main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What is Joe Biden’s plan to get the 40% percent of Americans who are not sure about getting the vaccine shot when some do become available?

About 63 percent want to be vaccinated. Not all of those who don’t want to be vaccinated are trump supporters.

We need 80% of Americans to get vaccinated to heard immunity.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He’s going to have Chuck Schumer run down the streets with a syringe gun full of vaccines, firing wildly. Everyone who gets hit will be charged $500 to cover the costs.

3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Does Biden have plan to get some of those who are not sure about getting vaccinated to change there minds?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I just called Biden. He said “if anyone refuses the vaccine, I’ll come round your house and sniff your wife’s hair”.

Coruscant, B3, Point Given and 9 others like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Listen, Jack, you're gonna get this vaccine; because if you don't, you and me are gonna have a problem. And you know how we used to settle problems back in Delaware? No, no, see, this is how we used to do things. This one guy back in Claymont, his name was Don, he had long hair, didn't want to cut it, and guys just didn't have long hair back then. So we had to deal with this guy. So I grabbed him and said, listen, Don, you're gonna get your hair cut; because if you don't, you and me are gonna have a problem. And you know how we used to settle problems back in Scranton? Well he didn't know either, so I had to tell him the story of this one kid back in Scranton, his name was Jim, and he was afraid of the dentist. So I grabbed Jim, and I told him, this is how we do things in Scranton. If you don't go to the dentist, me and Rizzo are going to get a pair of pliers and pry your teeth out ourselves. How's that sound, Jim? So this Don, he got the message, and he went down to the barber shop and got his hair cut. And that's how we're gonna handle this vaccine.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So good.

@TCF-1138 how’s the rona treating you today?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's not too bad today. Fever is lower, at 37,9 degrees (Celsius obviously) which is a lot better than a few days ago. Still got a persistent cough, but no trouble breathing or discoloration of the lips or anything like that.
    Most of the body aches are gone too, which might have been the worst of the earlier symptoms. (seriously, the pain in my legs during the first few days was excruciating). I'm at one week of being sick now, which - if I've understood it correctly - is when most people either start to get better, or take a turn for the worse. So I guess we'll see in which group I am.

Can't say I recommend getting this virus.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    How big can Big Mink be? They only get up to like 7 pounds.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    To clarify, I'm not wedded to the wet market origin. It's just that I take it a lot more seriously than implications the virus originated in a PRC bioweapons lab or whatever the WHO is supposed to be covering up.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That’s because you’re unaware of Big Mink’s efforts to use a combination of genetic engineering and nuclear radiation to create a race of twelve story tall atomic super minks, capable of spreading coronaviruses to entire continents in mere hours.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The wet market origin seems possible, and certainly more credible than some of the crazy stuff, but there's a lot of places where a virus can jump from animal to person, and enough to suggest that it was elsewhere. I don't think we need to rush to an answer on that when the gist is somewhat understood as it stands now

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think he is more focused now on ensuring that states have the funding for distribution than trying to sell people on getting the vaccine.

Hopefully he will have scientists and doctors speak about its safety and efficiency, maybe hold a Q&A or a few Q&As to address specific concerns that people might have. That won’t convince the nutters who think Random Screaming Dude on YouTube is just as credible as multiple people with PhDs or MDs, but should help alleviate concerns that reasonable people might have about a new vaccine.

Right; I’m hoping to the possibility that the animal to human transmission might have happened elsewhere. Just not to any conspiracy theories.

Hope you feel better @TCF-1138 .

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It might be easier and more effective to simply rename the vaccine "the Patriot shot" or "the Freedom-maker" or something low-brow but patriotic.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was thinking of those who might be wary of a new vaccine but are not Trump supporters. :p

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Honestly the best thing might be to have a special where celebs get the vaccine. Sound dumb? When Elvis got the polio vaccine on TV, vaccination rates took a huge jump.

Coruscant, BigAl6ft6, mnjedi and 5 others like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Geraldo was already saying we need to call this the Trump Vaccine as a way to honor him. Ugh.... But yeah. I don't even know if Trump taking the vaccine on live tv, calling it the Trump Vaccine, or the Freedom Vaccine, would get his supporters to take it. You'd probably have to throw in a free pick-up truck. Or a Trump flag at the very least.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Have Ilhan Omar go on TV and say that Trump supporters shouldn't take the vaccine.

Coruscant, Ghost, B3 and 15 others like this.
  18. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I was wondering when you'll intervene. But thanks for still having allowed me to testify in this kangaroo court.

Meanwhile, Canadians may be forced to wait longer for vaccines against Covid-19, despite the fact that the federal government already bought millions of doses, since production and distribution will happen first in countries such as the U.S. or Great-Britain before other countries. This brings back the issue regarding local production, domestic supplies and distribution of strategic products as medical equipements, since Canada not longer has a laboratory able to produce doses of vaccines locally:

19. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Yeah, we keep trying to fight this pandemic with logic and keep failing miserably. Gotta go for the emotional jugular. If only there was a large group of healthy, non-essential people who often act as spokespersons to get the public to buy in to the vaccines...

Wait, there are! My order of go:

- professional athletes
    - entertainers
    - randomly everyone else except healthcare and under puberty children
    - healthcare
    - under puberty children

You keep the people you need most last. Just in case.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Such a public relations stunt would be spun into some QAnon thing by the deniers. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You're never gonna reach the QAnon people. But there ARE people who aren't sure about the vaccine yet who are not in that group.

Juliet316, blackmyron, Luke02 and 2 others like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think politicians getting it will help as well but Trump will refuse saying he is "immune" (not true obviously) and the entire family will follow suit therefore a lot of MAGA morons will follow suit. But a lot of them weren't going to get it anyway so really as @solojones points out who they really need to persuade is many of my colleagues at school who say they will get it "but want wait a bit to make sure it's safe". That is why while Dr. Slaoui has planned for spring which he talked about today:

simply might not happen at least not that fast. Plus I just don't see how we vaccinate 110 million people between December and May when it took us 8 months just to run over 100 million tests! I really do not see the bulk of the vaccines happening until the summer as really this is going to last until late summer/fall of next year...and that if things go well.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll be getting the vaccine - however if the priority list suggestion I've seen in the UK press is accurate my age group won't be til 5th or 6th on the list.

black_saber likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Here in Florida, Governor DeSantis is sinultaneously touting upcoming vaccines while assuring citizens it will in no way be required, while working to ram through legislation to shield businesses from liability.
    Meanwhile, one organization is still proceeding with a lawsuit to stop Florida from making it mandatory to vaccinate children, despite the state in no way giving any sign they will. "Just in case", they are saying.
    Bat**** insane.

Pensivia likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am in group 1b for Missouri, so I really ought to ask my doctor about the process once a vaccine is approved.