main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Moff Gideon (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 27, 2019.

1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019

I was wondering if Gideon might try to inject the Midis at some point, and if he does, would he mutate into something weird? Seems the Mandalorian may lead us in some strange directions similar to the old EU, and I for one wouldn't mind.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    one of two things he's either already involved with Palpatine or he is doing his own thing and will soon be recruited by his old epmperor and together they make Snoke.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Just like Allegiant General Pryde operated outside of the Unknown Regions but was clearly not shocked when Sidious "suddenly" returned, Gideon may be... or not be aware that he is... serving from outside the UR.

4. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I don't think that Gideon will inject himself with anything directly. He seems far too cunning to potentially destroy his own body. I could envision him having an underling who volunteers to do this though. I suspect that at this stage the experiments the aftermath of any injection would be horrific. Honestly, I think it would make for some great suspense to see Mando being hunted down by a mutated Stormtrooper who has wildly unstable force abilities.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would love it if Gideon knows of Palpatine still being around

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    with Snoke it just makes sense, he's like Palpatine new Tarkin/Vader man.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I would love if the end of the series had a bunch of First Order Troopers storm Gideon's base an commandeer his research for their own mysterious purposes.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s if Gideon isn’t already apart of the FO.

CrazyOldJedi and DurararaFTW like this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he's already apart of the FO, only he has to be on the outside as he's the best man they have left.

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes, well I mentioned in the other thread I think its unlikely he's directly tied to Palpatine.
    It's possible he's a part of the First Order, though he seems more like a lone wolf at the moment.
    In any case I imagine such troops wouldn't actually be tied to the FO, but rather be Palpatines person garrison. So maybe Sith Troopers instead of Storm Troopers?[face_thinking]

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Possibly. Also I let’s say Gideon is working for Palpatine. I don’t think that base if it would have fallen into the new republic would have had info that was like hey look Palpatine’s alive!

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    These guys know what they are working towards - the mention of a 'New Era' by the Comms Officer sealed that for me.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. I am about 90% sure they are either working for the FO or are the FO.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But Gideon’s people might be referring to a new era of an Imperial revival, not necessarily the First Order. I think they are currently an Imperial remnant that may (or may not) get folded into the First Order or Final Order later. But I don’t think they’re First Order at this point in the show.

By the way, when does canon sage the establishment of the First Order?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think we know yet. Sometimes after the battle of Jakku. We know they have gone by the name of First order since 21 ABY which is 12 years after the show. However it’s obvious they had been going by FO for some time before 21 ABY, but that’s the earliest date we have.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We don't know when all we know is one day Snoke came and saved the fleet in unknown regions and guided them to safety and slowly helped rebuild the empire as the first order, i think they might be around but not as small forces.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus the first order was just the continuation of the empire so even if Gideon isn’t apart of the FO now he may be apart of Grand Admiral Sloane’s empire, which would eventually become the first order

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And even then the First Order didn't create Snoke...The Sith Eternal cult made Snoke...It's heavily implied in the TROS novel that General Pryde is a member of the Sith Eternal and not the First Order.

So my theory is this.

In Moff Gideon's ranks are a few (Or one) Sith Eternal Spy....Once Moff Gideon is taken out by the end, they'll take the research put it back to Exegol and that will advance whatever Palpatine is up too.

Then maybe the rest of Gideon' people are folded into the First Order.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Either way I think either Gideon is already apart of the first order or the Sith eternal. Or his group will be.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    At this stage in the narrative, much closer to RotJ than TFA, I just find it more interesting that there would be competing Imperial warlords (with Gideon, seemingly, being the most prominent among them to the best of our knowledge) that are all off doing their own thing. The First/Final Order stuff may be running in the background with Palpatine, sure, but at this stage in the game, and until the show states otherwise, I just see no reason to believe that Gideon is explicitly part of (or even aware of) Palpatine's plans.

