main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Biden wins and I got comics today. [face_dancing]

X-Men 14 with awesome Apocalypse cover
    Marauders 14, Storm was given a tarot card of death, and on the cover she dances with Death of the original 4 horseman.
    Thor 9
    The Dreaming 4
    Batman 102
    Avengers 38
    John Walker USAgent 1, Marvel's over the top right winger.
    Deadpool 8
    Decorum 2,3,4 and 5. I forgot all about this scifi epic even though I praised the first issue.
    Origins 1, this is from BOOM! comics and takes place 1000 years in the future after humanity lost a war to A.I.
    Ok so there is Black Widow Widow's Sting 1, and then there is Black 3, so I am a tad confused. I guess there was a long hiatus for one and the other is new.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I finally caught up with the X of Swords crossover. Absolutely not what I expected; one of the best crossovers I think I've read in X-Men history,

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've got the X of Swords Omnibus preordered for just under £34, bargain.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You should cancel that pre-order, most of the time the swords aren't forming an X at all. Blatant false advertising.

Master_Lok, blackmyron and Gamiel like this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Black 3, either I have 2 issues sitting somewhere I forgot or else this slipped under my radar. BW's mind has been tampered with so she thinks she has a perfect family life and this was done to keep her out of the spy game while villains go about their villainy. According to another Widow, her son is real and hers.

BW Widow's Sting is a one shot, and I have no idea why it saw the light of day.

Origins shows us a female telling a story to a young child about how she found him in a ruined Earth in NY. She actually found a dead child and used an advanced tech to print him into a baby. They have a goal to upload his mind to fight the A.I. that destroyed humanity.

Decorum, yeah this is cool. It is a coming of age story of a young assassin in a galactic society which also features a coming war centered upon some sort of messiah. The artwork is a mess of brilliant.

Avengers 38. Moonknight just leaves. The Phoenix Force is looking for a new host, Avengers contemplate what to do with the Starbrand baby, and Howard Stark shows up as an agent of Mephisto. The art is just silly looking though there is a Million Years Ago Phoenix shot I just love.

So this is all about Ghost-Maker, a new/old rival for Batman who wants to kill the villains where batman does not.

USAgent. Dude sent in to look for a mad bomber. Has some sort of agent looking after him who is old but an amazing fighter(Shang Chi in disguise??)

Thor, hm well, Donald Blake is back and he's not happy. So when he is not around all this time he has been in some sort of Truman Show paradise but he figured it out as fake and went crazy and gained magic power from the realm his was imprisoned.

Marauders, yep, Storm literally dances with Death at a dinner for the fighters.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sounds a bit to decostruct-y for my taste

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Avengers, so glad I stopped reading that. I will eventually buy the Agamotto issue IF the art is good.

Thor 9, interesting but I am not a fan of the art. @Gamiel good call on deconstruction.

I’ll just wait on Wolverine 8 then.

Marie Javins, I hope she can make DC good again.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    DC's got issues that transcend anyone working on the comics end, unfortunately. Given that vicious restructuring a little while back, I get this ugly feeling WarnerMedia is starting to ask themselves why they keep a barely profitable company on the books when they could just milk the licenses.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Master_Lok likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see what we have.

D&D At The Spine of the World #1. A Forgotten Realms comic. I'll give it a go.
    Wonder Woman 766
    Marauders 15...last we left X Of Swords Wolverine stabbed Saturnalia but this covers shows everyone poisoned and she stands triumphant.
    Excalibur14...Looks like an OH %^&* moment as Douglock faces an opponent.
    Wolverine 7
    Superman 27
    Detective Comics 1030
    Iron Man 3
    Punchline 1, new villain girl gets a series.
    Strange Academy 5
    Taskmaster 1, been looking forward to this
    Heavy metal 301, it was not my intention to keep getting this but great cover and a flip through convinced me of this one.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not at the price I have it at relative to what Marvel is going to sell it as.

I have it for £33-34 for what will be a RRP £85-90 ($100) book.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For some reason, my comic store didn't have the issue of Marauders, so I got the next two in the crossover instead.

