main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here first on the list are front line NHS staff. Second is care home staff and patients. Then it goes 80s and above, 70s, 60s - I believe. I'm in the 60s group.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Same here as I @LAJ_FETT volunteered for the vaccine trial at Northwestern University but was not chosen. My wife and I being middle aged educators who do not have any underlining health conditions will not be anywhere near the top of the list. Again most likely will not get vaccinated to the summer and that is if everything goes well. Our principal discussed with a group of us the hope is we are all back in the building like normal by October 1st of next year. We are not going to bother with hybrid if that is the case though. Will do the first few months in remote and save the money we would need to spend in order to run hybrid properly.

And this @blackmyron is where Governor Meathead and the MAGAers are going to get their long awaited comeuppance. Disney is going to announce within the next few months that first a negative test (once the antigen tests are fully on the market and cheap) will be needed to get into the parks and then once it's fully rolled out, proof of the vaccine (via a app on your phone which they have already developed) to get in. Ticketmaster as already said that they are doing the same thing and not that apply to concerts but also sporting events as well. Other major companies are throwing the gauntlet down as well including the airlines. Good luck having an economy without any tourism in Florida LOL! In the end, all these MAGAers morons will break down and give in because they will realize quickly that "big business" is not going to tolerate outbreaks especially once the vaccine is readily available. They are not. And neither are the schools. Biden really is going to end the idea of kids getting exemptions from vaccines. Kids who do not get their vaccines can do remote learning and get the same education opportunities at home.

Nobody145, Rew and blackmyron like this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    yeah, they're in quite the pickle.

They have to tout the Trump Vaccine, because Trump personally made it possible and will save America.
    But also don't want to support anyone taking it, because this is all an overblown hoax, vaccines are sciencey, and part of the Bill-Gates-Soros conspiracy to implant microchips with 666 on them, and what the **** do experts know anyway.

Poor them. DeSantis is thanking his lucky stars that he's not in charge of GA. That's all I trust from him.

Lowbacca_1977 and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    One of my colleagues thinks it originated in a US military lab and we shared it with the Chinese who then accidentally released it. He also swears there are HIV domains in the spike protein. So even the educated fall victim to this nonsense.

In regards to the vaccine, a nurse I'm working with on COVID today doesn't want to take it until it's been out awhile due to fear of side-effects. I told her I would be first in line as I fear the virus a lot more than the vaccine. I respect her point-of-view and am glad it's at least grounded in a desire to see data rather than conspiracy theories about the virus itself.

Our numbers are also climbing. December and January are going to be bad. As a physician I'm scared.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - all the idiots travelling around the country for Thanksgiving aren't going to help. Here it's Christmas people are worrying about. (UK doesn't do T/giving).

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    There's a documentary called Hold Up which has made the rounds despite being quickly forbidden here in France. It blames the release of the virus on our own Institut Pasteur (go figure how a French lab accidentally lt a virus loose in the middle of China...) I've been rather surprised, however, to hear several judges and lawyers mentioning that documentary as the likely explanation for a pandemic that would be the first step for one hell of a plot, one that's basically about enforcing a dictatorship in France (sorry folks, apparently, you're all collateral damage).

[face_dunno]

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    For Missouri it's healthcare workers and nursing home residents 1a, people over 65 and with pre-existing conditions 1b, then just everyone else.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    IIRC, there are telltale signs of genetic modification that scientists can detect, and none have been found by any reputable scientists.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    That seems fairly straightforward. I'd put children and prek-12 school staff above "just everyone else" if I got to decide.

Rew likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Similar to here for the first two on Solojones's list - your nursing homes are our care homes. Same idea, just a different name.

11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Correct. Genetic engineering leaves traces, just like materials engineering, and none have been found where COVID is concerned.

Of course that means nothing if you only believe what you hear in your own bubble, but for the rest of us it's nice to know the facts.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    LOL! I wish that were to happen but it definitely is not especially since the way the vaccine is being rolled out as will not get in the mass qualities needed to get school really back up and running until the end of spring which does no good for this school year. About the only thing were hoping for this school year is that antigen testing is in almost every home by the spring therefore we can test everyone before they come into school each day and perhaps have almost regular school with masks but the odds of that are slim. We are most likely going to be remote until the spring and then perhaps hybrid but that again not have many students attend since they did not see the point. The calendar simply seems to be against us getting back into the classroom in a major way this school year. Everything points for that to not happen until next fall.

13. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Major highways here in the DC area especially 66 West and 95 South are jammed pretty bad. ( I just looked on Google Maps) Looks like the highest death total ever in one day yesterday for the USA didn't scare enough people from going to spend Thanksgiving with their family.

Pensivia likes this.
  14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    And sadly, the highest death toll in two weeks from the Thanksgiving holiday won’t deter people from traveling for Christmas or New Year’s either.

We’re in for a world of hurt.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I recently saw a reasonable explanation for decision making of this kind-- the optimism fallacy. Bad things are more likely to happen to other people, rather than to you. Of course, to everyone else, each of us is part of the "other."

I'm currently experiencing my closest brush with the virus that I'm aware of (which may not be my closest in reality); I was informed yesterday afternoon that a teacher I worked closely with last week is covid positive (there are multiple recent positives among the staff, so it's not just them). I'm already at something close to a week since my likely exposure. No symptoms yet, other than maybe my throat, but my sinuses have been bad throughout my adult life, so it's hard to know how much stock to put in that. I've been keeping @Rogue1-and-a-half's asymptomatic experience in mind and am keeping clear of my parents that I live with.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My brother tested negative after he met a friend who tested positive so that’s good

17. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My sister @Xeiah got a notice yesterday that she had tested positive for covid. Today I’m feeling pretty sick too. (We live together.). I have no car these days, and no way to get to a testing site without exposing someone, so the doc just pronounced me “presumably positive” and told me to stay home.

So far, I have no fever, and just “stomach flu” type symptoms. I read online that people who start with GI symptoms tend to have a milder but longer course of the disease. So that ... could be worse I guess?

The fam has canceled Thanksgiving, which was the right thing to do, considering.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Best wishes, Josh, Ben & Xeiah. Hopefully you all have mild cases.

I have also had bad allergies and sinus issues my whole life. So it was tricky. I was being monitored during my quarantine via text message, so I had to report whether I had symptoms or not every day. I just did an honest "best judgment" assessment. I think I had some mild allergy symptoms a couple of times. But, yeah, it's hard to know.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope your brother and his friend are going to be ok.

Jedi Knight Fett and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My brother definitely will be. His friend was asymptotic so should be fine

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My fear is our lot will do a 'normal' Xmas at any cost.

Yeah, but now the prospects that you and a good few US posters have been hugely and justifiablyon edge over look even worse.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    It's not a PR stunt. We keep trying to fight the war on the battlefield of logic, reason, math and science. It's quite obvious that all the public hears is a Charlie Brown parent going, "wha wha wha wa wa."

On the actual battlefield, the logic is more akin to, "You are very small. Perhaps you're right."

We need to put away the ivory tower pride and get Gwyneth a jab. Vaccine hesitancy will go poof overnight.

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The US Constitution as a suicide pact. Let us gather in large tightly packed groups to celebrate our faith. Don't forget to bring a gun!

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The new prediction is that we will hit the peak of the second wave in the middle of December in Sweden. We seemed to have hit a bit of a plateau with new cases, but they are not decreasing, and that means that the number of IVA cases is still going up.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So sorry to hear you are feeling sick too Ben. I was hoping you'd dodge it, and I still hope maybe it's something else.... But yeah, not looking good. Let me know if you need anything.