main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm looking at a picture of the Defender Elite on Wook, and the wings don't appear to be any longer than the base model.

Edit: Hm, yeah they are longer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Squadrons model also appears to have the longer rear part that the Elite one has.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    If anyone wants to try to make a rough size extimate, this is official concept art for the Arquitens bridge (I'd have to check back the episode but I'm fairly sure that's how it looks in the final version). It certainly feels larger than the show version, hopefully it's closer to the official lenght this time.
    [​IMG]

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Really hoping we get some expanded hangar space on these with what we get from The Mandalorian.

Long Snoot likes this.
  4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    We're on page 1138? :D

I really like this - just having a live-action Imperial Light Cruiser is all kinds of fun. :D

In more detail, this looks like an upgraded ship - not only are there more thrusters, but the ventral hull is bulkier and more angular, perhaps suggesting a bigger power core?

I'm not completely sure whether the bridge is actually in the command tower - if that door where the officer enters the corridor is immediately at the back of the bridge, the bay where Gideon's waiting runs forward in parallel, too far for the viewports to be internal - this could be a "flag bridge" for a command / communications ship, separate from the flight bridge we've seen before...

[face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I see on twitter that MelsMiniatures identified and made lots of Nebulon-C variants from the Exegol peoples fleet... interesting!

Chrissonofpear2 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I noticed both Squadrons and BF2 both have made their CR90s around 130 meters. Is LucasFilm giving them the wrong numbers? Is the 150 figure not the internal figure at LucasFilm? Are they using the CR70 length?

All the other ships I've measured match the length given on Wookieepedia. Including the Arquitens, it's 425 Meters long.

It seems odd. Maybe it's for gameplay reasons.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  7. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    I'm guessing they got the wrong length in BF2 and carried it over into squadrons, as one of the behind the scenes videos of Rise of Skywalker shows the ship length listed at 150m on their internal size chart.

My rough estimate is 20m wide and more than 15m long, but since it's concept art it's likely the physical set will have different sizes.
    I agree, I really like what I've seen so far - especially like how they made the turrets more armoured looking.

As for the bridge I think it is in the command tower, as the windows that are visible in the beginning of the scene look to match what is seen on the Topps card.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Separately, on the previous episode...

Does anyone know where the cargo hold on the Gozanti is? One thing I'd missed until now is that they replaced the smaller central engine of earlier Gozanti variants with a big one the same size as the two wing ones - which gives a really nice "this is an Imperial ship" visual in the scene showing the ship astern, followed by the arrival of the jetpack Mandos, but means there doesn't seem to be space for an aft cargo hatch...

I didn't know about the Topps pic. :p That does suggest a new bridge pod. Looks like they've upscaled at least slightly from TCW / REBELS to fit that hangar in the bows, as well. *shrugs*

I'm not really bothered by a smaller CR90. The 150m length is an old WEG one, and I'd suspected for a while that a smaller scale might fit better with a ~1.6km Devastator (the interior corriors are going to be a bit impressionistic whatever you do)...

- The Imperial Ewok

Sean_Connery likes this.
  9. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    I know this was ages ago, but hah I was right!

Alpha-Red likes this.
  10. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    about this
    Topps card
    where can I find these images.

11. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    This post by Long Snoot has it.

Chris0013 and Tuskin38 like this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Thanks...you said Topps and I thought 'live action pic" like the old Star Wars cards

13. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    In fact, if you scale a 150 m long Tantive IV with the Devastator, as on stardestroyer.net, I think, then you end up with a 2.4 km long ISD. If you go by a 1.606 km long destroyer, you get around 99 metres for the corvette, closer to TROS scale - but all other in studio charts have been using 150 metres, of recent, whilst the video games, and Rebels, oddly, seem to size down.
    Meanwhile, any more info on source for a 425 metre Arquitens? Someone said they had scales for a 225 m Arquitens and 440 m Nebulon-B, from Rebels, recently.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    What measurements did the downsized TROS Tantive IV in a cave Version in set have if it had proper engines instead of a matte painting aft? Compared to humans all over it?

Gesendet von meinem FP2 mit Tapatalk

15. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    The Rebels TIE Defenders have straight joins between the panel lines instead of angled ones; to me the Defender Elite's wings seem to be the same length as the Squadrons version. Other than wing shape the main difference seems to be the lack of the Defender Elite's airfoil-like extensions behind the solar panel struts and the lack of exposed missiles in the wing assemblies.

My headcanon is that the ships seen in Rebels are prototypes (maybe the Defender v1 for the initial version and Defender x1 for the Elite); the old EGVV diagrams that get reused as holos show angled panel joins which I think of as an intended change for the production model (along with perhaps moving the warheads from the wings to chin launchers). So maybe the holo version we see in Rebels and the variants we see in Commander and Battlefront are production Defender Mark I examples based off the Defender v1 prototype and the Squadrons version is the Defender Mark II based off the Defender x1 Elite.

