main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It’s odd, because I really didn’t notice any issues with the mix. There were only a few lines that got drowned out by something else and they seemed to be more or less intentional. I had a hard time with the turnstile interrogation through glass, but I’m pretty sure that was meant to be confusing. And I say this as someone whose hearing is absolutely terrible at distinguishing conversation through any kind of interfering sound. But I also thought that it was intentional on Nolan’s part, in general, to keep the viewer as off-balance as the Protagonist was. I had to stay on my toes and struggle to keep up for the whole film, just like the Protagonist, but I always did.

I don’t know, all I’m saying is I loved it.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    While You Were Sleeping (1995)
    I hadn't seen this one since it came out, and glad I did. Sandra Bullock is at her most expressive quirky charming funny, and the supporting players are all good for laughs too, even Bill Pullman.

wobbits, Master_Lok, GregMcP and 5 others like this.
  3. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Red Sun. A Western made in Spain by a French studio and British director Terence Young, starring Charles Bronson, Alain Delon, Ursula Andress, and TOSHIRO MIFUNE, this is about as eclectically international as you get. More importantly, it’s very good.

Bronson and Delon lead a gang that robs the Japanese ambassador’s train as he travels to Washington, but when Delon steals a sword the Emperor was giving to President Grant and double-crosses Bronson, Bronson is forced to work with Mifune, the ambassador’s samurai bodyguard, to catch up with Delon. The premise is irresistible, and the film lives up to it. Mifune and Bronson make a great odd couple, and the script is frequently witty and does a good job of developing a fun dynamic between the two, as Bronson thinks himself a pretty tough guy and initially underestimates this guy in funny robes who brings a sword to a gunfight, but continually finds out he can’t out-tough a samurai. Mifune, the greatest cinematic badass of all time, is of course great, even working in a language that, to my knowledge, he didn’t actually speak (he learned his lines but was not an English speaker). Bronson does a fantastic job of walking a fine line, convincingly playing a tough guy while also spending much of the movie getting upstaged by Mifune and being the butt of the joke as he blusters and tries and fails to escape. Harrison Ford specialized in it, but there aren’t too many other people who can pull it off as easily and naturally as Bronson does here. The film is a real pleasure and I’m a bit surprised it seems largely forgotten.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , haven't seen it in ages , it was on all the time in the 80s , as were many of Bronson's pics. It'd make a good double bill with Hell in the Pacific.

Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Quick and The Dead 1995 I saw this at the movies, psyched to see Sam Raimi tackle a spaghetti western style vengeance tale. It did not disappoint. It still doesn’t. Sharon Stone’s gunslinger wants to kill overlord outlaw John Herod (Gene Hackman) for ruining her life. She arrives during Herod’s annual Contest between rival gunfighters, eager to eliminate him.

A colorful support cast includes Lance Henriksen, Keith David, Robert Duvall, and an excellent Russell Crowe.

With a more than a nod to Leone and Eastwood’s westerns, the most interesting visual remains the nod to Raimi’s own movies. The bell tower clock evokes the cuckoo clock from Raimi’s debut, The Evil Dead. It evokes the contest duels and time to die. Thematically, the story revolves around the failure of Fathers (including Crowe’s former shootist gone preacher). This was a good double feature with High Plains Drifter (which played first).

High Plains Drifter my favorite Eastwood movie.

Thunderball I liked this, and now knowing Connery was a body builder, so much more made sense. This was fun.

@Havac Red Sun is excellent.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Watched Mission Impossible: Fallout tonight to complete my rewatch of the series. Good flick. Five is still my favorite.

7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The 39 Steps. Relatively early Hitchcock, it’s fairly primitive, but solidly entertaining. It’s very typical Hitchcock stuff — a normal man gets sucked into international espionage thanks to the dying message of a spy he happened to meet, and for whose death he’s wanted. He goes on the run trying to deliver her final message, but is hilariously terrible at the whole man-on-the-run thing and seems to continually leap from the frying pan into the fire. Good fun.

Toddy, Sarge, christophero30 and 3 others like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Run (2020)

Aneesh Chaganty has the brilliant idea of a horror movie centered on a girl confined to a wheelchair, and the result is a deeply chilling story about a mother and daughter and how they deal with the girl's disability. Her disability could easily have come across as a trite gimmick, but Chaganty went the extra mile and cast an actual disabled actress for the role, and as such her disability feels very real and is incorporated brilliantly into the story. Kiera Allen is a revelation, going toe to toe with veteran horror actor Sarah Paulson and more than holding her own. She makes you feel like you're as confined as she is, making the film all the more claustrophobic as the tension builds throughout.

The story's not particularly original, but the twist of following a disabled protagonist makes it stand out well enough that you don't really mind the predictability. And even then there's plenty of twists in the third act that it can still catch you off guard.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Mona Lisa Smile.
    Yes it is a formula pic, and very much like Dead Poet's Society, but very well done. Julia Roberts plays a new teacher at a conservative women's boarding school in the 50's. Roberts manages to recapture her early career charm. Great cast of students, including Kristen Dunst, Maggie Gylenhaal and Julia Styles. Directed by Mike Newell. (Goblet of Fire, 4 Weddings and a Funeral) A feel good movie.

pronker likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's been a while since I've seen this, but I remember that I never quite bought the ending. I thought the finish of the 1978 version with Robert Powell and David Warner worked better.

pronker likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Bulletproof 2019

Thomas Jane .

