main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Moff Gideon (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well if assume his fleet is still around, i could see him being the top dog around, a ciss warlord with star destroyers. Also with Ahoska and Sabine looking for Ezra we might soon find out. I think somewhere down the line Filoni will use a live action Thrawn.

2. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Moff Gideon's projects are shaping up to be interesting. Also fun fact since people were asking what happened to Korkie in the last episode one of his friends from those episodes Amis is played by Omid Abtahi who plays Doctor Pershing. It's easy to say this will tie to Snoke and Palpatine. It could but Gideon is more than likely pursing his own goals with the possibility that maybe someone who serves Palpatine or the First Order acting as a spy and may utilise his research for the Snoke and Palpatine. But I still think someone else is pulling Gideon's strings but again isn't tied to the First Order though the only likely candidate for that is Thrawn. It seems like he's trying to build the perfect soldier.

The Dark Trooper if it ties back to the EU origin makes it a droid which means it has no human emotions but the power of the Force can only be drawn from living beings. So it might not be tied to them but they are both going to be used to step up his army. He only has so many human men working for him I imagine and only probably has a couple of areas under his command like we saw last time.

It's said he has a fleet but his ship isn't a Star Destroyer and is instead a Light Cruiser showing his army for an Imperial is small so he needs to beef things up. I would like to see other rival Remnants make appearances that are not tied to Gideon but maybe have their own agendas and want to take his territory and resources forcing a temporary alliance if the threat seems more dangerous than Gideon himself.

I don't know if he'll show up directly next episode but given we're near the midway point and we don't have any new footage anything could happen we don't know what to expect so that'll be exciting to see. I imagine people will find spoilers tougher to navigate.

3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    [​IMG]

"Long live the Empire."

4. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I would love to see thrawn, Gideon, and Sloan trying to fight over a power vacuum left by the empire. that would be a lot more interesting than what we're getting right now with Gideon which is him twirling his power rangers mustache, with a horrible CGI Saber attached to his side.

As y'all know I'm actually really enjoying the show especially the lore but so far Gideon really has done nothing for me. So I hope everybody is right and they about to put something in play that makes me care about the Empire at all as a threat or just an entity in general

5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    With Thrawn still lost in the Unknown Regions, I feel like Gideon is playing in this series as something of a "remake" of old EU post-RotJ Thrawn. Different character and personality, of course, but the main figure leading some splinter faction of the Empire that we are watching our core characters deal with. Didn't old EU Thrawn even have some Dark Troopers, or am I mistaken?

Anyways, I really can't wait to see Thrawn step more out into the spotlight - I adore Giancarlo Esposito and have been very interested in all of his machinations up to this point. And all of that is boiling over now to the point where I feel like he is about to really explode onto the scene and make himself known for what he truly can unleash. That tracking device on the Razor Crest right now is bad news for Din and the Child...

6. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

Star Wars: Squadron tells us Thrawn was still missing after Operation: Cinder, Sloane was promoted to Grand Admiral by Rax and the Rebellion had become the New Republic. They made three more Starhawks after Star Wars: Squadrons before the battle of Jakku and the formal declaration of surrender of Mas Amedda so Thrawn has a little bit of time in canon to link back up with his fleet and then abscond with it, but doesn't have a lot of time left. So more likely he just has the Chimaera.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looking at that poster I can't help but notice how evocative of Vader's look it is. Vader was the boogeyman of the Empire, so makes sense Gideon would want to emulate his look to hammer home that key function of the Empire's outreach- fear.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Palleon says his ships are just gone, so we can assume he stll has some ships from his fleet.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  9. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    He even has the same buttons as Vader on the chest there ;). I assume they don't operate any critical functions on his suite.

Edit:
    Well, not quite the same but still.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He's just looks like's wearing similar attire as Imperial Inquisitors and Imperial military style armor. Vader's armor was derived from Sith controlled Republic-Imperial military/Inquisitor-esque gear, and the Inquisitors were already active while Vader was getting rebuilt. Ribbed leather-like material bits and pieces was worn by Republic and Imperial personnel body suits even, so all would've been pretty standard looking stuff. And I think Imperials were pretty used to seeing and being lead by types similarly dressed as him and carrying lightsabers for decades by now.

Gideon's concept art, he more wears the more common Imperial officer and Inquisitor red piping style uniform and belt:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  11. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Well we now know he has at least one Arquitens at his disposal, and it appears to be his flagship at least for now.

Snafu55 likes this.
  12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    that might not even be his flagship, but a research vessel.

