main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2020 / November Word Race! - Ready ... Set ... WRITE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Oct 20, 2020.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Small steps are good steps right?

Current total is 1639. Muse decided that with sick kid and my own sinuses going out in sympathy that now was an awesome time for a holiday. Ugh.

2. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @Kit' Hope you both feel better soon! [:D]

Okay, I have to ask. Don't feel obligated to answer or respond at all if you don't want to, but are you anywhere near Asbury Park? [face_batting]

Congrats to everyone who's made progress! Whether it's a lot or a little it's still something that wasn't there before, and that's always awesome. :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @amidalachick I'm about forty-five minutes away from Asbury Park:)

I hadn't been to the shore at all this year, so it was nice to finally be able to go for a walk there.

4. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @devilinthedetails Oh, nice! My friend and I spend a lot of time at the beach and boardwalk when we visit, I love it there. [face_love] Being in Springsteen country is the cherry on top! [face_laugh]

Glad you were able to make it to the shore and spend time with your dad! :)

5. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Reading the above comments really makes me miss the Outer Banks... :(

In the meantime, another 300 words. Which doesn't sound like much, but it got another WIP into the "finished draft" phase and awaiting editing, so I'm happy. On to the next....

6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, one-third of the month is done. I'm currently 117 pages in, probably ~23,000 words. On pace, but not quite where I would like to be.

7. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Got a decent chunk written last night (or rather, this morning [face_whistling]), so now I'm up to 4,563. Still on track to make my goal, what even is this feeling? :p

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    All right, I got 1054 words fixing that story I didn't like and turning it into "I'm a Believer," which brings me to 1526 words, just over half my goal. Not bad!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Adding 1345 with my recent drabble post, my total is now 2086!

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Mira, it really means a lot to me. [:D] I’ll do the best I can, goalwise; it really isn’t so much of a “muse” issue as one of having the time and energy and not being totally worn out at the end of the day. (And to answer your question, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , I am indeed still working full time from home with a family also stuck at home, so in a way I’ve been busier than ever since the pandemic hit. I do feel very fortunate that I can work, but it’s not easy under the circumstances.)

In any case, after poking away at it bit by bit over this week, I’m now up to 2118. It really is all about the small steps! :)

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman, that's great progress!=D= Just keep chipping away. That's the most important thing. Chipping away whenever you can find the free time whenever you can in this chaotic era of pandemic.

As for me, I didn't get much chance to write this week until this morning. This morning, I got a boost of productivity and wrote 2,510 words, which means I have met and exceeded my goal of 5,000 words.

I plan to keep on writing as much as I can this November, though I imagine I'll end up tapering off a bit again around American Thanksgiving.

But I do think just having this target of a word goal I was working to achieve really helped give me a motivation to write. Sometimes just having that target can be a great incentive to creativity.

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    After one of those 'mega week from the 9 sith hells', I've actually managed to complete the OC Winter challenge (just trying to decide on a title at the moment)...

Brings my whole total up to 3475 words

13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    808 adding in my NSWFF ficlet thread. New total is 2894!

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Progress list has been updated and I think I went back far enough. Let us know if anyone was missed.

As for me, I have been reminded why I don't write long-fics anymore. My muse kida got distracted. It's also been a week where I'm trying to fight off a bit of a funk. My brain just wanted some non-fiction stuff so I wrote some non-fanfic related things... but I'm still counting it as words. Then today, a rabid West Wing holiday vignette bit out of nowhere and I just had to start writing it and got like half way done. Anyway so I'm up to 8836.

Kinda proud that I'm on track but I feel my muse kinda tapering off. And I'm annoyed that my muse cant stay with a fic that's more than 5000 words. I'm not going to abandon this Schitt's Creek fic but I don't think it's getting done anytime soon.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  15. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    I haven't written a word since the beginning of the month and I've basically given up. But November's not over, and I haven't tried my 'drink large quantities of alcohol' strategy yet, so I guess it's possible that maybe there's still a bit of hope. :p

In all seriousness, though, I'm happy for all of you who have achieved your goals, or are making progress and continuing to work on your goals! Way to go! You should all be proud. =D=

16. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    1095 words.

I am beginning to think that my goal for this month might have been a tad bit too ambitious. If I had gone with the much more modest 1000 words I considered, I would have already won.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  17. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    An additional 245 words since last Tuesday, but the result is two stories finished (and posted!) and progress on two more, one of which just needs some clean-up work and a few sentences to tie everything together. I might even get to finish the second set of Halloween Challenge prompts I requested. (If I finish that, I wonder if I can get a third set...?)

Total of 945 words so far this month, but really the point of this was to get short stores finished, not write a novel, so I'm satisfied with my progress. And happy to see so many other writers doing so well!

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Add another 981 to my tally (another recent post in my multifandom NSWFF thread) and that brings me to 3067!

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The index has been updated! :D

It's great to see so many of you guys still going strong. And, even if you aren't where you'd like to be with your totals, there's still almost half of the month to go. Let's see what your muses can do! Keep up the mighty fine work, all! [face_dancing]

As for myself, I had a bit of a crazy RL week and my progress took a hit. But I did manage to write another three thousand words or so, bringing my total up to 9,340 words. Mostly all on my OTP challenge WIP. My muse is smitten, it seems. Which I'm not going to complain about if that means getting words typed onscreen. :p

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful work, everyone! Keep it up! :)

So, having finished and posted my OTP challenge thing at last, I'm now at 2526. Maybe 5000 won't be impossible after all; just have to see how the rest of the month goes, I guess!

21. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    It's great seeing everyone's progress! I can't believe we're already over halfway through November. My kids went back to e-learning last week, so a lot of my energy has been taken up with that. Somehow I managed to get up to 7,160, although that's thanks mostly to a plot bunny that bit me when I was supposed to be working on the man-eating time travel fic. Apparently I write AUs of my AUs now. o_O:p

22. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    I WROTE WORDS! :D Only 134 words on two random little ficlets instead of the things I wanted to work on, but after these past couple weeks of nothing I'll take it. I think my total word count is 594 now. I know it's not much and it's a silly thing to get so excited about but I'm just so thankful the muse isn't completely gone!

And yay for everyone's progress! It's so inspiring to see so much creativity happening. [face_love]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @amidalachick That is absolutely something to celebrate! Up until this summer, I went over 2 years without writing a single word, so the fact that your muse isn't completely gone is huge. It will come back full force one of these days, but until then, any progress is still progress! =D=

24. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Yay! Words written and muse checking in, yesyesyes.:)

2,428 out of 6k goal for the race, which involves revisiting a story I'd swept under the rug seven years ago. Upon rereading the humongous file of notes, note to self: you are a wordy so and so and the story needs to span a few days, not a few months. Also, prune the characters that you had in the mind's eye visually, but not how they'd fit seamlessly into the story ... [face_shhh]

25. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yay! I wrote 500 words on a WIP for a total of 2026 words!