main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Moff Gideon (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I don't really care about realism or not I just wanna know how this all fits together. That's what I'm here for.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I don't care about realism either - but I do value prioritizing the story that is currently being told, over a series existing purely as a means to make everything "fit together." Not every story within Star Wars has to directly connect to one another.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True but I don't care about that either I want the connections and the lore.

and considering this show has been willing to connect to other things then I wanna see how it connects to the big ST and be the bridge series we've all been looking for.

4. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    If all you want is "lore" over "story" then you're probably just better off reading a wiki. The emotional and narrative core should always come first and foremost, with focus on the central characters (in this case, Din and the Child) as the real draw. Any lore and setup for future material is can be a nice bonus, for sure, but shouldn't be the focus of the series.

The Mandalorian isn't a "bridge" series. A bridge series would be one that actually bothers to explore the New Republic and the First/Final Order/Empire 2.0 from the inside, and explores the politics that got us from point A at the end of RotJ to point Z in the Sequel Trilogy. Something like that would definitely be nice, since the Sequel Trilogy only really scraped the surface on the state that the galaxy exists in at that point in time - and I bet we do get something like that at some point. But that's just not what The Mandalorian is.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I like what I like and you don't know where this show is going my friend... ;)

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Mandalorian is bridge series tough, we wknow we will get the first order origin story and more teases and cameo's. With Filoni involved we might even get Andy Serkis back as Snoke and Thrawn.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    When it comes to the world, a more realistic political situation is just so much more interesting to watch unfold. And it’s especially important in the long-form TV format. The TV shows that fail the most are those that dumb things down, presenting a story that’s better made for the big screen, but stretching it out to the point of extreme boredom by the third season. For Mando to hold viewers’ interest, it needs to get more complex, not less. Perhaps Gideon has a couple layers of power between him and anyone connected to the FO, or there are other warlords who’ll challenge him, including ones in touch with the FO in the Unknown Regions? Competing warlords that eventually will coalesce (likely violently) into the First Order is a much better story option for TV than “the First Order is up and running five years after ROTJ and Gideon reports directly to Palps.” That’s almost objectively bad, and I can’t see the benefits of doing it (and don’t understand why anyone would want that). If that’s the case, what’s there to look forward to? A rehash of the dynamic that already existed in TFA? But stretched across 50 hours of TV?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean we already know who has the most imperials at their disposal and it’s not Gideon that would be Sloane. However I could still see a similar situation play out either way @Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Cuz its cool for me

You can bring up objectivity and yada yada...but those words don't really mean anything to me.

One person boring is another persons interesting....everything art is subjective remember.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2020
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s why I said “almost” objectively bad. ;)

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

;)

But all that being said I really would wanna see another Warlord ....Like not as the main Villain (I think Gideon is our main baddy for the series) but just to compare and contrast.

Moff Gideon' army is so organized and advanced and they got the whole Proto-First Order thing going. They ALL can't be like that right.

Except maybe Rae Sloane in the Unknown Regions (She has a Super Star Destroyer :p)

But like...Not all the Warlords can be like this...So i think we need to see what another Non-Gideon Warlord is like in a episode just to get a good idea of what other Imp factions are like. We've heard about them, but never seen them.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    First Order leadership goes from Sloane ever since a year after ROTJ to eventually Snoke not that long before TFA, regardless of how objectively bad this may or may not be, we've always known this to be the case. Palpatine took 20 years to complete the first Death Star, Starkiller base is a project that requires the equivalent resources of a whole bunch of Death Stars, there's pretty much nothing that can justifies it's existence, but the least they can do is make it clear that ex-Imperial forces were working on it basically the entire length of time between ROTJ and TFA.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Fredrik Vallestrand Brought up a good point that Gideon could have rallied several Imperial Remnants to his own cause hence why he is so organized.

Maybe if Gideon is gone those Remnants are gonna need somewhere else to go.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I could totally see them joining what will become the FO. After Gideon dies. I just think all this force research will end up with the Sith eternal somehow

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Some comic or book will almost certainly say so. But I still maintain that within the body of the show itself, it is going to have a purpose explicitly related to The Mandalorian's own narrative. Down the line, some time after Gideon dies and his remnant fractures (and the show ends) and all of his work spills out into the galaxy, then I'd imagine that it will become fair game for all of the expanded universe writers to begin making those more explicit Sequel Trilogy connections.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Mandalorian will keep having more ST connections we know this from Faveru.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I do think the Mandalorian will narratively tie into the ST. I would bet on it if I was a betting man.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I don't know why folks think that Mando can't stand on it's own AND have narrative ties to the ST.

Why can't it do both.

The best Star Wars stories in my mind are the ones that are able to elevate everything and tell it's own story too.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree I think both Rebels and TCW do this and I say that as someone who liked the PT before TCW.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think even Resistance did this on a smaller scale, I bet Bad Batch will be a bridge between PT and OT. and explain the most important things away that we never get from PT to OT.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Starkiller Base was started during the Imperial era so before ROTJ. The beginnings of it can be seen in the Fallen Order video game.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also we know from the tv show resistance, that StarKiller as a project was used on 3 planets before they decided to pick Illum.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it can do both. And want it to do both. I just think it needs to do both in a way that’s interesting, and doesn’t reduce everything to direct, straight line connections. The post-OT, pre-ST world should have its own unique, complex, post-Imperial, fledgling New Republic flavor, while laying the foundations for the ST. It shouldn’t just ape the style of the ST.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The real question we need to ask ourselves is

How does THRAWN fit into all this :p[face_laugh]

That's the real question in all of this.

Although funny enough the Post Endor Era is technically considered it's own era as you can see by this new timeline they cooked up
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk and MrDarth0 like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. The New Republic. And I’d like to see more of it.