main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Carasynthia Dune (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She probably agrees, which is why she goes by just Cara.

BigAl6ft6, Darth_Diealot and RetropME like this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Makes me think of the really out there anime names like Alice Synthesis 30 and Aliceteria. Sword Art Online and ReCreators.

3. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Yeah, I must have just not noticed/ forgotten.

RetropME likes this.
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Her mom named her "Cara", then came the tattoos & black eyeliner & teenage angst! Carasynthia ahoy!

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "It was just a phase."

6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    So they're probably making that rumored Cara Dune show aren't they? That last scene with her in chapter 12 felt like a tease for it.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think such a show would collapse under the weight of Gina’s inability to do an essential thing: act. As a secondary muscle character, sure. Not a big deal. But to carry a show? No way. At least not yet.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

The Cara Dune show is bogus, it might been an idea at the time bust was tossed away, plus Gina's twitter feed probaly made sure that show never saw the light of day. I hope she's killed off soon.

9. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    That's a bit harsh. I'm not saying she's on par with Marlon Brando or anything, but we all know she's a professional fighter. I figure we can try and cut her some slack and remember that fact.

I'll flat out say that I don't care what she wrote on her Twitter feed at this point. That may change if she suddenly utters more extreme stuff, but I'm concentrating more on her chops within this show.

Darth_Diealot, Sarge and MrDarth0 like this.
  10. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I hope they keep her character in the show for the entire run. Her acting abilities may not be the best but she is a part of the show and I have no doubt will continue to play an important role.

Cancel culture and outrage culture both need to go away.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    She's great for furthering the New Republic side of the story. The conversation between her and Captain Teva ties in so much with the Resistance and their suspicions.

12. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I believe that was the pitch for her spinoff series.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt she ever gets one. I don’t see her leading a shoe

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You want to cancel them? Let's just cancel Gina instead. One of the show's few weak points, and easily replaced. And I mean easily.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That storyline is great. I agree. But that doesn’t have anything to do with how the character is acted. Which is why it’s frustrating to me. If she was just the heavy for a few action scenes, fine. But if she’s going to have such an interesting and emotionally-charged story connected to the New Republic, Alderaan, etc, we need that to be executed well. And she doesn’t seem up to the task. Hopefully she steps up. If not, I still agree that the character has a lot of potential, and so would be open to a GoT-style midstream recast. Those guys at least had the intestinal fortitude to understand when an actor wasn’t working in a role. Maybe Favreau will too, though I doubt it, as he seems like a nicer guy than B&W. And I like him for that. But I fear the NR storyline will suffer if Gina doesn’t bring some actual acting to the table.
    What does Gina being a professional fighter have to do with being a professional actor? There are millions of women out there that have dedicated their lives to acting, and they get passed over for someone with zero experience? And it shows? We’re not talking a naturally talented crossover from one field to another (like Icecube, for example, who was just a naturally good actor). We’re talking obviously and visibly bad acting. I honestly see it as pretty unfair to other actors.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  16. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    Nothing. That's the point.

They chose her for the role because they felt she would fit in addition to being an actual fighter. Whether that's a good choice or not is obviously up for debate, and I can see some folks here just can't get enough of displaying their misgivings about it CONSTANTLY. Free speech yadda yadda, but it gets tiresome.

The point is that it's unfair to judge her as a true actor when she's clearly not. And yes, it probably is unfair to many female actors around but it's not like this is the first time non-actors are cast for supporting roles is it? It's certainly not something i care about.

Now, do I wish she could act better? Hell yeah. Should they write her out of the show? Not sure yet, but they may be setting things up to keep all their options. Like at the end when the X-wing pilot leaves and her looking back. Yeah, there's some contemplation going on there on what to do. Maybe she decides to leave Navarro and join the Resistance, and thusly leave the show. Who knows.

Edit:
    I also feel that folks are taking into account her Twitter feed when judging her as an actor. I am not as that has nothing to do with this.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t care about her Twitter feed when it comes to her acting (I only care about it outside SW, because she’s promoted messages that have contributed to putting people I know at risk).

And I absolutely agree with you that she shouldn’t be judged as a true actor. Because she’s not. My point is simply that the role requires a true actor if it’s going to explore complicated subplots about her background and future with the Rebellion/ NR, respectively. But again, I’m open to her actually developing enough acting experience on the job to become capable of that. But if not, it’s probably best to either recast or write the character off the show. I’d personally prefer that she stay and improve, as I really like the potential of the character’s story, and would rather not deal with the fan whining about recasts (too much of that kind of butthurt during the GoT years).

Lastly, the only reason I’ve continued to post about the issue is because other posters defending Gina have continued posting. I’m actually pretty bored of the topic. Plus, I need to eat. I never eat enough after a Mando episode comes out and there’s so much to discuss. :)

18. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    I do mostly agree with you here. And I want to move on as well. I'm more interested in the technology and possible story routes anyway ;)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I wonder about the significance of the medallion the New Republic Captain bestowed to Cara. It could be a sign of respect, a passing down of sorts, or it could literally be a badge and she's now deputized by the New Republic.

20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    More so just a symbol of recruitment, I'd say. He sees what she's done for Navarro, and wants her to put her skills to use helping out the New Republic at large.

RetropME likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I see a new Republic story.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I saw it as the equivalent of a U.S. military “challenge coin.”

For those who don’t know, such coins are given to soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines “to confirm membership in an organization or group” or “honor a person for a special achievement.” Makes sense that the pilot would’ve given her a Rebellion insignia/ NR coin. Both to honor her service, and try to convince her to come back.

Sarge and bstnsx704 like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Yeah that's what I meant as a passing down of sorts.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. Just reinforcing your point. To me it seemed to clearly be inspired by a challenge coin.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    With the scene at the end, they've definitely given the character a "way out" if they do indeed ever want to part ways with the actor.

Alien Vanguard and Bor Mullet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.