main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I imagine this one will have a Zoom roundtable instead. Or an outdoor, distanced chat. Either way, I’m really happy it’s back.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Wilhuff's Slippers and bstnsx704 like this.
  2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I thought given how the year had played out they wouldn’t be able to do what they did last year but I’m stoked either way. Season 1 was fantastic if not just for the anecdotes and Filoni geeking out the whole time.

Again that’s literally every book, film, show. You need complications, roadblocks and setbacks. It happens in everything from Lord of the Rings to The Sopranos.

The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I could see Cobb helping Mando out at the end of the season and him briefly getting the armor back to combat the Darktroopers.He will be captured by Moff Gideon and interrogated.Then Moff Gideon will hire Boba Fett to track Mando down using the information given to him by Cobb and will get his armor back.

4. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I actually like TRB from what I've seen so far. I've also been going to Star Wars Explained, The Imperial Senate, and Star Wars Refuge / Port Haven (though they had an issue with the video from their latest Mando stream).

The Senate likes this.
  5. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    This is why I think it’s best Favreau and Filoni steer clear of the ST and Snoke and all that nonsense. It forces the show to have to fit an endgame just like how RJ was forced to write a reason for Luke Skywalker disappearing for almost a decade while his sister, best friend, and the galaxy at large suffered from a genocidal empirical regime that is essentially as awful as the one he helped bring down years earlier. Mandalorian deserves the freedom to tell its own story, and the onus should not be on the Mandalorian writers to explain who the hell Snoke is or how freaking Palpatine came back from the dead.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I am sure Disney\Lucasfilm are more than Happy for Favreau and Filoni to explain the ST.

RetropME and Vader Bob like this.
  7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    That doesn't mean that Favreau and Filoni want to use the story that they created to explain someone else's story...

dick rodgers and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  8. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Speaking of Dave Filoni, it'll be funny if we get a Trapper Wolf appearance in the Ahsoka episode. :cool:

Will he be able to help himself?

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But they are working for Disney\Lucasfilm.

10. shaak fett

shaak fett Jedi Padawan

Aug 8, 2020
    GL should also have a cameo role.

11. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    They seem to be operating with pretty much full autonomy over this particular project, however. Maybe that might change in the future, who knows, but right now nothing at all about The Mandalorian reeks of them being kept on a tight leash or being forced by higher ups to check off certain boxes.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yet, it appears that is exactly what they are doing.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Don’t know if anyone posted this yet but the nerd from Den of Nerds says Thrawn will be mentioned in the next episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
  14. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Would be interesting if true. It’s definitely plausible.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
    Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Hey, uhhh, once again... can we please keep leaks/rumors from episodes that haven't aired yet hidden under spoiler tags please? I really don't want to log on here and potentially have something that won't even air for another three days plastered in front of my face.

B3 and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Just imagine the Temeura Morrison bts

18. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    LFL isn't going to demand that F and F "explain" the ST. F and F might be inspired to connect to some elements, but they are going to focus on telling their story. Just because some fans want certain aspects explained and connected doesn't mean they're going to primarily focus on that -- especially because some things either don't need to be explained or can't be explained.

For example, Luke's radically different characterization can't be explained in The Mandalorian. It could possibly be addressed in a Luke show, but even then, it's doubtful many fans who disliked Luke's ST portrayal would get behind this, and such a show would mostly be for them, for explaining and justification of Rian Johnson's arbitrary, non-organic storytelling.

Even things like Snoke and the Emperor don't really need much explanation. Snoke was a clone. Done. Palpatine lived through some absurd plot contrivance. The First Order aren't aware of the Sith Eternal -- why would we even investigate that at all? Showing that one group doesn't know about another is kind of boring. Now if the Sith Eternal or whatever were actually actively involved in significant events openly, that might be interesting, but that's not the story.

I would argue that Star Wars needs to return to character based storytelling, and ignore all this shallow external plot linking. It's not what makes storytelling powerful. To know how something happens can sometimes be interesting, but it's not the emotional beat of narrative.

19. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I have a feeling Disney will use the whole "Mandalore mythology" as escape route to the ST bad taste and poor narrative decisions.
    In the third episode Boka-tan said she wants to rule Mandalore and Mando replied the planet was cursed and destroyed, so anyone who goes there, dies.
    She replied it wasn't true.
    So i believe moving forward, the mandalorians will regain control over the planet and stabilsih their civilization and ways back, BUT THAT WILL REMAIN A SECRET, because most of people in GFFA will still believe the planet still inhospitable and nobody lives there.
    So, nor the New Republic or the First Order will pay atention to what's really happening.
    And that so opens the possibility to lot of things including a new Jedi Order being created there by Ahsoka as the founder and The Child as the future lead without having going through the Exegol/First/Final Order nonsense.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  20. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    The Clone Wars was able to elaborate and (in my opinion) managed to smooth over some of the flaws of the prequel trilogy (namely by enriching Anakin’s character). It managed to do this, however, because it dealt with the same characters, was in a looser anthology format, and occurred smack dab in the middle of the trilogy. The Mandalorian is its own story with its own characters. If it becomes turned into a lore dump for the Sequel trilogy it will run into the same problem I had regarding what Rebels did for the Clone Wars. Namely, the story tries to be its own thing with its own core cast and characters whilst simultaneously trying to up loose ends from another story leading to a disjointed end product. I’d like to see a TCW to enhance the Sequel Trilogy. I just do t think the Mandalorian is the right vehicle for that.

21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My gut feeling here is that Favreau is just interested in doing some cool stuff and riffing on film tropes in a SW setting, and Filoni's investment is more, as it always has been, in the side stories and ongoing galactic history that's offscreen in the Saga. Some deride that as "the Filoni-verse" but it also picks up plenty of threads planted by others. I think it's most instructive to look at the finale of TCW, and to a lesser extent Rebels: both take all the side plots and characters in play right up to the point of the "big films" but what they focus on and resolve are the stories started outside of the films. In both cases they dance around the films but don't jam their characters or subplots *into* the film narratives -- in fact they take our knowledge of the bigger story for granted as they unfold.

Now, I'lll give you that the PT and OT have fewer things that *need* explaining than the ST, but Filoni narratives are rarely there to just say "and that's why that happened or did't happen in the film". Very occasionally -- inhibitor chips, Sifo-Dyas, Maul needing to be dead again -- but those play roles within their own narratives. I can't see "and that's how we got Snoke about whom no one will go on to care about anyway" is a key thing that's going to do anything for the story of The Mandalorian itself, so I'm betting against it.

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I hope so. I'll likely cheer out loud, if true!!

TadoFett likes this.
  23. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    If it was mentioned it would have to be for the purpose of building this story though. I don’t want an off handed mention of an important thing/person/event that doesn’t impact the story further down the line directly otherwise it just comes off as unnecessary fan service.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  24. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Agreed, mostly.

The motivations of characters is something I consider to be necessary story building. This includes the main characters, of course, but also the side characters. I would think this 'possible mention' could very well be towards explaining the circumstances and intentions of the 'guest' character beyond implied to be returning for episode 13.

Regardless, it will likely come off as 'fan service' to some. But, if it is used toward explaining the actions (or planned actions) of this cast, I think it's perfectly applicable. Which could be for the heroes and their allies or the villains in this case. Also, as Star Wars is a broad yet interconnected galaxy, mentions of other unseen parts are hardly out of line, I think. There was plenty of this in the very first Star Wars movie, and all SW since.

As a fan dating back to the birth of the EU ( and the portions now called 'Legends') being my favorite part, I've literally been waiting for this moment since 1992. Like, going in to the PT movies expecting some form of capitalization on it, and being supremely disappointed when they did nothing of the sort. So, I'm quite biased as to my hopes for deeper connective tissue like mentioned in the spoiler.

25. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Someone from Den of Nerds is doubling down hard on the leaks Reddit regarding the rumours for this weeks episode.

KRT are also hyping it up so my guess is the scoop is as likely to happen as Mando revealing himself as Mace Windu resurrected.

It’d be nice if these individuals held themselves accountable when they got a scoop wrong.

As an aside I really love the weekly releases.