main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2020 / November Word Race! - Ready ... Set ... WRITE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Oct 20, 2020.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I finished the holiday vignette that bit out of nowhere, bringing my total up to 10 733. But I tried to work on my long-fic but nope, nothing. Muse is being very stubborn. However I had a bunch of things I had to do this week, and we are back on lock down, so maybe it will start cooperating again.

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Smarm alert! In my office, I put up a Hallmark card quote:

Covid-19 has blessed us with:

Time to dream of who we can be ...
    Time to believe that we can become our best selves ...
    Time to laugh at our humanness ...
    Time to relax and enjoy just being ...
    Time to dance to our own tune, in our own time ...
    Time to come through this with renewed
    strength, hope, clarity and determination.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey, I've got few complaints about the whole situation. Sure I miss some things, but what other time in recent history could you help save humanity by staying home and doing absolutely nothing. Not trying to make light of the very scary situation (especially in other places where the government doesn't have their poop in a group), but when else have I had the opportunity to do guilt-free writing marathons or netflix binges?

4. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I take the situation seriously because to me, it's like living under martial law only tanks aren't chugging up and down my street. :(

But back OT, more pruning hurts! Oh those lovely OCs, now languishing in limbo ...:_| 0 words today, I'm afraid.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= For any who are being productive and @};- for those who are frustrated. :eek:

6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Two-thirds of the way through the month, currently on page 207. Figure ~41,000 words. Finally where I want to be, under 1,000 words per day for the home stretch.

7. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The index has been updated! It's so wonderful to see so many still going strong, whether that progress be in single sentences or whole heaps of pages! [:D]

NOT SILLY AT ALL!!! To the contrary, this brought a big ol' smile to my face and I wanted to particularly applaud your progress. Words are words, and should always be celebrated. [face_dancing] [face_love]

Wowzers! That's absolutely amazing!! Hang in there as you close in on the finish line, and best of luck! [face_dancing] :D

As for myself, RL was RL again this week, and I hardly wrote anything. But this weekend I was able to sit down and churn out a few thousand words and finish the next update for my OTP story, bringing my total up to 12,542 words. (I'm honestly still shocked that my muse is letting me throw so many words at one project - it's been years since she's been content to work on a single long-fic like this. But, I'll take it!)

Keep up the mighty fine work, everyone! [face_dancing] [:D]

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    794 words on the WIP for 2820 words! Astounded that I'm this close to my goal! :eek:

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb and yay, us readers are the blessed ones in that regard. :D

11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    So Friday night, with help from some early/mid 2000s pop songs and a bit of booze, I managed to write over 1000 words of smutty trash. Then today, without the booze, I wrote over 1000 words of non-smutty trash in 3 different fandoms! [face_dancing]

No editing, no stressing at all, just letting the words (and typos) pour onto the screen in all their repetitious, unfiltered glory - the same way I've told myself stories in my head for as long as I can remember, the same way I used to write when I was like 13 and first discovering fanfiction. I know I'll fall into the perfectionism-anxiety trap again, but maybe if I keep reminding myself that the overenthusiastic 13-year-old fangirl is still there and still has stories to tell, the next time will be a little less painful.

Anyway, my total word count is now up to 2781, and I still have a bottle of my favorite wine that I haven't even opened, so maybe I can make my goal this month after all! [face_tee_hee]:p

Big hugs for everyone here and all the love and support, and congratulations on everyone's progress! =D=[face_love]

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Up to 6292 words all up. Don't think I will get there but I can try...

Between marking, drafting and having bad stuff go down at work (because everyone wants to hear two managers being nasty about them over zoom!), life hasn't exactly given me much space to write.

*sigh*

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh dear. I want to learn zoom for a family 'get together' on this Thursday ... is there a filter to filter out disagreeing people?[face_peace] And 6292, go you!:leia:

14. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Current total stands at 1972, which is about half my ideal word count. Not likely to make it all the way to 4,000, but this month did see two stories finished, a third within a few paragraphs of a completed first draft, and two scenes written on a fourth. Hoping to get that third story completely finished, but even so, it's been a successful writing experiment.

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Awesome to see people continuing to take strides toward achieving their goals for this November.

Definitely don't get discouraged as we approach the home stretch of the month. You never know when you might find the time to write even if it seems like you'll be totally busy and booked, and you never know when inspiration might pay an unexpected visit!

Keep up the good work, everyone! Every word and sentence written is great progress=D=

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Totals have been updated.

I'm currently sitting at 12401 but honestly, a lot of that has been blog stuff. My creative Muse is just completely stuck. Like writer's block of the purest definition. And I've been in the mood to write, which is the frustrating part (and hence why I've been really going at my blog stuff). I've tried several times to go back to my Schitt's Creek fic but I think that plot bunny was just one of those plot bunnies that burned bright and hot but not for very long. I kinda want to return to West Wing but I just have no ideas.

But if wave 1 of this pandemic taught me anything it's not to force anything creatively. It just leads to frustration. If I just leave my muse alone it will come back on it's own eventually.

17. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    10,242! Which means I actually met my goal of 10,000 words. :eek: [face_dancing] Of course, I hardly wrote any of the things I actually meant to write, and now I have an AU of an AU that wants to consume me, but I'll take the win. :p Obviously I'm not doing the full NaNo, but I'm glad I got to this point before Thanksgiving, because any other time I've attempted NaNo, I've always completely stalled out as soon as the holiday hits.

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Let it. Your muse is on a roll!!!!:D Congratulations!

19. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    @pronker I just might let it! It's been a fun little diversion for sure. And thanks! :D

20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    4141 total as of today. This may just be doable ... [face_good_luck]

A Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful progress, people! Keep it up! =D=

So, I am now at an even 3400. Now that there is less than a week left in the month, I am not holding my breath about making it all the way to 5000, but I’ll do what I can, when I can, and that will get me somewhere. Which is, after all, the main point!

Happy US Thanksgiving to those celebrating, and a wonderful end of the week to all. :)

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope everyone in the US had a good Thanksgiving.

I made it to 13454. A lot of that was on a blog post I don't know I'll post. BUUUUTTT about 500 was on a new vignette. I like the plot bunny but I'm not sure I like the approach I took. I'll have to think on it some more.

So close! I think a 1500 weekend is feasible, but I don't know if the muse will cooperate.

23. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I'm marking this thanksgiving with victory! 256 pages, the whole blasted journal filled with horrendously illegible scrawl to lock down a solid 51,000 words. Success!

...is a fleeting feeling. I'm only near the end of act 2 of the novel (I think I have a roughly 3 act structure going). Need to go buy another journal tomorrow.

24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Woot! I wrote a whopping 281 words this week! Not much, but enough to put me over my goal; now at 3101 words :D

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

Yay!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020