main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mando Armor/Gadget Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by godisawesome , Nov 19, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Didn’t see a specific thread for armor types or gadgets, and though it might be fun to make it.

Discuss details or patterns you like, your favorite gadgets or armors so far, and what armor or gadgets you want to see going forward from previous Star Wars material.

For example:

Favorite gadget so far: the Whistling Birds. They’re way too cool, and the mix of the “one shot weapon” aspect with the “Melee Missle Massacre” aspect is awesome.

Favorite armor so far: Din’s “Shiny” Beskar. Predictable, I know, but it is fun to compare Din’s armor to the Fett style armor it’s derivative of, to see how they modified it to create a more “heroic build” with broader shoulders and a more vaguely “muscular” chestpiece.

Favorite gadget I want to see in the show: the wrist-mounted ray shield from TCW. It may seem redundant considering how the show is portraying Beskar, but I like the look of it and the implication that there are somethings that even Mando’s want to bolster their normally formidable defenses against... or smash someone in the face with.

Favorite armor I want to see in the show: Fenn Rau’s Protector Armor. I think the Imperial Siper Commando armor is sleeker, but I’m curious to see what modification, textures, and possible changes they might make to one of the more unique and “pimped out” armor designs.

2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I really like Mando's disruptor rifle. Disruptors have been an infamous weapon for awhile in SW, and I think they made it appropriately savage the way it vaporizes dudes.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I like his little rocket gadget. But the fact that he uses it to get out of every situation where he is outnumbered is going to get old fast. I can understand how it's an effective weapon that his enemies don't see coming, so it would make sense for him in universe to continue to use it. But as a viewer, those scenes are hardly tense anymore because you know he is just going to use it (like that scene in S2Ep1).

The Beskar is cool because of it's significance to the Mandalorian way, and how it must be earned in order to have the armor forged. But similar to the rocket gadget, if it just becomes this means by which he can never be vulnerable or weakened, that too can take away any sense of him being in real danger if they constantly rely on it whenever he gets in a fight.

Sarge and clone commander bossk like this.
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually love the way they made the prongs from the Holiday Special a shock bayonet; it beats the electro staff design they tried for that boss in the port of the Force Unleashed look a little foolish in hindsight.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm still kind of processing seeing female Mando armor in live action. Bo's looks great. And the appearance of those pistols, and the yellow blaster bolts. Stuff like that makes me have to watch an episode a second time just to set in my mind that it really happened.

Which is kind of funny... I hate fanservice, except when I don't.

6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I love this thread.

Do you guys think Din's going to pain his armor?

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    All they have to do to add some tension to the jet pack is show him refueling it from time to time just casually in the lead up to a scenario where he needs to use it extensively for a while and part of the plot is that he’s low on what fuels it. Doesn’t have to be a huge factor and I’m not suggesting they make it a big thing consistently but at some point it could make some sense to establish that it does have some limitations and maintenance to it.

8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    My little pet theory is that Din will eventually become a KOTOR-style Mandalore warlord with his own clan, so my guess would be yes, he'll put some colors/emblems on his armor. Also it makes sense from a marketing/production angle, they'll do something to freshen up his look after a few seasons.

9. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    I imagine there will be clan mudhorn makings at some point.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    There's a possibility he will in my opinion.

To me, it comes down to whether they want to do that to tell a story or not; his first armor, his shiny armor, his sigil, and his jetpack all carry some storytelling element as he moves forward.

A paint job, being more of a purely aesthetic choice, strikes me as something that might have a similar function to the sigil: it would mark a change in Mando's overall mission and goal. I suspect it would happen after he's finally gotten exposure to all Mandalorian philosophies, and maybe be after he's discharged his duty with the Child. I don't think he'll change it this season - I'm betting on a cliffhanger where, if anything, Din may lose his armor.

...Also, I notice you've got Pre's Season 4 armor in your avatar. You want to see his cool horned helmet in the show?

11. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah,it'd be cool to see a comms like attachment in the show. I'd really love to see Din meet a deathwath remnant.

12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I'll confess even just the design of his face-plate intrigues me - the broader vertical "cheek pieces" and the angular ends to the lens resembles the fancy Protector helmet of Fenn Rau's second suit, as does the round ear-pieces (though to a lesser extent.)

I had a pet theory for a while that Pre and Rau's helmet belonged to the same armor design, even if they didn't really align.

Though personally, I'd also love to see some version on the old Legends helmet design, with the "evil eyebrow" horns.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  13. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I hope Mando gets a new paint job or some new armour. I'm tired of the all silver look....

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, the show makes it clear that he doesn’t have an endless supply of the whistling birds. So he can only use it sparingly. In season 1, episode 3, for example, he only uses it once on the stormtroopers. And then he has to use a bunch of other weapons to take out the bounty hunters.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    we still haven't seen Din launch his JT-12 rocket. I wonder if they're waiting for an epic action sequence to show it.

16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    My favourite weapon is the disruptor but the flame-thrower is proving it's worth.

The whistling birds are cool. Hope they don't get overused every time he's outnumbered.

I thought one of the most thrilling moments of late was when Mando runs off the cliff where the Imperial base is stationed and ignited the jetpack after jumping (or close to). The camera followed so closely it captures a bit of the vertigo feeling when flying. I hope we see more jetpack action that captures the Rocketman-like joy of literally flying!

Din has yet to have a range-finder IIRC?

17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm fine with it up until now. But I did find that scene in S2Ep1 to not really be all that tense simply because you knew right away he was going to use that weapon. And all I'm saying is that if they continue to use it whenever he is outnumbered, it's going to get old fast, and could actually result in it seeming more like a running gag than a serious use of his gadgets (which it kind of already half was with the way Baby Yoda hid from it the second Mando motioned he was going use it).

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Depends on the intention of the scene. I got the sense that Favreau wanted to communicate to the audience, in that moment, that Din was going to demolish those guys. So you’re supposed to think “OK, they’re done” rather than be too worried about Din’s chances. That’s how I read it. And I imagine if there are scenes where we are supposed to be super worried about Din’s chances, we won’t see the whistling birds. Or the whistling birds will be a drop in the bucket against a more overwhelming number of foes.
    Or have it run out of fuel, or almost run out of fuel, at some point.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I preferred his original beat up armor before he got the upgrades!

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly, I don't think he's done with the armor customization - maybe a nice "Baby Yoda Green" paintjob or something might be coming in the future, once he recognizes that he is going to keep the Child rather than turn him over to a Sorcerer.

21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I suspect Din’s shiny suit’s going to end up getting pretty beat up when we reach the “hopefully inevitable and well-executed) “Second Act Defeat.”

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've noticed his flamethrower run out of juice at least once, so it's good to know that his gadgets have some limitations.

Nobody has mentioned his Spidey-web shooter yet. He's made good use of that one quite a few times, most memorably in ep 1 when he hauled half a thug away from the recently-closed blast door.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I like it, and he used it in Season's 2's opening.

What do you think of the "energy-wire" version that showed up in Rebels on Sabine's Anti-Force User vambraces? I think the implication was that they had the energy wire mostly just so if it got cut, you could use a regenerated wire afterwards... but it could have the shock feature as well.

Might be a good upgrade to use against Gideon...

24. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It's also a good non-Force way to retrieve a weapon.

25. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    At some point I think he's going to lose all his armor, including the helmet so they can have Din confront the idea of his own identity and the armor being a literal metaphor.

Kole, Jaxxon- and godisawesome like this.