main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Understanding Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Again, it is not a “service to the people” the church is supposed to preach the gospel and fulfill the great commission. There is this weird and bizarre notion that the actual message of the gospel is unimportant or it’s “strings attached” and that the church has a social role of what amounts to alms giving.

The gospel is the point. Jesus himself fed the hungry and healed the sick, but his miracle work wasn’t simply to provide charity to the hungry and sick of Judea of which there were very many but to redeem their souls. The physical healing and giving food is a representation of what His actual mission was. Just as caring for the sick and poor is a reflection or expression of what the Church’s mission is.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It is a weird and bizarre notion that any religion should focus on making this world the least bit better, isn't it?

darthcaedus1138 and Rew like this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    If Catholicism's followers were a country, they'd be China. If Catholicism's global revenues were a country's, they would be Iceland's. If its followers were citizens, and the Church a country, Catholicism's tax revenues per capita would be ten times lower than the poorest country in the world's.

The Catholic church really isn't that well off, not in this day and age. It certainly doesn't have the shoulders to cover for all the poor of the world. It wouldn't even have the shoulders to cover for the poor of the USA if it put all it has just in that one country.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems quite clear that, according to Jesus, the gospel is for us to love one another, that this is how we show we love God and follow him, by following his way of compassion towards all.

Matthew 22
    36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
    37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 7
    12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Acts 4
    32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

Acts 16
    17 She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” 18 She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her.

Matthew 23
    12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Matthew 25
    34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
    37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
    40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Matthew 10
    8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

Matthew 7
    “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
    4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 19
    16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
    17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
    18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
    Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
    20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
    21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Matthew 5
    3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
    6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
    7 Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
    8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
    9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
    10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So on the subject of baking cakes for gay weddings and similar situations, I'm legit tryna understand the rationale. The argument I've heard (using the cake scenario) is that the baker doesn't wanna give the (mis)perception that they condone a particular lifestyle. Do I understand that correctly so far?

So here's my thing: doesn't that mean that they're basing their behavior on other people's opinions, rather than how they're actually living their lives?

I'm seriously trying to understand...

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Didn't Mother Theresa say something like "I give witness to God all of the time. And occasionally I even use words." I thought that was a cool thing to say.

godisawesome and Sarge like this.
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It's not that difficult, Merk.
    They just don't want to support something they think conflicts with their faith.

black_saber likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, she was really cool.
    I mean, it's always cool when people, like mother Theresa, get a kick out of watching the poor suffer and die in squalor because that's what poor people should do, so **** them.

EDIT: And let's not forget that she forcibly had Muslims and Hindus baptized into Christianity right before they died.

She was a despicable excuse for a human being.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    harpua, Darth Guy, B3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    With all confirmed and unconfirmed allegations to her, it is a bit strange to call her as a despicable example of our society, if you look at what most people do in their lives.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Most people don't call the fact that poor people die in pain "beautiful". And she was literally made a saint for it.

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She had a lot of flaws, no question but she said that quote in connection how people endure their fate and that this suffering bring them closer to Jesus on the cross.
    To assume that it gave her a kick to see people suffering is polemical nonsense and has nothing to do with scientifically dealing with her work and her mistakes.

Sarge, christophero30 and Lordban like this.
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Cool that she sought the best medical care when she needed it then. Awesome.

She was a hateful person. Someone who looked at poor people as lesser beings, people who could die closer to that cross so that real people didn't have to. Who in her undeserved Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech told the world that abortion, not poverty, was what was threatening world peace.
    Despicable.

Many of those she allowed to "die beautifully" could have lived with some basic health care.

darthcaedus1138 and Darth Guy like this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't know what other denominations or variations of Christianity teach, but from what I was taught, yes helping people in need is the job of the church. If these people come to God eventually as a result of compassion shown to them, great. If they don't...that's their choice and their right, but we should help them regardless.

I don't see that as being a sufficient justification. What if I'm a baker and I don't want to serve Jews or Mormons because I disapprove of their beliefs? Or alternatively, what if I'm a Christian living in a Muslim-majority country, and the local bakers there disapprove of my lifestyle? This isn't even some radical Enlightenment idea...it's just simple reciprocity.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wanted to ask this question about the knights Templars during the crusades since this is a forum about the history of Christianity.