The contest has gotten completely ****ing weird. I love it.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd think Warners basically views DC Comics as a legacy brand IP farm that they can use in other more profitable venues. Might as well keep cranking out new stuff, something will hit huge in a different forum eventually.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I guess that's the thing, I'm starting to wonder if they actually agree with that "might as well keep cranking out new stuff" philosophy if they're willing to slash and burn them that badly. Scriptwriters will also crank out new stuff but don't need an entire comic book company to do so.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The direct market miraculously keeps stumbling along, despite numerous serious wounds from Marvel and DC but it's not where the main sales now are, which is books and trades.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Some time ago the manager of my comic shop told me the superhero films saved them. I'm sure there will be an uptick when things get rolling again.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And that's another case of the big two failing to tap - it's so dysfunctional it's amazing it all keeps going.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The direct market proper is literally not set up to allow them to tap into that as effectively as they could, the preorder system is too esoteric for anything but specialty retailers. The normal consumer gets caught - floppies are a big investment you have to go out of your way for (e.g. there are no single issues of Spider-Man in a Costco, last I checked), but the cheaper and more straightforward options - trades, Marvel Unlimited, DC whatever they call it now - timelock you out of The Discourse(TM). You couldn't ask for a worse overall business model for the current age, and that fosters the extremely dangerous perception amongst the higher-ups that comics are only good as test markets for licenses.

And then the worst part is I'm honestly not even sure there's a fix, the sheer amount of force and resources it would take to reorient the distribution model is probably more trouble for holding companies than squeezing the stone of all remaining drops of blood.

Edit: And what really grinds my gears is simultaneously a lot of the most interesting stuff these companies have ever put out - just in terms of really grappling with some of the conceits of the medium - is on the shelves right now. Gaaaaaah etc.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Marauders, Excalibur, Wolverine; so the first duel is straight up, Cap Britain becomes shattered. After that it's all a bunch of setups. Magik crosses swords at first with a giant creature but then Saturnyne reminds them it is a contest of "arms", and they have an arm wrestling contest which Magik of course loses. And it goes on like that, all setups and not really fights. Marauders opens with a quote, Every battle is won or lost before it is ever fought.. Moment of levity; the mutants are in a near physical argument with their opponents during dinner and Apocalypse looks to his long lost love, "I see you did well with the children." "I did my best," she replies.

In Punchline 1 she gives her origin. It's the same story as Harley but she was never face to face with the Joker where instead she just studied and followed him and broadcast her investigations via social media and along the way she starts killing things.

Iron Man, an apparently depowered Korvac is using b-listers to keep Iron man busy while he gains power.

Taskmaster is done with a Deadpool influence, complete with the 9 to 5 song as his ringtone. He is needed to replicate the biometrics of three people to open a Maria Hill file and see what's on it.

The D&D comic is ok but I do not need for characters to introduce themselves as their character class to the reader. Ranger? Track something. Wizard? Cast a spell. I'll get it.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week,

X-Force 14
    Hellions 6
    Cable 6, they seem to have given young Cable a Longshot attractive power as all the X-girls like him. But he's an idiot.
    Captain America 25
    Batman 103
    Catwoman 27
    Juggernaut 3

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, this Cable thought the optimal solution to fix the timestream was killing his future self and then allowing multiple hypothetical futures to converge so he could forcibly pry them back apart to repair... the past.

... So, yes, he's an idiot. :p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I blame the author.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, there are way more people to blame than just Ed Brisson, you don't get a stupid five kinds of time travel storyline without the rock-solid foundation of bad decisions from AvX, Bendis, the Colors books, editorial trying to write off all mutants, clearing the deck for whatever garbage was going on in the Disassembled era, etc.

So, yeah, trying to figure out what I missed in between dropping the books post-Schism and picking them up with Hickman was... a mistake...

JoinTheSchwarz and Gamiel like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I admit that I have in practice given up on 616's X-Men and just read the AU stories and older stuff by now

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, I'm really enjoying the relaunch, I'm excited to read X of Swords once it starts hitting MU. But there is a lot of garbage for nearly a decade before said relaunch.

Fortunately it's never been more cost effective to see just how garbage it is. And then I get to cleanse my palette with something good afterwards. :p

Gamiel likes this.