Snafu55 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

Master Cado Afu and LedReader like this.
  14. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    That's why I said "appears to be", because it was just a teaser at the end of the episode and we don't have a lot of information yet. They wouldn't be contradicting anything if they revealed it wasn't his flagship, that's just the vibe that was given so far, and it would make sense in-universe that he either doesn't have an actual Star Destroyer or he at least doesn't want anyone to know about it if he does.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    My opinion is that I don't think Gideon is going to form, or already is forming, the First Order. I just think he's a fanatic lover of the Empire who refuses to admit they're no longer in power. We've seen it throughout history, so there's no doubt it would also happen in the SW galaxy. However, I do think that the entire series, eventually, will lay the foundations for the First Order.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The First Order is a creation of Ray Sloane which eventually Snoke takes over. It's probably all a part of Sheev's grand backup plan. Gideon can have nothing to do with The First Order, manufacture Snoke for Palpatine, and then Snoke takes over The First Order as Sheev's vanguard for his Final Order. It's stupid elaborate, but this is what the disjunction of the ST has left producers to deal with. Gideon can also be doing all of this for himself, but he seems pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of the fallen Empire. I like the idea of an operative of Palpatine still operating within the known regions of the GFFA. With Palpatine's survival, not every Imperial in a position of power needs to attempt to grab power for themselves.

17. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    As someone that doesn't read the EU material (I'm currently reading Dark Disciple, but that is only because it is based on TCW scripts that were lost in the shuffle when the series was canceled so I see that more as just a additional piece of TCW narrative), every time I see more about the background of the First Order, and then see that TRoS just basically threw it all away by coming out of nowhere and declaring that it was actually Palpatine's "Final Order" the whole time, I get a headache.

I am far from in love with the TFA/TLJ take on the First Order, but at least what those first two installments seemed to be trying to do was more interesting than Palpatine's Empire 2.0.

I really, really hope that Gideon's remnant remains just that... a remnant, and that he doesn't have any future connections to the First/Final Order. Watching these elements of The Mandalorian play out are so much more interesting than the resurrected Palpatine stuff.

obi_kenobi_24 likes this.
  18. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    A new Entertainment Weekly article...

The Moff Gideon actor on his character's season 2 journey, his new Darth Vader-like armor, and that Baby Yoda egg-eating debate.

Not much, but I liked this...
    ...it's like, "Okay, this better be good."

Oh, and...

Kowakian Kebab and MrDarth0 like this.
  19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    He's gonna whip out the boxcutter...

godisawesome likes this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If those dark troopers are indeed a reference to the Expanded Universe troopers Kyle Katarn fought, and Gideon once again gives a dramatic speech/history lesson about what he’s going to do if Mando doesn’t give up the baby, I expect it to go something like this:

“I have with me a squadron of Dark Troopers. If you are unfamiliar with them, Dark Troopers were commissioned by the Imperial Army after the destruction of the first Death Star. A single dark trooper has enough firepower to melt your Beskar armor; the first prototypes were among that forces that took part in the Purge of Mandalore. Unfortunately, the project was sabotaged by Rebel agents and later sidelined due to financing related to the ongoing construction of second Death Star. Fortunately, the second Death Star no longer exists, and money is of no concern to me.”

21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The Darktroopers are droids. The experiments using the Child's blood all ended in failure and reading between the lines they (the Clones) all died within two weeks. The Darktroopers with Gideon can not have 'artificially generated Force sensitivity' as that would indicate the experiment succeeded.

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Moff Gideon: The Evil Ric Olie.

BigAl6ft6, DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This is hilarious. Esposito needs to read it aloud at some point, even if there’s nothing like it in the show. Let’s make it happen.

Force Smuggler and Grey Matter like this.
  24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Dark Empire regime used Dark troopers whom were Dark Side imbued Stormtroopers(not to confused with the Force imbued Dark Jedi-Stormtrooper hybrid Shadowtroopers of Jedi Knight II game.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_trooper_(stormtrooper)

The things on the show look like robotic versions of Death Troopers, perhaps something more akin to the Purge Trooper(TFU) that was later turned into the Dark Trooper(Commander). Which in some ways gives Gideon some superficial similarities to Rom Mohc and his army of battle droid Dark Troopers and this series a certain Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise similarity.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So Grand Admiral outranks Moff, right? (Assuming Gideon isn't also a Grand Moff that we don't know about). Cuz ranking is suddenly important.

I'm either thinking Gideon is reporting to Palpatine on a coat rack on Exegol, or the First Order, or Thrawn. Or he could be an independent agent. Some of Espositio's interview quotes seem to imply he has a boss though.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.