main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.04 - Chapter 12 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 19, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 27, 2020.
  1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

34.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

0.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Who’s “she?”

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean the female officer.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She’s already with Gideon’s crew though. Why would she need to join him?

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean join him to hunt down Din and Ahsoka, and not just be there with the ship.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Copy that.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  7. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    Hm, that's an interesting point. I haven't read much of the ancillary stuff, so I wasn't really aware of that. But perhaps the passage of time might affect things? Like there's still approximately 25 years before The Force Awakens and not much is said about the intervening years between trilogies in the films themselves.

And this may just be my personal bias I guess. I don't really mind some inconsistencies with the novels and comics if it means opening up possibilities for the story to expand on screen. I feel like that's where the bulk of the audience is really focused. But I can certainly understand why people might feel differently than I do on this particular subject.

I can't comment much on the modern novels / comics. I have read a few, but not many. I did read some of the old EU and still enjoyed things like the Heir to the Empire Trilogy despite the major contradictions to the prequel trilogy and just imagined that some variation of that story occurred in the canon timeline.

I think my biggest reservation in trying to adapt that story in some way in live action is the fact that Carrie Fisher has passed away. We have seen with some of the Marvel films what they can do with de-aging technology. Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford would certainly be up for it I think, but how can you write those stories without Leia?

TadoFett and Darthur C. Clarke like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That didn’t stop them using Cushing’s likeness in RO

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Is this the first time they’ve said that Dune is from Alderaan, or was that mentioned in the first season?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Pretty sure it was mentioned before. I knew she was from Alderaan but I can't remember how I know....

11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Gideon monlogued about it, at the same time we got her full first name. Gideon's the evil Ric Olie. But he does it with style.

12. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    His role was relatively small though and the lighting helped create the effect. In RO he pretty much stays in the same environment for every scene.
    I'm not convinced technology is quite there yet to allow a CGI/De-aged character to have a major part especially in different types of scenes. All it takes is for one scene to look bad and it takes you right out of the believability of it all.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    These are not the jeans I’m looking for.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He does have the Ric Ollie habit of describing things we’re all looking at. But in the case of Cara being from Alderaan, that wasn’t so obvious by just looking at her, so it’s not that Ric Ollie-ish. Kind of though. So I’d go ahead and say that Gideon is an “Evil Stylish Ric Ollie With Access to Intelligence.”

RetropME and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  15. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I think they could do a re-tooled version of the Thrawn Trilogy, and in fact, have been hoping that they will. It would need to be heavily modified to fit in the new canon, but could be made as an animated miniseries, or even as a recast OT live action. I don't see them having Ford and Hamill de-aged, then recasting Leia, unless her daughter played the role.

Anyways, Moff Gideon and his forces show that there is room for other Imperial remnant groups to come into play after Jakku in the current timeline. Since Thrawn has been MIA since the end of Rebels, it's possible. It won't be in this series though.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Regarding the clone experiments on the base:
    Does anyone know if the Wookiepedia entry about Reys father is canon, that he is a Palpatine clone that lacks force connectivity?
    That would fit to the picture that they try to create a force sensitive "vessel". Is there any novel / comic to back this entry or is that pure speculation / headcanon

17. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Very late to the party on this one, but I wasn't too big on this episode. It wasn't awful, but the infiltration felt pretty standard and a bit thin up until the canyon chase. Probably didn't help that a chunk of it felt like they got too much coverage and had to fill it with awkward wipes. Canyon chase was really cool though, and the episode was pretty full of some of the more entertaining Baby Yoda moments with the cookies, spinning and repairs. Asking Gina Carano to actually act though at the end was a mistake. Politics aside, she just isn't a very good actress. Her attempts to sell mourning reminded me of the scene in Birdemic 2 where they explain a character from the first one being absent with a dry "She got... a disease from that fish that Rod cooked." Great movie, great scene. On the other hand, nice to see the guy from Kim's Convenience back. I've never watched the show but it's plastered on every bus stop in town. Definitely need to at some point, never heard a bad thing about it. Nice to see Gideon again too. He doesn't do much or anything but honestly I just like seeing Giancarlo Esposito in anything so that's always a good time.

