main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I gave it a solid 7, it had a lot going on from introducing another baby Yoda heist to is Razor Crest gonna survive to Mon Calamari to is baby Yoda gonna survive to Squid Heads to Bo Katan. Then bringing back the Imperials again. Great episode. A real set up for what's in store next.

2. sithboy

sithboy Jedi Grand Master

Dec 15, 2000
    There’s a lot of potential for the “Baby Yoda” character moving forward. As a child we’ve only seen a glimpse of who he is from a personality aspect. I do find it interesting the theory of him being involved with the Dark side, gives it another spin and unexpected turn for the character. - The episodic format of the series has been in my case a welcomed delight. - Great Star Wars imho.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I just hope they do something eventually other than be a cute plot device

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yes, everything in the books and comics is technically canon, I haven’t read everything though

the Aftermath trilogy takes place decades before the ST though, it’s more connected to the OT timewise

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    They are clearly showing the Child develop, and the Din-Child relationship develop. So they’re already doing something more with him than a cute plot device. This is a TV show. They can take their time to develop things. No need to rush.

6. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    The Battle of Jakku clearly happened as far as the ST is concerned, Jakku is in TFA, it's litered with downed Star Destroyers, broken Imperial hardware and whatnot, the battle was big enough that they've been doing nothing but scavenging the area for seemingly generations.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree, everything is Canon and honestly there aren't as many contradictions as you'd expect. Also as far as added scenes a la TROS, some are added but some expand on topics that couldn't be discussed in detail.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    i meant the last book in the series Palpatine had some secret underground base on Jakku they hinted at the underground base and Palpatine's big plan coming into play in the ST?

9. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    They really didn't know that Palpatine was coming back at that point. They just knew there'd be a battle of Jakku then a trip to the Unknown Regions where Snoke would appear, so the writer wrote about an Observatory of the Unknown Regions at Jakku that Palpatine had that might have helped facilitate these things. The books are canon but they still needed to step lightly as the movies were still being written.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, it was the Contingency. All the post-ROTJ books did have to be careful though due to the movies and not wanting to overstep their bounds. Now they'll have more leeway I think.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Wow, polls close quick here :p

And it wasn’t open first day I saw the episode.

O, well

B3 likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Clear evidence of voter suppression.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Let the poll close, recount if you have to.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally got around to watching this episode. Here are my thoughts as I watch:

-Like the opening shot with the planet and then the ship moving into view. Something beautiful and serene about it.

-Fish lady hugging her canister of eggs warms my heart and hits me right in the feels.

-Yikes, another hot crash landing incoming!

-Love the crane that picks them out of the water. Creative looking.

-Fish lady's joy at being reunited with her husband is so endearing.

-Oh, person in black lurking behind the crates. Very mysterious.

-Goop from a machine. Yummy. Don't forget to add the salt!

-"I can buy something else. Information." Slides credits across counter. Mando is great.

-Baby Yoda not interested in the chowder.

-"Don't play with your food." Dad Mando is wonderful.

- Baby Yoda is not dinner! Such treachery all for the beskar armor!

-"The Child. Help the child." Concerned dad Mando is the best.

-Aww. Baby Yoda back in Mando's arms where he should be.

-Interesting. Like that Mando is a product of a sort of breakaway cult of Mandalore. Love the world building in this series. Has depth with cultures and lots of different planets. Great stuff.

-"He didn't kill your brother. I did." You tell him.

-Slurping a worm. Yuck.

-Uh, Fish Lady, don't let Baby Yoda near that canister...Your eggs are his favorite snack.

-Beating up stormtroopers. Classic Star Wars.

-Yep, stormtroopers do have bad aim[face_laugh]

-"Think we have them trapped."

"Where?"

"In the cargo area."

Such perfect Imperial incompetence.

-"This is the way" turned into a zinger against Mando. This show has some good dialogue, and I appreciate all the strong female characters in it.

-"Long live the Empire." The line and actions of a true fanatic.

-Great scene where the Mandalorians storm the cockpit and regain control of the ship just before it crashes.

-"You might let me live, but he won't." This episode isn't messing around. Really shows the fanatical mindset.

-Fish Lady and her husband babysitting and with their new child is cute. Love that Mando told them congratulations.

-Aww, Baby Yoda always stuffing his face with gross stuff. Perfect note to end on.

Overall thoughts on the episode: This was an intense episode that really showed the fanaticism of some Imperial officers and had some interesting world building. I liked seeing Mando interact with other Mandalorians with a different mindset on things and their culture. I also like the idea of Mando being raised by a splinter sort of cult group with the values of the cult group. That is fascinating to think about. Also the Fish Lady and her husband were adorable. Glad they got their kid in the end. A happy ending for him and a clear destination for Mando going into the next episode. Probably my favorite episode of the new season.

Episode rating out of ten: 9 out of 10. Really liked the world building and how intense this episode was. It really increased in tension throughout!

Off to watch the next episode!

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I was wondering when your reviews would arrive! Always enjoy the energy in them.

