main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Cobb Vanth (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Oct 30, 2020.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    We're talking about Din's clan here. You stated it yourself in the post I was replying to.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My initial post was entirely about the futility of applying headcanon or even Djarin's canon to whether or not Mandalorians were allowed to take their helmets off.

And less than 24 hours later the very next episode confirmed it.

For your edification I had zero concern about Baby Yoda shoving his ears into a helmet, as the entire premise is absurd, as was the insistence that helmets were suddenly mandatory for all Mandalorians.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I would love to see a "Yoda-head shaped" Mandalorian helmet

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its actually not even about the helmet really, thats one part, but actually the beskar armor itself in which Vanth had no rights too and is a sacred metal. And made more so cause of its scarcity and Imperial holocaust and looting of Mandalore stuff. Vanth has no rights to it, as non Mandalorians have no rights to it, its kinda death sentences to the wearer if a real Mando comes along to collect.

As far as the creed, its true for Djarin since he's a "Child of the Watch" and it probably does have a basis in their culture and mythology and ancient history and stuff like that. Bo-Katan is ex Death Watch via Pre Vizla's terrorist organization that he started to overthrow Satine's regime and return Mandalore to their ancient ways. So the rules may not of been completely set and they were an early phase of very limited numbers that were reinventing themselves in the mold of their ancient warrior past. Bo-Katan is also a Madalorian by descent, so she's not exactly the same thing as Djarin's case and same rules may not apply since she's not of his clan or part of the Tribe, Plus he's part of Death Watch whether he's aware of it or not, she's not obviously anymore.

Plus Bo-Katan and comrades saved his life and that of The Child, so he may of made allowances for them and he seems to be relatively low on the need-to-know as he did not even know about the Jedi and ancient wars with them and now has to seek out an enemy sorcerer. This path was also set upon by the mysterious horned helmed Armorer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    MrDarth0 likes this.
  6. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    For your edification the obligatory helmet is neither headcanon nor Djarin's canon. Until it will be stated otherwise in canon, its a belief of the Children of the Watch and according to what Din Djarin believes, its something all Mandalorians used to observe at some point in their history.

The more Favreau reveals about the Mandalorian culture, the more I think he got inspired by Islam and the different schools and traditions that exist within it. Including the different approaches to how a woman should dress. So far it seems to me that the Children of the Watch are essentially the Wahhabi of the Mandalorians.

Why not? Unless they state in the show that only humans can be Mandalorian, any species can become a foundling and eventually a warrior of the clan. Its something that was well established in Legends as well.

7. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    So...how about that Cobb Vanth guy this thread's about?

I just hope he gets new armor. Clearly, he's fond of having some sort of protection and this guy won't last long helping Din wearing a sweater and bandana in combat[face_laugh]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Jaxxon- and Palp_Faction like this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Who knows maybe his sweater and scarf are made of armorweave...:p

He seems to be an Ok shot(but the helmet helps), but without the armor he would've never have lasted as long as he did. In fact all these Mando or wannabe characters would've been killed a dozen or more times over already.

Anyway Cobbs strength more lies in his character, not the armor. Armor does not maketh the man. But in his case it did help.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m all for different species getting to be Mandos, but please keep the helmets roughly the same shape. One with Yoda ears would look unbearably cartoonish.

10. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    Do you think Mando will ask Cobb for help down the line? I hope we see him again, I really do...

Krueger and Avnar like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think like in season one we will see Cobb Vanth again, in either chapter 15 or chapter 16, same with Bo and her night owls.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  12. Jedi Historian

Jedi Historian Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I really hope so. To fully embrace the show's old west sensibilities, how about a Magnificent 7 nod for Episode 16, with all of them protecting the Child from Gideon?:
    1. Mando
    2. Cara Dune
    3. Greef
    4. Bo-Katan
    5. Koska
    6. Axe
    7. Cobb

13. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    Now the fun part, which one(s) of the six die?

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its probably best not to assume Cobb would leave Tatooine. he is sheriff after all. i could see him appearing again in a later series. but i think Mando would have to go to his small town for a purpose, and not hey come with me because you seem cool.

15. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    And we still got Biehn's character to introduce.

RetropME likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think he shows up in chapter 14.

RetropME likes this.
  17. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    we can only dream....

18. Jedi Historian

Nov 1, 2012
    You're so right--Favreau has shown he is not averse to killing very likable, sympathetic characters on the show. If a Magnificent 7 analogue comes to pass, it seems highly likely it will come complete with some tear-jerking loss...

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Greef is the most likley one.

20. Jedi Historian

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

Not again! Say it ain't so!

21. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I'm starting to think that we won't see Cobb again :(

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I see no reason to think that. They parted ways at the end of the first episode on good terms and we know that Din has enough connections on Tatooine that it is a place that he frequents.

His path up to this point in season two has been to find Ahsoka, and everything he's done has been in service of that path. Once Ahsoka is behind him, I think a return to Tatooine (with Cobb and Boba playing into that) is in store.

23. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Except that Mando surrendered his old armor when he received his new. I believe they even show the Armorer melting down Din's old armor.

24. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    for what reason exactly?

25. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, we know in general that he frequents there enough that he's on great terms with Peli Motto, and that he speaks Tusken and understands their ways. It's a hub that he has a lot of ties to.

Narratively, in terms of why he might specifically return there in the near future on the show... this is all speculation on my part, but if I had to guess, as he starts to ease on his creed and learn that there is "another way," I wouldn't be shocked to see him go been to give Cobb his armor back. He had a lot of respect for Cobb, after all. I bet when they happens, though, he is going to find that Mos Pelgo was attacked (potentially by Boba?) and that without the armor, Cobb was unable to protect his town and his people. That will feed a lot into Din's slowly eroding belief in his creed, as he realizes that he never should have taken the armor from Cobb in the first place.

Jaxxon- likes this.