main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mental Health Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I kind of knew it was coming. The upside is the department will be handled by the outsourcing company I worked for prior. So there’s a good possibility the outsourcing company will rehire me for this site.

solojones, Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Good luck

Master_Lok likes this.
  3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Damn, sorry to hear this.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks. The silver lining is the outsourcing company which took over our department is my former employer, so there’s a strong possibility I will be rehired to work for this firm.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Here's hoping it goes just that smoothly.

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'd say my life is going okay minus the pandemic and the usual factors, but I cannot help but feel a compulsion to lash out in anger right now. Hard to control the tremor in my arm

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Anxiety is strange. I suffer from it a lot, but it’s usually about useless crap. Getting a lot sue to finals now, which is a different feeling than being afraid that one day I might break a bone. This is one of the first times I have really gotten bad anxiety due to an actual real thing and not something I just mad up in my mind

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Does the election have you anxious @Jedi Knight Fett ? I know I've felt that way on some level pretty much constantly the last two months. Did you post enough threads to knock the "Biden Beats Trump" - The 2020 General Election Presidential Thread off the front page? It does feel good to have the election behind us. But it doesn't feel like it's done yet for me. I'm not liking that this isn't wrapped up. I just wish the political landscape was a little more sure 7 days after the election.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hello former election thread people.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So I am having a hell of an anxious morning. Woke up to a bunch of texts about my mom having to go to the ER for chest pains last night. Luckily her EKG and chest xray were fine, and they think it might have just been muscle spasms.

My issue is, it triggered me bigtime. My dad had a heart attack 7 years ago that almost killed him. My uncle had a heart attack earlier this year that did kill him.

So yeah... I took my last sick day as a mental health day, which my boss was very supportive of. I love her.

But I don't have any short term anxiety meds like benzos to calm me down. So I'm not quite sure what to do.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    This might be a naff suggestion, but meditation can take the edge off general anxiety, if you have the time and discipline. I struggle with doing it for long periods, but it can be effective.

Also, I know you have a brother, and he must be going through something similar - talking to him if he's available should stop you feeling so alone.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do cannabis-based products help your anxiety? If so that might be a short-term idea.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a cannabis card but have yet to be able to put it to use. My local dispensary has long lines I can't stand in because of my back... And the just CBD stuff does nothing for me.

I think my dad has some Xanax at their house. May ask to borrow one if this keeps up.

Yes my brother was up all night worrying about this because he is staying with my parents so he knew what was going on. I just woke up to a string of text messages about it. So at least I wasn't up worrying all night... But yeah my brother is gonna be asleep for a while since he was up all night. Same for my mom.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Found my old ativan bottle and still had a few pills, so I took one of those. Hopefully that helps. Gonna play some video games now...

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Excellent news - hope they help.

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Hope the video games help you relax too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I am feeling both helping. My mom is awake now and still in pain so I am gonna go see her.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hope she's at least feeling a little better.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    She had a nap but is still in pain.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @solojones Hope mom, you and your family are okay. [:D] I am sorry mom is in pain and you are having to deal with this now.

And hey! Company loyalty right? Nope.

No job after December 4th. [face_party]

Ye thinking out loud ramble on:

Of the 13-14 members of this department there are only four open jobs and I do not qualify for any of them. So I reached out to the Director of Recruiting at this outsourcing company to ask about my previous position (both sites are in limbo). He said something about possibly February for the site I loved working at. One of the staff I worked with there said they are working from home until April. Full time employment is required for benefits.

[face_plain]

Will be reapplying to Apple again early next week. If anyone knows how to be a wonderful or cranky customer it's me.[face_laugh]

Also, pondering returning to school to continue chipping away at my Bachelors Degree (which honestly is a crappy program but I am 15 classes away from graduating and have a 4.0 GPA.) So if I maintain that GPA and take at least two courses a semester, the university will pay for my last 25-30 credits. I am about 5-6 classes away from that, it's a great scholarship.

Plus, care taking my mom whom I adore.

It's a lot, and I am grateful mom and I are hanging in.

/Ramble off

I know I say this a lot, but I am very grateful for this forum. Seeing the support for each other is an awesome thing and if I help someone in the way that you have helped me (The laughs are huge), I would be delighted.

Obviously, I haven't read through the thread (only this last page), but I truly hope everyone is okay and in a good place. [:D]

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @Master_Lok [:D] for you back.

Good to hear about your academics. You're doing better grade-wise than me.

I'm sorry to hear about your job, wish I could say something more helpful. Hopefully your mom is okay and that your degree can take you places that you want to go.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So sorry about the job Master Lok.

My mom seems to be ok..her heart tests were fine. But she has pain from probably muscle strains.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad she seems to be OK. I've pulled chest muscles before through coughing when I've had a cold or flu. Quite painful. If the doctor didn't give her something to take for the pain she could try ibuprofen - that's what I normally use.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah she has been doing that but I think she might need a muscle relaxer too because she is still getting spasms.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Glad to hear mom's heart tests were fine.

Muscle strains: Did a number on my rib cage this spring and it's still not 100% right. I am stretching and that helps. Maybe some Icy Hot might help your mom? Hope mom finds some relief quickly and that you are okay too. Wishing her quick relief.

Job: Thanks. They warned me about termination back in July, but as mentioned, the entire department was laid off on 10/30 to the outsourcing company so it was the best outcome for me. Am grateful I was employed this long to help with bills, and too, so I can collect unemployment. If I ever put this job on a resume, I can reuse: Position eliminated due to reduction in force.

Anyway, filed for college Financial Aid and am waiting on my college admissions to see if I have reapply from scratch or if they had some kind of waivers due to Covid etc. I have been away for six semesters though so we'll see.

Tricky being mom's cheerleader, but very glad I am still home to be there when she needs me.

@Emperor Ferus Thank you very much. Hope your studies are going smoothly.

Hope everyone is okay. [:D]