Gideon is almost certainly going to die at the end of this series, and once that happens and his Imperial remnant is squashed, there will undoubtedly be a bunch of books and comics that connect the strings between his experiments and Palpatine's, between his remnant and the First/Final Order, etc. But I genuinely don't see any of that coming to light in The Mandalorian proper.

The Dark troopers, with their artificially generated Force sensitivity drawn from the Child's blood due to its high "M-Count" is going to be a sort of corruption and perversion of the Force. As in Lucas' films, the Jedi are able to transcend death and retain themselves by becoming one with the Force. The Sith twist and corrput that in their attempt to manipulate the Force and bend it to their whim, and that is their downfall; they cling to the physical, tangible world and are unwilling to let go. The Mandalorian, through Gideon's experiments, is going to explore that to some degree. Gideon, of course, isn't a Force user, but it now seems like he is fixated on it much like he is fixated on Mandalorian culture and their relics despite not being Mandalorian. And his Dark Troopers, a twisted monstrosity of midi-chlorians and, if I'm not mistaken, Beskar (the way the light hit them in that final shot, they seemed to have the same reflective properties as Din's armor), are going to enter the story next week as this horrific counterpoint to both Din and Ahsoka. A corruption of the Mandalorian creed that Din believes in, and a perversion of the Force on a physical level, in contrast Ahsoka's more nuanced, metaphysical current state that she now exists in now in which she is totally at peace with the Force.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Much, much more interesting for there to be a bunch of Imperial holdouts/ splinter groups five years after ROTJ, than just one cartoonish plan. And just last week, we heard Gideon clearly state “long live the Empire.” I think he’s trying to re-establish the Empire in its prior form, and is not part of the First Order planning, which was far more secretive. This guy’s still flexing muscle in the Outer Rim. He or members of his army May eventually find their way into the First Order tent, but hopefully, not yet. The world-building is way more interesting with multiple cells at this point. And given the depth we’re getting with Mando culture, I don’t see why Favreau and Filoni would flatten the world with a simple “all Imperials hip right into First Order planning” scenario.

whostheBossk and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I honestly would be a bit more interested in seeing another major Imperial Warlord opposed to Gideon at this point as well.

(My picked played by Charles Dance)

Otherwise if we are only dealing with one then why this one...what makes him important.

23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I agree with you gentleman's thinking 100%. To me, Gideon is a much more interesting villain if he wants to be an Emperor himself, if he's a true Empire believer, if he has enough autonomy to be a major threat in his own right and not merely some puppet that connects The Mandalorian neatly to the ST. I wouldn't mind the show connecting at some point, but a few seasons down the road, after we explore some different Imperial elements that build up the diversity of this world and make it larger than just First Order and hidden Sith Cultists.

One of the few things that made the First Order interesting to me was that they viewed the Empire as a failure and wanted to start over again in the Unknown Regions, but that, as the EU said, other Imperial Remnants stayed behind trying to reboot the Empire they admired. This way we have a chance to see a number of interesting Imperial Warlords and we have more narrative freedom than needing to fit right in to a predetermined story.

As for the Dark Troopers, according to others, those tend to be droids, but there's this other group called Shadow Troopers, a variant of clone troopers, that I personally would like to see, and I'd like to see them enhanced with midi shots. I think they could have success with the idea that some hosts can handle the midis, if genetically designed for them, or if the midis enhancement isn't too extreme, and those extreme enhancements would lead to failed mutations like Snoke. By the way, some of those failed mutations could be mildly successful, begetting monstrous characters for our heroes to combat.

Anyway, just what I'd like to see, a little bit of freedom during this period and not an immediate alignment with the ST.

EDIT: BTW, the competing warlords theme fits the whole wild west approach to the show, so that's another reason I prefer it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    bstnsx704 and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Competing warlords is so much better than every ex-Imperial in on one plan, that it almost goes without saying. That’s what was so great about Gideon knocking off The Client last season. Layers and layers of bad guyness. Realistic and interesting. I hope Favreau and Filoni continue with that.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he is his own thing, but he's slowly building torwards what will be the first order. I think these proto snoke clones are tied to Palpatine in someway.