main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It’s funny how everyone who uses the “just a few bad eggs” excuse doesn’t seem to want to throw those bad eggs out.

2. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    They also have little problem rationalizing away the action of these "bad eggs", yet rarely, if ever, extend the victims of those actions the same courtesy.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think I have ever found a case of police brutality where people didn’t try to justify it because the person did something wrong once in their life.

George Floyd is a great example the amount of sick people I have seen try to justify the use of force against him because of his past is disgusting.

4. Jay Kenobi

Jay Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2020
    Former democrat turned republican here, voted for Obama twice.

Democrats: You're entire argument hinges on Trump being an awful racist. Trump voters don't believe he is racist so this argument falls on deaf ears every single time. No matter what you do you aren't going to convince them that he's racist.

They have a different definition of the word "racist" than you do.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That is certainly obvious, they won’t think he’s a racist even if he were to use the N-word on national TV, there would be some excuse about how “that’s not what he really meant.”

But nobody here is trying to convince any Trump supporter of anything, and quite frankly, no one here cares what Trump supporters think about him or about us.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What argument? Last I checked we were talking police officers pepper spraying protestors and charging them with assault. No one was talking about Trump. Are you just making up arguments to argue against?

7. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    The chasing of a 'perfect victim' and racism is an awful combination which leads exactly to what you are saying. People will always find a hoop to jump through when it comes to excusing violence directed at Black folks. Even if Mr. Floyd didn't have whatever past he had, there would still be folks justifying his murder.

I would say the country has a 'disease', but it was born with this disease, so perhaps 'defect' would be a better word.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t know if it’s a defect with the country or humanity. I think Racism will exist so long as there are races and once there are no distinguishing races. Well humanity will just hate on something else or just double down on something people already hate like being from a different country or religion or political beliefs.

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Exactly why I get put off by stuff that's like "look these people are not leeches, these dreamers joined the military or are teachers", my friend opened my eyes on how distasteful that is when of DACA he said "I don't care if they are a doctor, I care just as much if not more about a dreamer who is shooting up in a gas station bathroom. Their humanity is as real and legitimate to me, equivocating or trying to place moral worth on them just harms people writ-large"

edit: also Jay no one cares about someone being a Trump supporter here. BLM started under Obama, and most of the problems this thread talks about are directly by the designs of Joe Biden. This is about police brutality, not if a donkey or elephant is in the stupid white house.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hi! Welcome to the thread :cool:[face_coffee]

I think you’ll find that what faction name you choose for yourself has precious little to do with the topic of this thread

So that we’re all on the same page, what is that definition?

11. Jay Kenobi

Jay Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2020
    Racism as I understand, and as most people understand it, is the thought process that certain people are inherently inferior on the grounds of their ethnicity or skin color. That people who belong to said groups shouldn't be entitled the same dignity, respect and freedoms.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think you forgot your most insightful comment:

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So what definition of racism do you think other people have?

Pensivia and vncredleader like this.
  14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I was looking at police stories online, and I found one about Arthur Keith (put link in No Donuts Thread). I looked him up to see whether he was white or not, and I was not surprised to find he was African-American.

No negative background found so far on Keith, he seemed well liked by kids. He was my age. Also, the Cleveland Police Department is refusing to release info on the officer who shot him. Goes to show that police will protect their own first, no matter what and individual exception cases can't be counted on.
    I'd be surprised if his political affiliations were much different from those of Derek Chauvin.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Amazing thread on one of the most high-profile bigots in the US

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I swear to god i could do my text walls for days here on all the liberal racism towards Asians and specifically Chinese people as of late.
    Anyone see this gem from the leader of Hong Kong Watch?
    [​IMG]
    A Brit who is a "human rights activist" let alone one whose focus is on HK and Sri Lanka aka British colonies is not someone who should be trusted

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Seeing a Chinese person in your neighborhood and assuming that they are probably agents of the Chinese government sent to spy on you is racist on a level where you could be transplanted into the 1950s and no one would notice you were from the future.

22. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    There was an average 80% drop in takings for Chinese takeaways here in Australia in the first few months of this year before we locked down. No prizes for guessing the reason why. Takeaways serving other Asian cuisines also suffered drops in business during the same period, though not as extreme. For some racists, I suppose being Asian is 'close enough', not that they need any excuse.

Posting crap on Twitter that promotes the idea that Chinese neighbours or just passers-by could be spying on you, is next level paranoia. It could not just encourage more racism towards Chinese people, or people who 'look Chinese', but people could get hurt. God, I'm so sick of this.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I was deathly afraid of this during hong kong when every lib on earth seemed to decide racism was ok towards the Chinese and reddit's front page would literally just be openly Sinophobic vitriol. Harassment of Chinese people internationally spiked, the media had the time of its life getting in on that. I thought maybe MAYBE it would be calming down, even when covid was first being mentioned late 2019 I was like "hey maybe people will have some god forsaken empathy for them" nope we get trump and biden competing for who can say "chinaman" the most times without literally using that word.

It is still that way, promises of "no no I hate communists and would nuke china if I could" became freaking cheered on or at least unquestioned. It is sickening. It is institutional, like that tweet is not from some a hold, it is from the media darling "expert" on China and human rights. They dont even pretend to not be a tool for justifying western foreign policy anymore
    spoilered for slurs and swears, its a post from an Asian calling out this bs
    [​IMG]
    China reveals that Australians slit children's throats in Afghanistan and took the prosthetic leg of a dead man and used it as a beer cup, and all people mention is how China is mean for calling that out. First people hear of it is in sinophobic coverage of Aussies flipping out over their war criminals being criticized.
    https://fair.org/home/the-real-crim...olitical-cartoon-about-australian-war-crimes/

I highly recommend following Radio free Amanda for perspective on this stuff

Don't put up with "oh I just mean the government" or "i'm just asking questions" for a second. We damn well know what people are doing, they think they get a pass for one reason or another. This pattern has....well it has been going on since the first Chinese immigrants to the UK and US and Australia and has never ceased. But it really is a bipartisan thing, and one that requires "respectable" liberals to pave the groundwork

edit: oh speaking of the Australia thing, here is the gofundme for the Aussie who exposed these crimes and is now facing 50 years in jail for refusing to be silent about what he was tricked into partaking in. thought I should leave it here
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/50-years-in-jail-for-whistleblowing-on-the-adf

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  24. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Most people with a moderate grasp on reality know that the British Empire was predicated on evil intentions. If you've ever had any doubts just how evil, watch this:

I learned about the Mau Mau uprising during my time in Kenya, and heard many stories first hand from Kenyans. That was back in '90, and I could barely get my head around what I was hearing as the accounts seemed so much more extreme than I had previously heard.

Honesty, take the worst things you've heard about British colonial rule and assume things were infinitely worse, because they probably were.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Huh, what did happen to "legitimate user" JayKenobo?