main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think this could maybe be one of the spin offs, maybe the Ahsoka one. There have been rumors of a Thrawn live action for a while. I think the rebels follow up is probaly still being made but has been rewritten with animation characters coming to live action and back to animation.

2. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Looks-wise I always pictured Thrawn more similar to Mads Mikkelsen than big bro, but sadly he's already Star Warsed once. I vote Jason Isaacs.

TadoFett and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, put my vote in for Mads Mikkelsen for a live-action Thrawn.

And I didn't realize how much I missed Hannibal until just now. One of the few TV shows that I watch/watched; I'm basically a CNN/MSNBC and ESPN guy, maybe a little Law & Order, but not much of anything else on TV.

But an Ahsoka show with Thrawn and Ezra... yes, please. And I only know Thrawn through Rebels because I never read the novels, but Rebels was enough. And yeah, throw in Sabine, and Hera and Jacen, and you got yourself a show.

EDIT: Dave Filoni will do this or a Plo Koon show, one or the other. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    whostheBossk and TadoFett like this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Correction Lars Mikkelsen, I din't think Mads has that Thrawn voice. And Lars is among on of the best tv actors if you watch Sherlock of house of cards. I could see Thrawn as big baddie for Ahsoka. He's smarter then everybody else and only thing that might stop him is the force. I can see his future stories coming in both live action and animation.

5. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    No podcasts, really. I've been working from home all year (and we're pretty much going to be doing that all next year too), so I just throw up a YouTube channel on one of my monitors and half-listen to that while I'm working.

But yeah, The Resistance Broadcast I watch every week. And watch their live Mando show when I get around to it. (Ha. And John Hooey irritating to you... ) :cool:

Most of the channels that I watch are the live roundtables (sometimes live, but usually early on a Saturday morning or something when I'm not doing anything), I don't really watch a straight review of the episodes.

I watch Corey and the guy's live roundtables. And Steele War's. I watch Josh from Den of Nerds and Star Wars Theory's Monday night show, Nerd Theory. And also Josh's Den of Nerds live daily show; he mostly talks about Marvel and DC which I don't really pay much attention to because I don't follow Marvel and DC, but when he talks Star Wars I listen. I also watch the Star Wars Explained live roundtables.

I think that may be it... when Kristian Harloff does something Star Wars I'll watch because he's usually entertaining to me. John Campea sometimes when he talks Star Wars; I miss the Collider Jedi Council days.

6. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    holy **** i didnt realize i needed this.

John Campea hates Ahsoka because he has some undercover sexism in him that he hasnt come to terms with. You'll never get a real or legitimate reason for why he hates the character because its rooted in nonsense. I cant watch the guy talk SW because he sits there with his wife live on show and talks about how hot certain actors are right in front of her. thats not the end of the world but its nauseating in my opinion. Harloff is a good dude though and knows his SW.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Im kinda sad the Harloff/Campea podcast only lasted 3 episdoeds. I now listen to the resistance one, kessel run, Mark Reiley who is a big TLJ and ST fan. I always enjoy when he invites in Ken napzok. Also the force center is good.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Looks perfect. Doesn’t have to look much like the Rebels cartoon to be effective. Here, he looks properly alien, intelligent and ruthless. And gaunt in just the right way. I wouldn’t put an ounce of prosthetics on him.

9. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Yup, right with you on Campea, he gives off proper chode vibes.

not a fan of Harloff either, but that developed over time, just got sick of hearing him repeat the same old bollocks about the EU/Darth Bane/Reven/etc.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They should take Dolph Lundgren.

RetropME and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  11. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I agree 100%. When I say I want a return to character based storytelling, I only mean that I see that as the beating heart that makes the rest of the story, the external plotting, work. So yes I want both too just as you describe.

The only distinction I'm trying to make is between organic story elements and those that are arbitrary in some way, like wanting to explain things in The Mandalorian that may not necessarily fit organically into its focus for the sake of improving another set of movies. If it's done in a natural way, I don't mind, but some seem to want to take a square peg and jam it into a round hole, treating The Mandalorian as though it's subservient to the needs of the ST and is required to serve that purpose. I see it the opposite way -- The Mandalorian is in the driver's seat.

