main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Abramovich seems worried.[​IMG]

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    reports out of agrentina saying that maradona has died :/

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    terribly sad, what a legend.

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    On the BBC now. Sad when anyone dies, but this is not a surprise.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I heard his recent surgery was successful.
    But he'd had health problems for a while.

Still, as with George Best I remember the sportsman he was not the man he became.

A fabulously talented player

halibut likes this.
  6. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yeah, sadly I'm not surprised. I watched a documentary about him recently; he has had health problems for some time. I imagine he wrecked his cardio-vascular system with his lifestyle. Very sad... genius footballer.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ledge. GOAT - it’s not even close.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    real madrid/inter should be good here. de facto disqualifier for the group stage, both sides are down so many players.

really nice tribute to maradona, pre-match.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Some interesting stories

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL @ Liverpool
    LOL @Diggy
    LOL

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    lol for a draw? Living in your head rent free, is the phrase I believe.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh, that's definitely a LOL. 2 disallowed goals, missed penalty, and a very dodgy 2nd penalty given in injury time. So many LOLs

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Brighton were wasteful.

Should have been 2-0 up even before Salah's goal was ruled out for offside.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Losing at home to Köln is why Dortmund will not win the League. Can't drop points like that. The League is won by taking all the points you can from all the sides you're supposed to beat, so it doesn't matter H2H with the Bavarians. But, Köln, winless in eighteen games ... You simply can't drop those points. Even with the midweek game and not starting the first choice XI. You can't.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    when did schalke go to total ****, inty? seems like they've been, at worst, midtable. at least since I've paid some degree of attention to bundesliga.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Pretty much since their runner up season in 17-18. The UCL performance that next year masked things, but they were 14th (of 18, mind you) in the league that year. Last year, they had a sixteen game winless steak ... And didn't fire the manager. He finally got fired after a terrible start to this campaign, but the team has sold off a bunch of talent over the summer the last three years, so you can't entirely blame him.

Just be glad McKenzie got out before they started giving him a real winning mentality

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    saw he started for juve in their CL game this week. pretty fantastic!

18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Thats debatable.

Pele

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Pelé - advanced striker who apart from a swansong for the New York Cosmos, never left Santos back when most players were chain-smoking cart horses Pelé. Yeah right.

I don’t even rate him as the greatest Brazilian ever.

That’s Fat Ronaldo.

20. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    For the majority of Pele's playing career transfers outside of a players home country where extremely rare. And the Brazillian government actually blocked Santos selling him to multiple European clubs by declaring him a national treasure.

It took Pele begging the Government of Brazil to let him come to the US as a way to grow the sport for them to allow him to do it.

And to comment about the majority of players smoking while Maradona was a cocaine addict and Alcoholic for the majority of his playing career is an odd arguement to make.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Darth Punk likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    So we’re in agreement that we’ll never know if Pelé could dominate foreign leagues in the way Maradona did.

EDIT: hey, you dirty edited in that final paragraph. In response to that I’d say otherwise. I was commenting on the standard of players during Pelé’s prime was much poorer. The fact that Maradona was still different class while abusing drink and drugs almost lends itself to my case.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's the age old question

Is a prolific player in a terrible league really good, or do they look great because the league is terrible?

Pele undoubtedly was a talented striker, he performed well on the international stage against many good teams with players from top European leagues.

But the GOAT? Probably will always have an asterisk because he never showed what he could do for a top club side

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    I did not mean do what ever a that. I had the edit function open immediately after posting wanting to Change my wording and was stuck on it for awhile. You posted while I was doing that, I did not want to double post.

Honestly we won't agree. Its the same as arguing if Jordan or LeBron is the greatest of all time. People have different criteria. I feel its Pele because of his record in internationals, his goal scoring profiling, longevity etc.

Both you and @SithLordDarthRichie keep pointing out Pele was a striker, but he played in a 424 formation most of his career, whereas Maradona played in a 442 as a withdrawn striker or attacking midfielder. There is not That much difference between those and Pele(and Maradona) where both underrated as defensive players.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Similar argument used for Messi.

He's has a wonderful club career, won everything. But he's never really done anything on the international stage the way Maradona did, so some say Diego is better because of the World Cup wins.

C. Ronaldo has won all the major club trophies and also won the Euro international tournament. Does that make him better than Messi?

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I personally think Ronaldo is better than Messi. There isn't much in it but Ronaldo has proved his ability in multiple leagues whereas Messi hasn't

Ronaldo was part of a team that won a major international tournament, Messi hasn't