main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How do you deal with friend/family relationships across political divides? [Poll & Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pensivia, Oct 24, 2020.

?

When it comes to friends/family who have political/social views I find deeply offensive...

1. I strictly avoid ANY discussion of politics with them because it would damage my relationships.

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. I discuss politics with them, but I focus mainly on trying to understand where they are coming from.

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. I discuss/debate/argue with them in an effort to get them to change their views.

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. I know neither of us will change our views, but I get into heated debates/arguments with them anyway

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. My awareness of their views (even if not discussed) has negatively affected my relationships.

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  6. I have relationships that have been seriously damaged or destroyed due to such issues.

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that's not the "gotcha" you think it is, as politics aren't black and white.
    To vote for Biden against Trump is perfectly understandable, as he was the lesser evil, and American politics are stupidly binary (either vote right-wing, or vote far-right). And hell, Biden even has one or two decent policy proposals.
    To vote for Trump is to vote for a man who is actively looking to tear down America's democratic system, and who is just in the game for his own ego's (and wallet's) sake.

See the difference here? One is a crappy politician, and one is an authoritarian. It's really not that hard to see which is worse.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, yes. The only 'minority' that matters.
    I didn't, actually. But it's telling that's what you immediately pulled from it.
    ... and now we're going to a generic 'disagree' statement. Again it's not a ****ing baseball team. What would I tell a person - regardless of who they were - that the 'China virus' is a hoax and people who wear masks are sheeple? To **** right off.
    But I get it - you're saying that when our conservative relatives and friends go on about QAnon, wear shirts to family functions that say "TRUMP 2020 **** YOUR FEELINGS", or tell someone they're an idiot when they refuse to talk politics, we're supposed to remember that we were indoctrinated from birth by the Leftist Conspiracy to hate conservatives for no good reason and we should 'humor' them by letting them go on about their racist screed, or put them on 'sleep' on Facebook, or let them insult you because, hey, they really need a 'win' right now.

3. Jay Kenobi

Jay Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2020
    I witnessed violent riots happening across the country in several major cities. I saw buildings burned to the ground, I saw businesses destroyed, I saw people violently attacked and murdered.

I also saw democrats cheer them on.

4. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    Being racist used to mean you judged someone more harshly on the basis of their race or skin color, or that you flat out viewed them as inferior people. Now it's applied to anyone that voted for Trump and doesn't enjoy rap music. I'm sorry but you cross the line when you equate Trump voters with Klan members and Nazis. You have no idea what you're talking about. Ask a Holocaust survivor.

And yes you did name every other group but straight white men. Minorities, LGBTQ, women... that's what you said. In other words anyone who isn't a straight white man.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And?

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    wtf does any of this have to do with the topic of this thread?

7. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    How can anyone trust you to be a moral compass when you won't even condemn clear and obvious acts of evil and maliciousness?

Say what you want about Trump supporters, but they aren't rioting and harassing innocent people. In the week leading up to Election Day you saw businesses board up their windows. I hate to break it to you but they weren't protecting themselves from the evil Trump voters... they were worried about the violent leftists.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, we all saw Kyle Rittenhouse murder those two men.

9. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    I mentioned that by and large democrats find republicans to be lesser people, which is why so many of them find it difficult to keep relationships with people that don't agree with them.

And then people responded and I was proven right.

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    We're not moral compasses

Also good job in totally ignoring the context of my post

also, whose sock are you?

11. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    Then stop judging other people.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    What the **** is that? Seriously? "Doesn't enjoy rap music"?
    Here's something else I'll bold for you, let this sink home:
    The Klan, neo-Nazis and white nationalists love Donald Trump.
    And yes - let's ask a Holocaust survivor.
    Feel free to address about dealing with family members that don't take the pandemic seriously, while you're at it - considering that's the topic at hand. Because in all your concern trolling, you really seem to want to just talk politics, and there's a thread for that.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Jesus Tiberius Christ.

I'm done with this off topic nonsense.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not a moral compass, no one is expected to follow my way of thinking. THAT is a moral compass.

I am however a voter (UK) and perfectly within my rights to express my own personal opinion of other ethics and political leanings. We do after all live in free countries with freedom of speech (in respects to government, private corporations have their own allowances) and as such I will happily and frequently pass judgement on those who I believe to be lacking. Thats perfectly within my rights, so when I say that a portion of Trumps voting base are bigoted and racist and homophobic, I say that because I believe that. I'm not forcing them to change tack and whilst I'd like them to, I believe they have so little personal introspection that they won't.