The action all takes place during one night shift for 2 cops , one an older cynic and his new young partner who is of course still idealistic.
    It reminded me of those 70s cop movies that we don't seem to get anymore like The The New Centurions and the like.

pronker likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Happiest Season

I don't know if this was the first ever LGBT Hallmark style holiday movie, but it's the first one I've seen!

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Rogue One. Love it, I really can't wait for the Cassian Andor TV show...

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Last "first viewing" of a film I saw was NEAR DARK

I've had it saved on my Netflix que forever. It's been out of print a great while I think.

Luckly, Hulu, had it and I finally got to watch.

Pretty awesome movie. Hendrickson and Paxton were great. With the two most standout scenes probably being the Bar scene and Shootout with the cops.

A top tier Vampire flick IMO

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Total Recall (2012). I liked Kate Beckinsale, she plays a character that’s a cross between the characters played by Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside in the original.
    For the rest, don’t.

pronker, Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Speaking of Rogue One I bought it used for a dollar today. That and Arrival, which i both really enjoyed and will rewatch later.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    “It’s finger-lickin’ good!” ;)

I’ve never looked at spurs the same way since I first watched this in the mid 90s.

pronker likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    nice price!

[​IMG]

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    haha. the pawn shop near me has dollar DVDs. Occasionally you can find newer movies, but it's rare. I recently got Hereditary and Don't Breathe and A Quiet Place for a dollar too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Count Yubnub and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020)
    An animated film I rented from Redbox. Although I haven't owned all of the MK games of the franchise since its inception in the mid 90s, I still consider myself somewhat of a fan. That being the case, I can't image anyone would appreciate this movie if they weren't. The premise is that before becoming Scorpion, Hanzo Hasaishi lived to see his family slaughtered my a rival ninja clan. He vows his revenge against the culprit, Sub-Zero, and in a way makes a deal with the devil. The animated movie is rated R; not necessarily for the vulgar language but for the exaggerated gore in just about every other scene. It plays out like an ad to the game itself. The movie wasn't all that memorable, but as a MK fan, I'd still say it did it's job. Definitely had plenty of fan service for some of the most popular characters. I kind of wanted to play the PS2 game, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, just to get the variety of characters in this one. And I certainly found myself LMAO at times when serious Sonya Blade put things into her own hands (or feet) when Johnny Cage pushed too many of her buttons.

pronker likes this.
  21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Wrong Man. Hitchcock does an actual wrong-man story, telling the true story of a man wrongly identified in a string of holdups and the personal hell he and his wife go through as he tries to fight the system. Henry Fonda is great in the title role, a dull ordinary man who gets in way over his head and can hardly grasp what’s happening to him, while his wife plunges into depression. Great cinematography, and Hitchcock does a good job of shifting tone: it’s not a thriller, but it is an unsettling film, capturing a more down-to-earth sort of nightmare.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Smile Pinki (2008) – Megan Mylan

This Oscar-winning short film clocks in at just under forty minutes, but it packs an emotional punch. It’s a documentary following a young Indian girl named Pinki, a five year old with a cleft lip, and her journey to receive corrective surgery. This short is, in a lot of ways, an advertisement for Smile Train, a charitable organization that provides thousands of these kind of corrective surgeries a year free of charge to children who need them. And I have to say it succeeds on those terms because by the end of it you’ll be ready to pull out your wallet and give to these guys. Apparently the procedure to repair a cleft palette or a cleft lip is very simple and fast and only costs a couple of hundred dollars; but the vast majority of the cases throughout the world are among the poorest populations in places like India and Africa. And I have to admit that my understanding of the cleft palette was pretty rudimentary; some of the cases you see in this short are far worse than I knew the condition could be. I do think the film succeeds on a level that isn’t entirely commercial; they have a great subject in little Pinki who is irrepressible and resolute from the jump. Once she has the procedure (surely this isn’t a spoiler), her luminous smile lights up the screen and I couldn’t help but be touched in a sincere way. It’s got a great lead, spotlights a serious issue and those working to make things better, hits some nice emotional beats and that’s all in less than forty minutes. The Academy Awards called that a winner (Pinki traveled to Hollywood to collect the Oscar herself) and so do I. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – short documentary highlights a worthy charity effort to correct cleft palettes of poor children & tells a compelling story with a great lead figure at the same time; under forty minutes! 3 ½ stars.

[​IMG]

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  23. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Congrats on the great deal. Arrival is great, I also enjoyed the short story by Ted Chiang that it's based on.

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    L’Eclisse. Michelangelo Antonioni’s film has a storyline — Monica Vitti goes through a breakup, meets stockbroker Alain Delon, but seems wary of committing to getting involved with him — but it plays out at a languid pace. It is the kind of film that lingers on nothing much happening; beautiful, intriguing, and frustratingly obscure and indifferent. It’s the kind of film I admire more than enjoy.

pronker and Master_Lok like this.
  25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

An utterly captivating film set in the Napoleonic War based on the novels by Peter O'Brian. Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin friendship is probably the highlight of the picture, to the point where I would have been fine if the whole film was set in the captains quarters as their just chatting and playing their instruments. Another highlight is the fact that the filmmakers stressed the importance of historical accuracy to the film despite the story itself being fictitious. Which is wonderful as I believe historical accuracy enhances the story of a film rather than detracts from it, something I wish more people in the film industry would take note of.