Did they murder innocent Muslims of women and children during the crusade while protecting Christian pilgrims trying to visit the holy land, especially those going to Jerusalem?

I know that the Catholic Church supported the Templars until Friday the 13th of the 1300s. I just can’t find Templar massacres anywhere else.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would assume so since they called them infidels or what have you.

16. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Agreed and there also some Muslim tribes that have killed Christian pilgrims too at the time of crusades too.

And I do agree that the medieval Christian were a lot worse.

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The Templars are an excellent example of how many Christians (even, and maybe especially again,:mad: today) want to cosplay as Old Testament “holy warriors,” completely ignoring the charges and directives the New Testament gives them in favor of trying to be “the righteous man smiting the wicked.” So they pretty much had to have slaughtered innocent people at least once or twice, in the same way lynch mobs used their believes as a veneer to murder and persecute instead of minister and serve.

Having said that, the real sick sonsaguns in the Crusades were guys like Raynald De Chatillon, a guy who got hated by everyone, Christian, Muslim, and Jewish. He was still considered a Crusader lord... and he was someone who ordered a high ranking churchman beaten bloody, stripped naked, slathered in honey, and forced to sit in the sun baking and getting devoured by insects until he agree to pay him money. And that was how he treated his Christian superiors! He then started a bunch of raids on the pilgrimage to Mecca... in direct contravention of Salah Al Din’s treaty with the Crusader kingdoms.

Dude was flat out executed in Salah Al Din’s tent after the battle of Hattin, in a manner that heavily suggested someone could have complained he’d been given hospitality... and yet basically no one blames Saladin for doing it, and most people roll with the idea he almost certainly impugned himself on his host/captor like an idiot.

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    You aren't really going to find single, catastrophic events like the slaughters of Jerusalem in 1099 or Béziers in 1209 that can be exclusively attributed to Templars, but they participated in the latter, and in quite a few atrocities in the Albigensian Crusade, to point out what jumps to mind. They certainly left a bloody footprint in my region.

Sarge likes this.
  19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    That would explains why some historians call Templars hero’s while others argue calling them villains.

I believe Templars where the equivalent to the Catholic Church version of the Taliban.

The big difference when came to tv screens is kingdom of heaven movie made the Templars evil zealots while knightfall tv series portrayed them as heros.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The Templars really weren't the equivalent of the Taliban. You aren't, for an example, going to find the Taliban acting as a bank for major Islamic states, like the Templars did for several European kingdoms and great feudals. The Templars' involvement - and use of - the rivalries between secular law and religious law is something you aren't going to find in other religions, as the underlying dichotomy between the spiritual and the temporal realms is characteristic of Christianism.

As to why they fit rather well the notion of playing both hero and villain, they were both one of the main elements involved in the massacre of the Cathars and the victims of a systematic purge initiated by Philippe le Bel of France at the end of their existence. You'll find them at both extremes of that spectrum, and in all the nuances in-between. The only thing you won't find is the Templars themselves initiating a genocide.

Sarge likes this.
  21. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    When I was comparing the Templars to the Taliban, I was saying that both of them did horrible things in the name of god and religion.

I get that the Templars aren’t suicide bombers and I understand as it seems like the Templars were more like security guards then foot soldiers judging by protecting holy sites and pilgrims.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    That doesn't make them equivalent. It just gives them one commonality.

Jedi Merkurian and Gamiel like this.
  23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I don’t get that one either, really. I mean, it’s a business so if someone wants to buy my stuff I’ll serve them and take the money. I also don’t see how it’s condoning anything. It’s just a cake and you’re a baker. You aren’t trumpeting for gay rights or anything. Just bake a cake and make a little money. That being said, any privately owned business should be able to refuse service if they want to. Is that "nice"? Nope, but it’s their business and again, being privately owned means just that.

Personally, if I were gay and a bakery didn’t want to make my wedding cake due to bigoted reasons....I’d get the hell outta there. Why give them the business? It’s their loss.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    It is society's loss if a whole demographic of people can be refused service just because they happen to be gay, which is what anti-discrimination legislation seeks to prevent.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That overlooks that some people believe that society is not functioning correctly if there aren't groups that are being treated as second class citizens to allow some people to feel like first class citizens. What of their needs?