main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Fair enough, there have been some small flubs, and there is an expectation that everything should fit within the framework of the films and the TV series.
    There is still the sense that the Reboot got rid of the tier system of canon, the Story Group's job is to avoid any mistakes and at least try to handwave them away when they appear.

Jango is never referred to as a Mandalorian in the films, the EU established that his armor is Mandalorian in origin and assumed that meant he was a Mandalorian.
    Lucas said no, the old EU shrugged and said the New Mandalorians didn't consider him one, the New EU seems to be airing on Lucas's side of things just based on the few references to his origins we do have so far.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    As someone who has only watched Clone Wars once and has never seen Rebels, I enjoyed this episode as I was learning something new. That is why I love this show. I feel that I am learning more about the lore and the GFFA, just like the PT. For me, that is where the ST tripped up - it never gave the fans anything new to learn unless you read the supplementary material.

3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Yes, but they haven't told how Jango ended up in the Mandalorian armor in the movies, the Clone War or in anything in Disney canon as yet. Till they tell us this in a story, which Age of Republic didn't, there's no canon content to contradict on the subject yet.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Din doesn't seem to realize he's a child of The Watch. He responds "The Watch?". He's had no contact with other Mandalorians outside of his own clan, who have indoctrinated him on very strict rules.
    Axe Woves says "He's one of them" almost with contempt and derision; perhaps because The Watch is so extreme that Axe has had serious conflicts with some of their members. We witness how fast conflict can escalate when Mando immediately challenges on how they got their armor, like they can't possibly have the right to wear it.

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I think that given what we learned about Mandalorians in this show, particularly in Chapter 11, Jango's (and by extension Boba's) status as a Mandalorian is still up in the air until we are expressly told otherwise. We know that at least one Mandalorian leader did not consider Jango one of them but it seems that Mandalorians don't even agree on what constitutes a Mandalorian.

Personally I think that Boba Fett at some point adopted the Mandalorian creed but it remains to be seen if he was truly a Mandalorian or if he even still considers himself a Mandalorian if he ever was.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I know they haven't given us his canon backstory yet, I just mean that the sources we do have seem to imply that they are doing what they can to defer to Lucas for the time being.
    That can change in the future of course, to date Disney has been tip toeing around as much old EU stuff as possible, with the exception of the ST and the multi media project that surrounds it their policy seems to be salvage whatever you can from legends as long as it doesn't hinder the story you are trying to tell.
    We have background material and Filoni stating Jango isn't a Mando, we don't have anything in canon to say he is, and unless Boba appears in this show again it's likely to be a while before anyone gets the nerve to actively create a story designed to address the two competing claims.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Until we hear otherwise I am assuming Boba and Jango are not Mando.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is incorrect. There is only one canon and everything (movies, TV shows, comics, books, etc.) are on the same level since the canon reboot.

9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really think Bo needs to sit Din down and tell him what's what with Mandalorian history.

10. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I enjoyed the last episode and was happy to see Bo-Katan in live action. I'm not really a fan of Asokah so when Bo-Katan told him to take baby Yoda to find her, I basically went :rolleyes:. She freely admits she isn't a Jedi, so I hope that she lets Djin know that.

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Its semantics, she's a Jedi in all but name

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    She's also somewhat weirdly become one of the strongest positive legacies of Anakin in the franchise, and has the potential to be the longest lasting, sadly.

13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Ahsoka. Ahsoka. Practice it. Learn it.

Darth Smurf and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which would be fine if Filoni had kept her tragic eg she's Darth Talon for example but as Miss Perfect... not so much

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The fact that it can be read a few different ways -- and even on the first viewing I was attuned to those nuances -- bodes really well for some subtle character development in the portrayals of both Bo and Din. And the acting is on point. I honestly saw it as a watershed moment for Star Wars in terms of getting some IRL shades of sociopolitical grey in there without breaking the broad action-fantasy worldbuilding. Yes, it stands on the shoulders of attempts by both Lucas and Filoni to do that kind of thing, in the PT, TCW and Rebels, but most of those, to my tastes, landed with mild thuds and tended to take me out of the world at least a little bit. The two scenes with Bo and Din nailed it. It was, to me, probably the most exciting thing about the episode and the potential for the show going forward.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    It seems now there's a dispute on the term Mandalorian between them. It seems the indigenous ones look down in a sense on the Watch. As for Jango who knows now? It seems w/this show we've got a whole new aspect so at some point Canon will have to explain that.

RetropME likes this.
  17. Leia's Twin

Leia's Twin Jedi Knight

May 19, 2016
    I have to say I have seen Rebels, but not Clone Wars, so I felt a little out of synch.

RetropME and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The weird/good thing about rewatching TCW is that it's arc-based plotlines mean you could just watch a small selection of episodes to get everything you need on the Mandalorian side of things... or the Maul things... or whatever.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  19. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I watched Rebels without watching The Clone Wars, it was a lot of fun. But once I watched TCW, the huge Rebels episodes were very, very good. I can't imagine Star Wars not including TCW.

20. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I've been sick for the last week so you will forgive me my misstep.[face_batting]

True..I just find her really annoying. Too perfect. No offence to Ahsoka fans. [face_dunno]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    DurararaFTW likes this.
  21. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    Din isn’t clanless any longer and Bo would’ve been able to see that by the Mudhorn signet on his right shoulder. Given that there are merely two in Din’s clan and it was just created it is obvious Bo Katan would never have heard of it, but I doubt that means much. After all, there are likely thousands of clans and even the ruler of Mandalore wouldn’t know them all. Now the Houses that the clans feed into are a different story. There are far fewer of those, or so it seems from the existing canon of which I am aware, so they’d all be known to any knowledgeable Mando.

22. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Another excellent episode for me, even though I didn't get to watch it till Saturday night because my brother decided he'd rather spend his time hanging out with his friends instead:rolleyes:. General thoughts that come to mind:
    -I was completely caught off guard by the opening gag where the ship lurches into the seas at the last second after making it through the "hard" parts of the landing sequence. You got me show, bravo on that one=D=. I also liked seeing the iconic All-Terrain Walker design deployed for peacetime activities.
    -I'm glad they resolved the Frog Family story quickly and peacefully. The complications were in getting to the planet in the last episode. Now that we've made it, mission accomplished, good job, on to the next. No need to invent some sudden unforeseen issue like the husband has gone missing or some nonsense like that, which it seems like a lot of modern shows love to do.
    -I absolutely love the subtle world building of Quarren and Mon Cal living in the same settlement together without any indication of racial tension between them. (I assume even if it wasn't a deliberate statement the history between the two was at least known and considered when they made the choice to show them living together peacefully.)
    -The highlight of the episode was him finally meeting other Mandalorians(BO-KATAN!!) only for them to have the audacity to take their helmets off so casually and the drama that ensued. He thinks it's another Cobb Vanth situation and Bo-Katan is just like "Excuse me?? You're calling me a fake when exactly one of us was actually born on Mandalore, and it ain't you pal! But it's ok, I know you don't know any better because you're just a brainwashed member of a cult. It's a bummer but it can't be helped." "I am not!" "That's exactly what a brainwashed member of a cult would say."
    -I'm glad they finally addressed the helmet situation so we can stop spending time debating whether the writers of this show just completely forgot that all the previous material on the matter existed when they came up with one of major premises of the plot. :rolleyes:
    -I think people are overreacting to the existence of a "monster" in this episode just because it's become a talking point. It was fought off-screen by someone other than Din for like 30 seconds and wasn't the main basis of the episode at all. This is Star Wars. If you're bothered by fantastic and dangerous creatures appearing regularly even in a minor role then you're going to be in store for a lot of disappointment. I mean, just in the Lucas movies you have the planet core beasts, the Geonosis Arena beasts, the dianoga, the wampa, the space worm and the sarlacc. It's a dangerous galaxy out there and that's part of the adventure.
    -I never thought I'd see the day that a Gozanti cruiser made a prominent appearance in live action Star Wars
    -There was never any sense of danger posed by the stormtroopers during the attack which is starting to become a frustrating pattern but in this particular battle I think that's somewhat the point. I definitely liked the line about how "there's at least 10 of them" as the life form readings show the actual 4.
    -My biggest let down was at the end when they actually got into a sticky situation where they're like "oh no, they have heavy blasters so we can't just go out there and risk getting shot." and the resolution is...Din just goes out there and gets shot several times and he's totally fine. Yeah he at least gets knocked down so that's something, but he doesn't appear to suffer any lasting damage so it's hard to buy that he was really in danger. The Beskar is supposed to be a special rare armor material and that's why it's so valuable, I get that, but it doesn't make you invincible in a firefight. It can stop small arms fire, and heavier rounds at a substantial enough distance is what the show has previously established. That's fair enough. But the whole point of his actions allegedly being brave is that this was heavy fire at a pretty close range. It's not like he had some brilliant plan to get out of that situation unscathed, he just sat there and took it. I hope he at least has bruises or something next episode but I fear they won't address it.
    -Oh yeah, Ahsoka is his next destination. Not my favorite character if we're being honest, but should definitely be interesting to see her react to a "Baby Yoda" and a Mandalorian who thinks he's meeting a Jedi when as far as Ashoka is concerned he's not.
    -We now have "Deliver the child to the Jedi" and "restore Mandalore to its former glory" as the big overarching plots for the show, and I'm curious to see which order they intend to resolve them and how that lines up with the number of seasons they intend to give this series.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    There’s no dispute on the “term” Mandalorian. Bo-Katan and her crew recognize that Din is a Mandalorian. They just recognize that he’s part of a weird Mandalorian cult that broke away from mainstream Mandalorian society. That was spelled out in the dialogue. Nobody questioned his right to call himself a Mandalorian.

24. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    I've had this profile pic since I registered, and this last episode made me log in after three years.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I mean you may be correct but I think my assertation of it was more on point but i guess i could be wrong. I never thought the books comics video games and Lego specials were as canon as the movies. didn't the Ashoka Tano book contradict things in the Clone Wars last season on Disney+ and other books and comics have contradicted things in the TV and movies even if just slightly. i mean Lucasfilm has historians but there human there gonna mess up from time to time so they put more of an onus on how much the canon counts in the movies then TV then Comics then video games then Lego specials. i mean I don't know if even Lucasfilm said this it just seems logical. plus in the movie novels deleted scenes that were in the books but not the movies how are these deleted scenes canon? like in TROS Novel they mention Palpatine is a clone but it wasn't in the movie. and all that stuff about Jakku being pivotal to the ST movies with the Empire and First Order in The Aftermath Trilogy but none of it was in the movies not a hint. was all that canon?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020