Overall though, kind of a meh episode for me. Not bad, not even the worst of the season so far, but not one I'd go back to. And it sticks out more since The Marshall and The Heiress were my two favourites of the show so far.

my kind of scum likes this.
  18. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    That's from the novelization of the movie. It would have been nice if they explained it in the movie itself, but oh well.

my kind of scum and Darth Smurf like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For me the scene felt like taken directly from the Rango movie but this time with Tie fighters and without the Danube waltz. :p

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh. That's a shame.
    They've edited out hiding jeans guy.

Grey Matter, Bor Mullet and RetropME like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Disney’s clearly jeansist.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's worse than that, they're obviously full-blown anti-jeans-ites.

23. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I agree - in fact, with the new characters from Mandalorian and tie ins to the sequel trilogy, they could even consider it an expanded version of Zahn's story. I feel like they can tell an even more interesting version of Heir to the Empire with the pieces now in place.

Darthur C. Clarke and TadoFett like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

DurararaFTW likes this.
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally getting around to watching this episode. My thoughts as I watch:

-Aww. Baby Yoda confused about what wire Mando is talking about. He is too young for ship repair[face_laugh]All the technical details just overwhelm him.

-"Well, it was worth a shot." After it goes up in smoke. Oh, Mando.

-Back to Navarro for repairs.

-A cute meerkat type creature.

-Wow, yeah, Mando's ship looks like it is falling apart. Definitely needs repairs.

-Everyone questioning Mando's parenting skills and ability to look after adorable little Baby Yoda.

-Like the glimpses we get of the street stalls and the school. Fleshes out the world.

-The kids in the classroom are so cute. Whispering about Baby Yoda.

-The protocol droid teaching the lesson is a nice touch of humor as well.

-Baby Yoda wants some of whatever blue thing that kid is eating, haha.

-Oh, wow, it's the blue alien from the first episode of the first season.

-Mando coming into conflict with Imperial holdouts everywhere he goes.

-Love the edge to the dialogue in this series. Works well for the characters.

-Great that blue alien calls out the lack of railings over deep pits in Star Wars[face_laugh]

-Running through Imperial hallways. Classic Star Wars.

-Oh, wow, it was a lab and connected to the experiments that Baby Yoda was subjected to in season 1.

-Mando and company learn that Moff Gideon survived. The plot thickens.

-Lots of great fighting and flying chase sequences in this. Good action/adventure movie vibe throughout the episode.

-Cinematic shot as the TIE fighters lift off. This series has lots of cinematic moments and shots like that. High quality TV show overall.

-Like a lot of the camera angles during the flying chase. Creatively shot.

-This episode could definitely form the basis of a ride at Galaxy's Edge theme park...

-Baby Yoda with his snack. So engrossed in it and then his little cheer.

-Baby Yoda loves the spinning tricks. Hands lifted like he is riding a roller coaster.

-Oh, no, Baby Yoda threw up the snack.

-Oh, wow, Cara Dune from Alderaan. Losing everyone. =(( What an emotional bombshell.

-Like the cobblestone streets of Navarro. Very quaint and old timey looking.

-Moff Gideon ready for battle. A cliffhanger.

Overall thoughts on the episode: I loved getting more glimpses into Navarro and seeing Baby Yoda in the school was precious. Lots of great action moments and big emotional bombshells dropped from the revelation about the experiments on Baby Yoda to the fact that Cara Dune is from Alderaan. Also the cliffhanger ending makes me want to dive right into the next episode. The cinematography and world building in this TV series is an ongoing treat. Truly phenomenal. What a gift this show is to Star Wars fans.

Episode rating out of 10: 10 out of 10 for me. Really enjoyed this one with the world building, the action and cinematography, and the big bombshells.

Now off to watch the next episode!

TadoFett and DarthFixxxer like this.