main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What I do is not up to you." - Wonder Woman 1984

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s not about making more money off of HBOM in one month w/WW84, it’s about sacrificing some money from WW84 to get subscribers beyond that month and even making those who cancel after that into people with accounts they can market to to lure back with offers. It’s more valuable, longterm, that they be able to compete with Netflix, D+, Amazon & ATV+ with a larger subscriber base than make more money in Dec (though, obviously, they want to sacrifice as little as possible in the process).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Europe is also doing somewhat better than the USA at breaking the Winter wave of coronavirus, so the studio might be able to release the movie theatrically there in the coming months, earning some more money in the process.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, they’re definitely counting on overseas and post-Jan domestic revenue to offset some of the theatrical revenue lost by going to HBOM for a month.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I think it's several things. These franchises are going to have a backlog of movies that are all but ready, but people lose interest when you're not alerting them to its existence. I wasn't excited about Black Widow or Eternals, and time isn't helping that case.

They've also got a streaming service that isn't performing how they want it to. This will draw eyes towards the service, give people a taste of what they have on offer and the hope is that people will choose to stay with it.

There's also the DC angle where the Snyder Cut of Justice League is going up on the service next year. Centering the service as the home of DC content that people have familiarity with is probably key to that movie getting interest/subscriptions.

I also like the debut month as a thing because it gives people the space to watch it on their own time, for just the price of a subscription, and they don't have to risk their life by going to theaters and also don't have to shell out $30 to Disney on top of your subscription cost.

Also, my birthday is on Christmas Day so I get to watch a new DC movie on my b-day.

Win win win

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    An interesting detail I posted over in the movie discussion thread about this: apparently theater chains (or, at least, AMC) are on-board with the WW84 release on HBOM. Apparently, the reason they're allowing WB to break the theatrical exclusivity window contract for this is that theaters will be getting a higher % of the ticket sales. Actual numbers haven't been revealed yet.

Variety is pretty much confirming that WB expects to lose money on WW84, but, surprisingly, it's not just about expanding their subscriber base- they're seeing WW84 losing money as the price of an advertising campaign to make more people aware that HBO Max simply exists. Apparently, 70% of HBO's customer base has access to it for free but haven't signed up- in addition to people who pay for HBO Max and don't use it (...I feel attacked). So this is being seen as an effort to get people to both new sign ups, transfer over existing customers and convince people to start thinking of it as a go-to service in general.

The article also reveals that WB felt that delaying WW84 even further (since it was finished in 2018) for a traditional, fulltheatrical release would have made it seem "stale" by time it could be released, which was their main reason for wanting to put it out sooner rather than later. Pairing it as a sacrificial solution to the HBOM problem is what they arrived at.

Juliet316 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Subscribe and then immediately cancel. You'll get a month. It's only $15.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    HBO Max - come for the WW; stay for the JL

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It will have the reverse effect of seeing Wizard of Oz for the first time. Colorful, vibrant and hopeful and then suddenly monochromatic and about as joyful as the threat of a dog being killed by Mrs. Gulch.

grd4, Master_Lok, Yodaminch and 5 others like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is probably going to end up being one of the most pirated movies of all time starting at around 12:01 AM December which certainly will cut into domestic and international receipts. (Not some crummy cam bootleg, legit gigantic 4k webrip files) The fact that theatres are still closed internationally is not going to help either. It really depends on how important they think HBOMax is to their brand and US profits as they don't want to go Quibi (Nobody wants to go Quibi). Basically putting WW84 on there shows how crazy the streaming wars have gotten, they basically had to sacrifice one of their blockbusters on it. And clearly it was just to keep HBOMax afloat in the US considering they didn't do any streaming deal anywhere else on the planet.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  10. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Well, that's if HBO decides to join the other streaming services in 2020 instead of capping off at 1080p. Could be worse though. Could be Crave's 720p.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Crave hit 1080p finally! on some devices! Maybe!

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stop whining.

SuperWatto likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The answer is "very".

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    poster

[​IMG]

neon's not my thing. i didn't like the thor ragnarok poster, either. but gal looks brilliant in the armor.

15. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Social media reactions coming out:

there's people claiming it's Joker level good !!!!

Ghost likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Warner Brothers Canada posting that it'll be in theatres and Premium Video On Demand via Facebook. Reposting here cuz want it to be legally binding.

They'll probably take us to the cleaners (I'll blink for a second anything over 50 then get it anyway) but thank Christ on PVOD cuz, y'know theatres are damn closed across the entire country.

EDIT: also "The Witches" (which had a theatrical release date and then bailed) is hitting premium VOD on Dec 25th as well. Soooo yay..?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "virtual opening night," with WB's event. first scene of the film has been released:

nice effects. none of the claymation that showed up in the first WW, most notably on themyscira's beach.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And egg nog, and Ho-Ho's.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So, pretentious and boring

Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    hans zimmer's soundtrack has been released. here's the listing, i think you can preview clips from the embed:

whole thing is free to listen on spotify.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    To prep for watching the new movie tomorrow on HBO Max, I rewatched the original for the first time in awhile. I've always liked it; but the more I think about it, it could've ended without her having to fight Ares at all. I mean it was more of a deep, serious tone when she realizes that man's evil is it's own creation; not some comic book villain (or mythical Greek god for that matter). At least save the comic book stuff for the sequel.

23. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    As of today, WW84 scores a 59 on Metacritic--a huge drop from the original's 76. (But then again, the discrepancy may not be all that telling, as at least some of the latter's acclaim owes to it being a palate-cleanser after Snyder's flicks.)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    70% and certified fresh on RT. looking forward to watching in 4K today!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    That's awesome. Enjoy! I'm jealous. :p

Is WW84 available for digital purchase or do you have to have HBO Max?

Edit: how did you like the movie heels?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.