main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.04 - Chapter 12 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 19, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 27, 2020.
  1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

34.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

0.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Thanks, that makes much more sense. It must have been that line from Cara that made me think that she was pointing to the other side of a transparent hologram and that the globe then span around to show the base on our near side (making it larger). I guess it just zoomed in to show the base instead.

2. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    If Gideon's true motivation for hunting down Baby Yoda is reviving Palpatine... that's a huge misfire for me. and i only speak for myself. I was really of the mind Gideon would be a man with his own desires and motivations outside of reviving the dead guy who led the Empire. I'd be far more interested in a Gideon who is motivated to take control of the Empire remnants himself and for his reasons alone. I'm so over the dead Palpatine isn't dead plot. I'd also much rather they bring back Thrawn and bring him into live action rather than making Snoke the main villain of this show.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Credit to PopCultReviews on Reddit:
    [​IMG]

4. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Likes x10!

5. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    I think Greef’s changing attitude about Navarro can be summed up in the old question: do you want a large piece of a small pie or a small piece of a large one? Greef seems to have answered this with the realization that growing Navarro, even if it risks his having somewhat less control (and that isn’t certain), is bound to make him way more money. In other words, taking a small piece from a larger Navarro pie is much more lucrative than taking a huge chunk from the small community that was there before. That’s just my $.02

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Watched this episode again, and man was it good. I think it’s now my favorite of the season. Much better than I initially thought.

Deliveranze, Sproj, mnjedi and 5 others like this.
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked this episode. More on point to the story this show should be telling.

Less peripheral fan service.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. Bringing Palpy back in the ST was one the worst if not THE worst part of the ST so connecting Palpy’s return to the main plot of The Mandalorian would be a massive disappointment to me.

They should make this about Gideon’s interest in gaining power and not a retroactive explanation for how Palpy came back.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    A small thing I love is the dust particles in the shot of the TIE pilot at 28:20. It helps to show that the base hadn't had much activity for a while, and I think it's a cool visual detail -- it adds character, in a way.

AndyLGR and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figured the First Order was the product of angry young fascists. Hux and so forth.
    The children of the old Imperials. Low level officers who jumped at a chance to take over things.

And there were a few older officers, such as Captain Canady, who stepped over into the new system but they aren't the creators and rulers.

When Baby Yoda's son Snoke arrives in Season 3 or 4, then the First Order will become more obvious.

11. aewhistory

Nov 17, 2019
    Already have mine on preorder. The real question is: what’s his back story? Is he a Terran spy? Is that sophisticated spy gear on his wrist? And how did the imperials not notice him? He has a cloaking device, doesn’t he?

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    There'll be heaps of guys partially standing behind doorways at the next Celebration.

13. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    The conversation about between that New Republic soldier and Cara Dune was better world building about the state of the galaxy than we got in the entire sequel trilogy.

This show just keeps getting better and better. Episodic storytelling with very slow burn overarching narrative. I hope they keep making this thing for years to come it's the best live action Star Wars since at least Rogue One.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Same with his conversation with Greef. Local denizens of the Outer Rim not cooperating with the new authorities, etc, is played kind of, sort of, comedically in that scene. But the consequences of it, as we know, are devastating. That attitude helps keep the New Republic from establishing a firm foothold across the Outer Rim, and that helps pave the way for ex-Imperials, and eventually the First Order, to fill the power vacuum. If only JJ had given even a glancing thought to the sociopolitical dynamics of the galaxy, we might’ve had a very different and more satisfying ST. Ah well. Better late than never.

15. aewhistory

Nov 17, 2019
    I feel like I’m a trailblazer. I’m always creepily standing sort of out of sight in doorways and now I have a Star Wars character! They got the name wrong though; most everyone called me “go away creep”.

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I liked seeing the aftermath of Nevarro. I can't recall seeing a reconstruction period after a large conflict, especially such a short time later. Plus it offered a pretty natural way to bring the supporting cast back into the fold for this season. The crew must have had a blast filming in those classic Imperial-style corridors. Those visual clues are always a great callback.