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    @devilinthedetails said it all once again.

I am not surprised this episode got 8/10 or higher from 90% of the voters. I would have given it a 9/10 personally. At the time I read a lot of complaints about people who were complaining about a 3rd side quest in a row, but I never saw it as such (neither did I see the first two episodes as side quests anyway).

If you asked me about the Mandalorians back in 2008, I would have told you that I do not care one bit about any stories or shows with Mandalorians and if I never saw any, I would not mind at all. Then Clone Wars came and it definitely made the Mandalorians far more interesting than before to me, especially since it added really strong characters like Satine, Bo Katan and the rest of them. Between 2010 and 2011 I also dove deep into the EU and read all the Legacy Of The Force novels, three of which were written by Karen Traviss who is obviously fascinated with the Mandalorian culture and Boba Fett (perhaps a little too much), and then Rebels came too, with Sabine Wren being one of my all time favorite characters, and my soft spot in that show. Now with The Mandalorian, I can say with certainty that at least in this show, all the episodes that have Mandalorians automatically get 1 bonus point in my rating.

Having said that, this episode was fantastic not just because of The Mandalorians and Bo Katan, but also because of the aquatic planet, because of all the Quarrens and the Mon Cala, because of all the action sequences, and because of Grogu being a jester once again. The third act of the episode aboard the imperial ship is fantastic. Plus, the smoke person from Lost XDDD I was impressed by Bryce Dallas Howard with this episode, even though I was never among the people that thought she didn't do that well with "Sanctuary". I just thought "The Heiress" was a step up for her.

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Bor Mullet Thanks! I'm enjoying writing these reviews as I go along, and I'm glad that other people are enjoying reading them:DI feel like there is so much excitement and drama in all the Mandalorian episodes I've seen in both season one and season two that it is easy for me to put energy into the reviews because I am genuinely enthusiastic about what is happening on the show and eager to find out what will happen next. Just a series that has been a real treat for me to watch so far.

@DarthFixxxer I'm with you in that if this episode was a side quest, it didn't bother me at all and honestly didn't feel like a side quest. I felt like we learned more about Mandalorian culture and the splinter cult of it that Mando himself grew up within, so that felt like an important part of Mando's journey as a character, and Mando also learned where to find Ahsoka Tano, accomplishing something toward his larger goal of bringing Baby Yoda to a Jedi for training. I also think in addition to being an action/adventure type series with some at times western vibes, there is an explicitly quest type story arc going on with Mando and Baby Yoda (Mando even refers to himself as being "quested" with regard to bringing Baby Yoda to a Jedi for training) which works well in space fantasy like Star Wars and often entails side quests. Quests are often made by stringing together multiple little accomplishments and side quests to achieve an overarching goal or victory, and the journey taken to accomplish the quest often involves character development and transformation as his happening to Mando, so that the external journey the character takes reflects the internal journey of the character. So really the Mandalorian is one of those shows where I don't really mind "side quests" and even the "side quests" tend to feel important and meaningful to me. A good comparison for me would be Avatar: The Last Airbender, where I love exploring the characters and the world so much that all the "side quest" episodes really end up feeling essential and some of them end up being among my absolute favorite episodes. The Mandalorian is like that for me in that so far across what I have seen of two seasons, there hasn't been a "dud" of an episode yet, and no episode I'd rank below seven out of ten. So that to me is a very strong TV series.

I did enjoy the Karen Traviss novels about Mandalorians and exploration of Mandalorian culture, but to be honest, I wasn't even that interested in the Mandalorian show when it was first announced, and I watched the first episode not sure how I would like it. But the show won me over from the first episode on, and now I am a fan. I took a chance on it because it was Star Wars, and I ended up really enjoying it so far. It just is proof that a story doesn't have to initially sound amazing to me for me to end up being a fan of it if the story is well told, the world building is vivid, and the characters complex and well-fleshed out. Any story can be engaging if well-told basically, and that's where I think this TV series has really worked well for me. It has done what it set out to do very well with to me no major missteps in what I have seen of two seasons. Even when I have criticisms, they are fairly minor and don't carry over from episode to episode so really those are the best kind of criticisms to have. Minor quibbles that don't have a pervasive impact on the overall story. So really it is hard for me to imagine being more pleased overall with the Mandalorian TV series than I am now.

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It'd be a dead heat for me between this one and "The Jedi" for the best of the season, although they were all very good and there were a couple others that came close. I love the setting here, and I love the leap forward into the complexities of Mandalorian culture, I love Bo-Katan so very very much, and I love the way almost everything was realized onscreen.

It's not lost on me that my two favorites were the ones that brought over characters from the animated shows, but I'm quite sure that's not "why". In fact on my first viewings of those episodes, I checked myself out of evaluating them for what they were and basically assumed they wouldn't hold up on another viewing. Instead they both opened up and got even stronger once the "fanservice buzz" wore off.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    rumblewagon likes this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh lol I noticed him but not what he was wearing. Legendary

whostheBossk likes this.