That VAST majority as I say voted for Trump because they voted republican, within there a portion will wholeheartedly agree with Trumps abhorrence but the rest will see him as a necessary evil to ensure their party of choice gets in. The swing voters who CHOSE to vote for Trump deserve all the condemnation they get because they CHOSE to vote for a horror. Those voting by party lines do so by rote and should be forgiven for voting without thinking (this applies to Democrats, Torys and Labour too) and needs EVERYONE to uncover a new type of political awareness that ius much harder to find in this very very polarized world we now live in.

blackmyron likes this.
  15. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    Okay fine, so long as you acknowledge that it's perfectly fine for people to disagree with you without jumping to the conclusion that they are awful people.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY during the 80's and 90's. I lived in a highly diverse neighborhood. I have friends of all colors. I respect everyone's right to liberty and everyone's freedom to pursue their own happiness. I do not condone racism, sexism or homophobia. The first time I ever voted for President it was for Kerry in '04, then Obama in '08 and '12.

However in '16 and '20 I voted for Trump. Do you believe me to be a bad person? Give it to me straight, I can take it.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Are you friends and/or family? Do you have anything to add to this discussion? No? I mean, I'm sure we all appreciate your attempt at concern trolling, but you already gave the game away with your 'rap music' reference.

Take it to the Politics thread if you want to talk your politics. If you have actual on-topic comments to make, feel free to share.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yes it is 100% fine to disagree with me without being a horrible person provided they aren't a horrible person.

I don't believe that all Tory voters in the UK are horrible people. One of my closest work friends is 100% a tory voter and we have MAJOR disagreements on policy but I love her dearly (as a friend etc...) and value her opinion because it's well thought out and I can see where she comes from.

One of the lads I used to work with was 100% for Brexit because he wanted to keep immigrants out (ignoring the fact his parents and him by extension moved to the UK using these rules [face_plain]) but could never quantify ANYTHING outside stopping migrants that made Brexit a good idea and every discussion I had with him always ended with "but immigrants"

Swing voters to Tory in the last election will 100% get my derision because they have voted for a party that has overseen appalling austerity on a nation and a hugely divisive and unnecessary Brexit vote which will be the undoing of our nation, they have enable Johnson and I can't forgive those swing voters. Those who voted Party line need educating (IMO) but know they're entrenched in their views and it's hard to talk to a brick wall. They're not awful people, they just don't see the need to move out of the habit they're in and part of that is fear of what could be rather than what is.

I'm not going to comment on you voting for a fascist racist, you can live with your own conscious or lack of. We have frank and fair discussions with Trump voters in here frequently and they often run away. I have just one question for you.

You voted for Trump, Why? (also we have a politics thread so answer there please)

18. Jay Kenobi

Nov 19, 2020
    Which thread specifically, could you point me to it?

I'm new here.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    First page, US politics 2.0

easy to find

20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well HAD a left party. The Corbyn news makes my blood boil.

Democrats have not supported the rioting. That's been one of my biggest problems with the party these past months, their implicit endorsement of police violence. It is insane to say they support rioting. Also no left wing protester has murdered anyone. conservatives both police and civilians have murdered leftists though. Buildings burned down have been again and again proven mostly to be literally police doing it.

Try a frame that has not been thoroughly debunked and reeks of putting property over human life. You want so badly for politics to be this binary between you and the democrats with some extremes that may be rhetorically supported, but no politics is not even really a spectrum. We are dealing with entirely different schools of thought. Libs are as different from my fundamental beliefs as yours are from mine.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yes.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't see Trump supporters as bad people... just not very bright or self aware.

FatBurt and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    In the end, does it really matter what their reasons are? If someone thinks that Mexicans are rapists and that BLM supporters are some kind of radical organized mob, then the net impact of their thoughts isn't changed by why they have them. All that matters in the end is that they support a fascist and indirectly white supremacy.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Agreed, but I think a lot of them are too stupid to be bad people--they are simply dumb.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've asked other people this here, so I'll give it another venture.

@Jay Kenobi What do you like about Trump?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.