main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Best hopes for a mild case @poor yorick and for your sister. Sorry about Thanksgiving getting capsized. Feel better!

Rew, Runjedirun and poor yorick like this.
  2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    yes, best wishes to you and your sister for a speedy recovery @poor yorick .

Hubby and I decided not to have our nephew stay with us for several days over this holiday weekend. Instead, we are planning to meet him in a state park about 1/2 way of the distance between us for a day visit this weekend. We'll all be wearing masks, staying 6 feet apart and outdoors the whole time, so that's a type of visit I can feel comfortable about. I just hope the park isn't too crowded, but I think it should be ok.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Best wishes on a quick recovery for you and your sister @poor yorick

Runjedirun likes this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Major shift at Supreme Court on Covid-19 orders

Funny you should mention that.

This ruling is, in a word, insane. It not only ties public officials' hands, it reaches out beyond the fact that Governor Cuomo rescinded the order, yet they felt compelled to do this anyway. What's that about 'judicial activism', conservatives?

The consequences of this are going to be insane. Everyone from governors down to local officials are now powerless to restrict gatherings where speaking and singing in tight quarters are the norm. "But the Constitution!" isn't going to stop the virus, Justice Gorsuch. Sorry.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Roberts was the voice of sanity in the minority opinion.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Negative rights were a mistake.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only moral justification for a state is ensuring the well-being of the population. The U.S. Supreme Court is saying, "Nah, let's not do that." Protecting the short-term financial interests of the ruling class is the state's only purpose!

9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    So it is a suicide pact.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If your God likes you less because you can’t get together in an enclosed building with a lot of other people and sing loudly to him, you need a different religion.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    “You can’t make me!” as judicial philosophy.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Trump's Thanksgiving message for America:

“I encourage all Americans to gather, in homes and places of worship, to offer a prayer of thanks to God for our many blessings"

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    New tiers for England come into effect on Dec 2 - looks like my area is in Tier 2 (the middle one). London is also in Tier 2. if you're in England and want to check your area, BBC News have a checker - just enter your post code.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Especially when you can literally do anything you can do at church at home. Or the fact that if you really must “go to church” or whatever religious building you can do so over zoom.

This order is just going to kill so many people

15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Isn't this what that thing was about? That door-nailing thing? That Reformation? The one that made us super-de-duper Free because we didn't have to go to churches and listen to priests anymore? I was pretty sure Conservative America was into that.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I’d like to point out that in the case of Catholic mass, I have been able to watch it on Sundays since the 1990s.
    Honestly, priests could bless the hosts in advance, package them up and mail them to parishioners and it would just as effective.

This ruling is stupid and will kill people. Even the Pope was cancelling masses in Rome to keep people safe. So if the head of the church was reducing sizes, his priests should be following his example.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Hope you and your sister have minimal discomfort with this thing @poor yorick

Better to get it over and done with before Christmas than smack in the middle, imo.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    EWTN do a televised Catholic Mass every day (unless a live event preempts it). In the UK it's shown at 1PM with a 6PM repeat. On Sundays the live Mass is also at 1PM UK time but there is no evening repeat. Pretty sure you can watch online but the channel is on Sky satellite (channel 588).

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And the Bible is pretty clear that you don't go to church, you are the church. Sooo you are not following a religion that follows the Bible if they demand you come to a building, especially now.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Church commandment about the Holy Communion says at least once a year. So strictly speaking not required every Sunday. And Mass attendance counts if "attended" via TV, radio or Internet streaming.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    On the other hand there are few things more traditionally Christian than killing people over access to Communion. It’s a surprisingly rich history, full of priests, and people being angry at priests.

B3, tom, darthcaedus1138 and 5 others like this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I saw a meme that said, “Americans celebrating Thanksgiving by spreading disease is actually an incredibly accurate way to honor the holiday.” Offensive and inappropriate, but, they do have a a point.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean they aren’t wrong 90% of the natives were killed by disease. Thousands will almost certainly die directly because of Thanksgiving this year.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My bro retweeted that one, and yes, apt.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I read a history about it once. Where it said that by the time the pilgrims arrived, the native americans were already experiencing a plague brought on by earlier explorers. So when they got here, there was this 'illusion' that the land was empty and ripe for the taking.

MA Bay area had something like 4 million native americans living here before 'we' arrived. And each time we inched westward, the same story. Disease and plague acted as a buffer, wiping out the natives, and 'allowing' the settlers to move in, fight off the survivors, and claim the land.