main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Bo-Katan in The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Nov 13, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Now THAT would have some interesting reaction videos on YouTube!

...I’m rewatching the Siege of Mandalore arc from TCW to try and re-evaluate Bo-Katarn in The Mandalorian.

One thing that struck me with the first episode is the implied size and logistics of Bo-Katan’s forces during that time period; it seems likely comparable, at minimum, to the size of the entire Death Watch when Maul used them to take-over the supply dictates, with multiple troop transports, and at maximum, potentially enough to seize Sundari in an outright assault, just not enough to ensure that Maul couldn’t escape or to win the war - which makes sense when every one of Maul’s supercommandos has a jet pack.

And Ursa potentially represents a clear investment by at least one extra-planetary clan in her alliance against Maul.

Her forces in Rebels are smaller, but still seem much greater than the “crew” we see in TM, though that could, of course, merely be her personal strike force, as the search she has for greater weapons caches implies... but at the same time, raiding an imperial remnant that may not even mount a Star Destroyer for weapons caches also might put a limit on how many troops she actually commands post-ROTJ.

This is all rampant speculation on my part, and I could totally see Bo’s TM crew being merely one cell of a much larger network...

...But I’d still love it if we found out that Bo’s leadership role ended badly enough the majority of Mandalore’s civilian populace has forsaken the armor again, and now simply wants to live in peace.

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Such a story possibility is implied by Din's pairing with the Child. And it would take SW in new and interesting directions.

"This is the way" ultimately becomes a question about values and identity as we explore what the way should be, and this applies to not only Mandalorians, but the whole GFFA post-ROTJ in the hands of Favreau and Filoni.

Deciding how to make moral decisions has always been a key concern from Lucas, and it's cool to see this show focusing in on that vision.

DannyD likes this.
  3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    That would be cool.

I'm sure some have Googled Guernica, but yeah, it works on so many levels for Mandalore and it's use for that particular story.

Why Picasso painted it. Guernica is an anti-war painting. In response to the Spanish Civil War. And you have the Mandalorians as pacifists now, and on the verge of civil war. (Franco is Pre Viszla. Or vice versa.) So it was a really neat little thing they did there.

It totally makes sense why they chose to style Mandalore the way they did. George Lucas is a pretty decent storyteller.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea but I doubt one force user and one Mandalorian is going to fix things

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  6. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    The whole Darksaber thing confuses me a little. Rebels establishes it as the kinda “sword in the stone” of Mandalore where the owner is ruler. Yet in TCW Viszla had it when Satine had it and Viszla was an extremist out in the boonies. Viszla takes over Mandalore from Satine and never uses his ownership of the saber as justification in itself. After Maul beats Viszla, nobody else defeats him for it and Sabine just gifts it to Bo Katan after nabbing it from Mauls junk drawer on Dathomir. If Satine never needed it for legitimacy, why does Bo Katan?

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

It is more a symbol than anything, but a powerful one that helps unite the various factions under one leader that they can put their faith it. Usually if someone has the Darksaber, that means that they were able to defeat someone else of note to "earn" it, which gives them a sort of legitimacy as leader.

Staine's rule marked the end of a period of pacifist rule on Mandalore, that came to an end with the onset of the Clone Wars and, not so coincidentally, the return of the Darksaber to the Mandalorian people. Once the blade returned to the fold, and the planet and its people became entangled in war after war, its status as a symbol to rally behind regained the significance in once held in times of old.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Shadao and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just hope someone else becomes Mandalore other than Bo

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Not sure if anyone talked about this yet but Star Wars Explained had a interesting theory

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well Bo is the only candidate. no other one who can lead them. I think she'll rule Mandalore until up to the ST era.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I would love to see Bo do something evil again. She isn’t a good person

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    She isn't neither good or evil, she in the grey era.

Shadao, RetropME and The Togruta Jedi like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    She is pretty damn grey. By all definitions she was a terrorist. She burned innocent people alive.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well she was young and maybe Pre Vizsla indoctinated her since she was a teenager. Also to thme the mandalorians they were weak and to mandalorians only the strong should rule.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Doesnt really matter a terrorist is a terrorist and by the time we meet her in TCW she is old enough to not burn people alive

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well we didn't see her doing it, she might just have watched it, and she seems to regret her wrong doing later on.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Your right we don’t but come your giving her to much credit she worked for death watch for a while. Death watch was a terrorist organization. She is just as bad as the rest and sorry your not convincing me otherwise

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I just don't think we see mutch of her when we first see her, i think originally she was just meant to be a female henchmen, and not get a name until they wrote season 5. So it could be that the character weren't there yet.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That may be the case however you still have to have the two mesh together

20. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Yeah I get the feeling that she was a background henchman character elevated by a good voice actress and awesome character design. Problem I and I think others have is they just decided one day she was more of a hero character and didn’t build too much of a transition into that new role. She went so far as to say she “wasn’t her sister” in Rebels so maybe some stuff happened in the 18 years between.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Satine didn’t use it/ need it because she was charting a new peaceful course for Mandalore. And as we see, she wasn’t able to unite all the clans/ groups, and a number of them revolted. One of those that revolted, Death Watch, wanted to return to the old Mandalorian warrior ways, and the dark saber was representative of that. To defeat the Imperials, Sabine and Bo-Katan acknowledge that to succeed, mixing the old ways and the new will be important. And in a situation of Imperial oppression, the dark saber is a powerful and unifying symbol of Mando resistance. And a call to arms. It’s actually a super-realistic dynamic, from a sociopolitical perspective, given the dynamics in both TCW and Rebels.

Shadao likes this.
  22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Bo-Katan needs to meet the Armorer. That would be an interesting conversation.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    RetropME and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  24. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    That is an awesome shirt.

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I want that shirt.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.