main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Now they can openly work together to make the world a worse place instead of just clandestinely.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm hesitant to ascribe motive here, but I generally assume this is more about continued squeezing out of Qatar from the GCC than anything else, as somewhat more of a continuation of this timeline:

https://www.justsecurity.org/69094/...atar-666-fifth-avenue-and-white-house-policy/

The UAE is also a very minority Arab-state (20% are the Emirati, and the others are immigrants/expats working). Also generally, given Etihad and Emirates, given the ability to travel on those airlines (likely prohibited since they mega-hub Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and Israeli passports are prohibited from entering UAE) -- this seems like not much of anything, other than of course extending the legitimacy of the Netanyahu administration, which is bad on its own.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm not very surprised this is happening precisely because it narrows Qatar's perspectives even further, and because it's a sound move to make against Iran.

Vaderize03 and Princess_Tina like this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    3sm1r likes this.
  5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I think I'm going to find some dark relish in watching the USA seeking refuge behind international law against China when I'm old and grey...

And yes, I'm aware my own country has a long history of colonization.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And now, the FBI has joined the investigation into the Beirut explosion

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wrong thread

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  9. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol...

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Welp, turns out it was likely just a money grab...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/world/middleeast/trump-netanyahu-israel-uae.html

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Another fire at Beirut's port :s

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    well.......that's probably not good. He was working on getting Qatar out of the crosshairs of the other Gulf States, so there goes that.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, referred to as the "apparent" head of Iran's nuclear program by media outlets, was assassinated today outside of Tehran. Iran's pointing to Israel, as Netanyahu has previously blustered about this individual publicly as a "name to remember" with regard to Iran's ambitions.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Iran must have some bad intelligence or protection that’s two major assassinations in a year

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Getting things done before a slightly less cooperative President gets sworn in and wags his finger.

18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Fixed.

Rew likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Israel will stop at nothing to make sure Iran never has a nuke. As of now Israel has all the leverage as they are the nuclear power of the two

20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Christ. Israel was also either bombing nuclear facilities or at least openly joking about being responsible earlier this year. Hell the show "Tehran" which is just open propaganda for Mossad has that as a premise more or less, and its stars have been joking about it lining up with actual murders or "accidental deaths" of nuclear scientists and workers. None of which are even working on anything approaching weaponry. No way Biden will try to dictate terms with Israel on this stuff, tut tut all he wants, but the dems will go along for the ride. This is just the state of things until the next Lebanon and Israel's regularly programmed embarrassment leading to a sabbatical

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/27/top-iranian-nuclear-scientist-killed-iran-armed-forces
    not super graphic but the image of the blood draining near the bullet-hole filled car is really depressing. Several attackers killed apparently. Hopefully they can be identified

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rocket served in the Australian army now confirmed.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    united states intelligence report has formally implicated saudi crown prince muhammed bin salman in the murder of journalist jamal khashoggi. three years after the deed was done.

Ghost and Emperor Ferus like this.
  24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Since Joe Biden has announced that the us and NATO are withdrawing troops from Afghanistan, there’s few things I worry about afterwards.

His withdrawal plan is better than Trumps plan obviously.

I worry that the Taliban will have complete control over all of Afghanistan even though the government we installed is just as barbaric and religiously corrupt also.

I also worry that isis and Al qaeda will grow bigger than they already are and I am concerned that maybe new terrorists groups could rise from the withdrawal like what happened with Iraq.

But the only things that’s good about this at least the multiple Taliban factions fights with each other and the Taliban and isis also fights each other as well.

Also isis and al qaeda fighting each other is good thing too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Does this mark the end of the 9-11 and war on terror era? On the negative side this withdrawal also frees the US to engage in new conflicts else where in the world.