I'll be interested to see how the performance stats for the Defender are in Squadrons, because even with the heavy stats nerf the Defender and Defender Elite got in source material those ships should be all-around superior to the TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor. If it's balanced in Squadrons to not totally surpass those ships, maybe the Squadrons version is an "economized" design that sacrifices performance for production costs.

16. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    That was a typo, I meant 325m for the Arquitens not 425m my bad, but the 325 length comes from this book according to Wookiepedia.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Build_the_Millennium_Falcon_(De_Agostini)

Also if you rip the Arquitens model from Battlefront 2 or Squadrons it also comes out as 325 meters. A ripped model isn't exactly canon, but it's a pretty big coincidence that they match.

Here's an 150m CR90 in an 1600m ISD-2 hangar. Mind you the ISD model is a low quality one that would sit in the background away from the action. That's why it's so low detail. The high detail ones are made up of like 100+ pieces and I can't be arsed to put them together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at this still from ANH, I'd say 1,600m for the ISD and 150m for the CR90 is a correct length..
    [​IMG]

150m CR90 and 325m Arquitens docking ports are basically the same size funnily enough. 6ft stormtrooper for scale.
    [​IMG]

According to the Squadrons devs their models are built to the scale that LucasFilm gives them. So it sounds like the problem is on LucasFilm's end I guess.

Rebels is weird, using the docked A-Wings for scale, the CR90 would have to be 120 meters or less. Or the A-Wing would have to be like 13-14 meters long.

Some of Rebel's scale issues can easily be explained away by the art style, but CR90 seems pretty spot on, it's doesn't seem that stylized.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  17. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, certainly, a 150 metre corvette WILL fit in the ISD bay (around 188 m long) but the photogrammetry and shadows implied the model was barely half the bay length, when fully docked. It's just something we'll probably have to ignore.
    We get a good idea of Tantive scale in TROS from the people working on the neck panels, which implies barely 100 metre scale. May be based on the CW or Rebels model, I guess?

Tuskin38 likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    It was probably scaled down to fit the scene. JJ also isn't known for keeping scales consistent *cough* Star Trek *cough*
    I wouldn't take the TROS scale as gospel. Sometimes directors/artists have scales changed to fit the scene better, or because they look cooler. For example those Venators at the start of the ROTS appear to be a lot bigger than they should be based on their other appearances in the franchise.
    Most likely JJ wanted the whole Tantive IV in the hangar, so they would have had to scale it down, and since he's the director/writer, they do what they're told.

Clone Wars CR90 appears to be around 120 to 130 look at the size of the people in this shot
    [​IMG]
    I tried to match the stormtrooper to the person standing next to that door (Bail?). I scaled the CR90 down to 130
    [​IMG]

Snafu55 likes this.
  19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Probably just a standard docking ring used by just about every manufacturer....no need to re-invent the wheel.

Tuskin38 and Snafu55 like this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So...

Trying to come up with names for the Sith Star Destroyers present, I went to Wookieepedia to look up former Sith craft names. I never realised what I was getting into. Heck, it appears there are endless candidates. Well, I did want to put a name to as much as what was on-screen as possible to satisfy myself.

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    [face_hypnotized]
    Now I imagine a scenario like this:

As the Bane detatches fleet elements of 2 destroyers in pairs to try to sneak away and hit the People fleets assault in a pincer move, others like the Nihilus, the Maul and the Sion move in for brute force attacks hungrily tearing into the lesser armed sections of the people fleet. Meanwhile the Traya close to destruction microjumps right into the people fleet to take as many as she can with them when her core blows. On the far side of Exegol the Plagueis and the Vitiate sneak silently away, but as it is about to jump in the planets shadow, an Eclipse class superstardestroyer rounds the planet and intercepts them (as stolen in Duel of the Fates script), now aligned with the Peoples fleet and Reistance, this Eclipse class is aptly named, the Revan and destroys both sneakaways.

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Does the Tyranus get its command tower chopped off?

23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think they saved Sith Lord names for their legions. The Derriphan was named for a battleship so I was think like Harrower, Terminus, Vaiken, Doombringer etc.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine the ship named would have been Sith animals and monsters like the Derriphan.

So the Silooth, the Tuk'ata, the Terentatek, etc.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Maybe some of the historical Legends Sith could be ship names since they're notable figures who inspire fear and awe. But is old Palpy really the sentimental type who would honor his former apprentices and master by naming ships after them? The people he either betrayed or used as pawns in a scheme (or both)? The people he saw as tools or obstacles in his way? No, it's completely out of character.