, it defenetly works as a beginning.

godisawesome and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Same here; I plomped down right in the middle of the first story arc with the Second Imperium in Lightsabers. Not a bad book to start with for a twelve year old...

When it comes to how LFL should approach its material going forward, I'm a fan of making it so that the books and comics can publish "Tales" material - neither canon nor non-canon, but ambiguously canon.

Think like the old Legends of the Dark Knight comic: maybe it happened that way, maybe it didn't, it could have, but it doesn't have to, etc.

Let LFL personnel be completely ambitious and and shoot for the stars, making stuff that could be ignored, used as strong inspiration, or just straight up adapted. Don't shy away from cool ideas just because the movies may override them eventually, but don't totally divorce them from canon either. Don't be afraid to let someone write a story that feels "too big" or too fan-pleasing; if its worth keeping, keep it!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

See I don't think you can when your market everything as "It all counts" most people won't go for that and at this point I think we're sticking with the hierarchy of Movies, TV shows, games, books and comics.

And this is why post Endor era is both my least favorite era but also probably the hardest to crack...The starting off points are so far back that no wonder it gets confusing after a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Connecting to a Bantam era novel is increasingly hard, indeed.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I can see that...Outside of The Thrawn Trilogy (And I'm gonna assume the X-Wing novels) I hear from many that those books are starting to show there age. In more ways than one.

Bel505 likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish everything that’s Canon to the 2014-present universe was labled as such so that we don’t have to debate if obscure reference books are Canon.

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.