Alien Vanguard and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Campea, sorry to say (and I’m not accusing him of anything), gives off an insecure and abusive dude vibe. Not a fan.
    We’re on the same page. Same paragraph, even.

dick rodgers and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    To me he still looks like a human in blue paint, so i feel you need to make him look al little like an alien. His bone structure is different then Thrawn is, also he needs a little more hair. I might be a little critical here but that is becuase if it dosn't look great or almost perfect then it's just gonna look like someone is cosplaying. Same reason am worried for Ahsoka. It's why i hope they use the art that he has from book covers and Rebels as inspiration.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Hmm. Sounds like if Thrawn had Ysalamiri he'd be unstoppable... ;-)

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The difference is that Lars Mikkelsen and Tiya Sicar are experienced and very talented actors. Eckstein simply doesn’t have enough under her belt.
    I actually think Lars looks more alien than the Rebels cartoon version of Thrawn does.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He looks like Smurf Göring or at best like Thrawn after a tapeworm treatment.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  18. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Exactly. On Sherlock Series 3, he plays a character that's very similar to Thrawn and he's perfect in the role. Though Kyle MacLachlan would be amazing too.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  19. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    That's because he is a human with blue paint ;).

I get what you're saying. Remember that this was just to get an idea if he could fit, not to present a final product. I'm not the Mandalorian makeup department to put it mildly. The reason I believe he could look the part is because I browsed through some pics on google where he had no beard and looked more gaunt and cold in the face. The all-blue shade and red eyes need to work though. And I would have him appear half obscured by shadows in scenes as opposed to a fully lit character portrait. Maybe from behind with a turned head so you only see the profile.

20. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Not reading the thread (avoiding spoilers) but I just want to say as a rabid anti new trilogy person and someone deeply sceptical about post Lucas Star Wars in general.... Mando is absolutely amazing and makes me feel like a little child again. I can’t think of something that has won me over so totally. Great stuff!

UKS

The Chalk Jedi and DannyD like this.
  21. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Think we should be ready to not have any aliens with blue or other color skin quite as deep as the cartoons give them. The Twileks we've seen so far in the show compared to the ones in the cartoons are a good indicator of what to expect.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I'd choose Kyle, of course, being a huge Twin Peaks fan, but I wouldn't want him to do a voice similar to Lars Mikkelsen, but to do his own thing, which would be better IMO. But some might object because they'd want that Russian-Eastern European sound that Rebels established.

Love to see Mads in the role too. His unique face in that makeup would be interesting.

RetropME and dick rodgers like this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    What I like about Kyle as Thrawn is that I’ve always viewed Thrawn as this sort of warm presence, exuding a friendly nature. But he turns cold and cruel if and when he needs to be.

looking at Twin Peaks Season 3, Kyle encompasses both sides of the aisle with Dale Cooper/Dougie Jones and also the evil doppelgänger.

Lars Mikkelsen did good as the voice of Thrawn, but he’s a little too... “evil” looking to physically portray him IMO. I honestly think if you paint Kyle blue he’s a perfect Thrawn

24. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, that's why I say sometimes with him. Because yeah, his Ahsoka thing I do not get at all either.

He says he thinks Dave Filoni has an obsession with Ahsoka. It seems to me that he has an obsession with thinking that Dave Filoni has an obsession with Ahsoka.

Yes, Dave Filoni put Ahsoka in both of the series that he's worked on, but she's a popular character, why wouldn't you. And he co-created her, or created her, or whatever way the story goes. And her role in Rebels made perfect sense from a story perspective.

I don't see him saying that George Lucas has an obsession with Darth Vader. He put him in every single thing he did. Created an entire trilogy of movies about him.

And I don't really care for his Mandalorian review show either. Just when he talks Star Wars in general sometimes it's interesting to me.

Anyway, The Mandalorian...

It's kind of interesting that we haven't gotten a synopsis for the next episode yet. They've all been vague anyway, so why would this episode be any different? :cool:

TadoFett and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Do we know for sure that this is the episode directed by Dave Filoni?

TadoFett likes this.