People on Twitter are going on about the female Imperial officer, but I think they miss the point; the Empire aren't supposed to be good people that you can relate to. It was a conscious decision to have no diversity amongst their ranks in the films. Are we supposed to infer post-Palpatine Empire are less evil and more diverse? That's not even a facetious question, that could very well be something to be explored.

Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  17. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    No, it wasn't. The Alliance didn't originally have diversity in it's ranks either. That's just casting in Hollywood in the 70s. They didn't allow aliens, but that they outlawed women and people that aren't white in the military is in an invention of the EU, one that doesn't hold up very well given who Palpatine selected as template for his entire clone army. We see women of color serve the Empire before Endor in the new canon, Iden Versio, Rae Sloane, Yrica Quell. With this lady, they cast someone with a martial arts background, which likely means we'll see her throw down at some point. Which we don't get often enough from Imperial staff officers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  18. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Leia? I mean I get what you're saying, but the case of typical Hollywood casting only holds up for the first film. Return of the Jedi really successfully shows the dichotomy though between the different types of actors and even aliens versus no change in diversity amongst the Empire. If they wanted to show a variety of genders and alien species in the Empire, they had no excuse not to do it in Return of the Jedi. I'm not going by an in-universe EU explanation, just the observable symbolism created by the filmmakers. The Legacy Revealed documentary interprets this as a distinct lack of purity and life among the ranks of the Empire.

xezene and Sarge like this.
  19. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Leia and Mon Mothma do not have ranks like general or captain, commander in the Rebel Alliance like Luke, Han and Lando do. They could have. The filmmakers choose not to do this. Lando, the only black guy in the Original Trilogy, happens to throw in the Rebels instead of the Empire, that's the extent of the difference as far as humans go.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  20. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I think that's a more minute detail to linger on as opposed to the fact that there are women with speaking roles and even just walking around in the background. That alone is a considerable difference to absolutely no women and aliens in the Empire. Lando being the only black character in the OT with a speaking role is a given, but it still counts for something. Also, I don't think you're accounting for all the aliens as well. Plenty of them populating the background of briefing scenes, as well as sizable screen time for Ackbar and Nien Numb.

Sarge likes this.
  21. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    That no aliens are part of the Imperial military I accept, the military, that is, that doesn't mean they don't exist in the Empire at all, that it needs to be considered an imperial law that only white men serve in the imperial military, while the Republic, where the imperial military is directly handed down from is allowed to march on from previous characterisations in movies seems pointless to me. We see that clones serve on Republic ships with their helmets off in the Clone Wars. How soon after Empire Day do you feel that went from the routine to illegal?

22. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    As far as the average audience is concerned, I don't anticipate many people getting hung up on these types of things. It's a very simplistic notion that the audience can subliminally understand diversity = good, no diversity = bad.

I think it's a good point that Clones can be seen with their helmets off and Stormtroopers never are. We see Clones personalize their armor and add color to their uniform, while none of that exists within the Stormtroopers. They're all faceless and not meant to have personalities or stand out. So if you're asking if I think the Empire's use and attitude towards their soldiers is more evil and dystopian, I'd say yes - and that's by design.

Sarge likes this.
  23. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    It's not a matter of allowing to change your uniform. I mean, the bridge crew themselves, whose standard uniforms do not include helmets that hide their face, were also clones that looked like Temuara Morrison. Then Order 66 happened and I assume those Imperial ships weren't just left unmanned. When did that become illegal in the Empire in your mind?

24. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    It's interesting that people assume women can't be supporters of fascism like men. We saw how many white women voted for Trump in 2020, so the idea that merely being female makes the Empire less evil means that people don't understand that a destructive ideology can be implanted in anyone, no matter their race or gender. That's why skin color isn't always necessarily a marker of diversity or tolerance, as many try to assert. It really has much more to do with the beliefs a person holds. An obvious example of this comes from slavery, where slave holders taught slaves to believe slavery was a just system -- because slaves believed this didn't mean slavery was good or diverse.

25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I got the impression that she's a True Believer.
    I don't know if we will ever see her again, but if we do then I could imagine her in the future First Order.
    Moff Gideon however... they wont have much use for him.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.