main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Since it is anniversary time...

2. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    So...

Captain Jack is back for Revelation of the Daleks

Shame they couldn't not spoil this though

Jedi Knight Fett and Juliet316 like this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's a nice reveal on a good day. The previous appearance was very well guarded, but there have been rumours abound ever since.

But the usual trick is to reveal something minor, but seemingly important, leaving the "truth" as the real surprise.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus given that with COVID screwing up production, there's no real way to know when the show is coming back (other than the Christmas Special), it gives the fans a bit of something extra to look forward to when we actually finally get S13 on our screens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Greetings Whovians!
    Hope you're all doing well.

Saw some more 10th Doctor eps since I last posted including Turn Left, The Stolen Earth, Journey's End, and The Next Doctor. Enjoyed them all, very entertaining. And apparently there are still 4 more specials that feature Tennant on the next DVD that I need to watch. Seems like they didn't want to let go of David in the role, understandably.

Oh, I also watched Time Crash featuring the 5th and 10th Doctors in an 8 minute story.

From Classic Who, Lost In Time is a nice set of rare 1st and 2nd Doctor episodes and after watching part 1 of The Web of Fear twice, I was pleased to see that all but 1 of the lost episodes from that serial were rediscovered and released, so I bought that am looking forward to seeing it.

I really enjoyed Spearhead From Space featuring Pertwee. It's one of my favorite serials now. And Liz and the Brigadier are cool too.

And two awesomely fun and wacky 7th Doctor serials have become faves, especially The Greatest Show In the Galaxy. That one is creepily excellent and zany. Nice costumes.
    I quite liked The Happiness Patrol as well. Brilliantly bizarre.

And I saw most of Image of the Fendahl on the telly so I ordered the DVD set to add to my ever growing Tom Baker collection.

Next on my watch list are some more Troughton, Pertwee, and McCoy serials as well as hopefully starting the Matt Smith era soon.
    Cheers!

darkspine10 and Juliet316 like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Greatest Show and Happiness Patrol are kinda glorious arcs.

darkspine10 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Indeed!
    So far McCoy's second season, Season 25 overall I believe, is 3/4 for awesomeness what with Remembrance of the Daleks for a kickoff as well.

I have Silver Nemesis on order, so I'm hoping for 4/4.

darkspine10 and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
  10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    @Dagobahsystem, speaking of Web of Fear, they literally just announced yesterday that they were animating Episode 3 :D It looks to be a new 3D style rather than the 2D used before, here's a clip of the original 1968 promo with audio from Patrick Troughton to give a glimpse:

Also, I can't wait to see your response to Matt Smith, my favourite era of the whole show :)

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Ironic. Dags could buy the DVD, but he couldn't wait for the blu ray. :emperor:

I saw that Episode 3 was being released and laughed as I had just received the DVD which I've yet to watch.

Ah, collecting these stories is so much fun. Once Silver Nemesis arrives, I'm going to rewatch Season 25. Then finally dive into the McCoy Season 26 blu ray boxset.

Was last watching Story No. 2, The Daleks and it's cool but my goodness the pacing is slow.

And I'm looking forward to starting the 11th Doctor series; I keep getting sidetracked by Classic Who. :D

Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The first time I saw it I thought it moved like treacle, and was kind of boring; however, like with most Classic Who, the more times I've watched it, the more I adjust to the pacing and appreciate the journey. I actually think it's one of my favourite Hartnell's now.

As for regrets about buying the Web of Fear DVD rather than the new Blu-ray, you never know if or when the missing episode might turn up and the whole thing get released again in a superior package. I actually bought the serial on iTunes when it was first released, then on DVD when it was released on that a few months later, so I've already bought it twice.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Web of Fear is one of my top DW stories,all time, so I will gladly buy it on multiple formats.

soitscometothis and darkspine10 like this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @soitscometothis
    I agree that many things are received better upon multiple rewatches and that has proven true for me over the years.

To be honest, I've not put a lot of time into Hartnell yet. I've got stories 1,2,3,6 and the Lost In Time set and that is it. And have only seen a few episodes so far, no complete serials.
    So, that will be fun to get to know the characters and adjust to the pacing of 1st Doctor stories as I continue this fantastic journey.

Since starting to watch DW in March of this year, I've noticed that Doctors 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 have some of my fave stories and interest me most personally on an overall level.
    That's just so far. It's so fun to think about how things will adjust as I finally see every story available and then begin the rewatch process.

And I hear you regarding double dip purchases. I'm a Star Wars fan after all and so GL has gotten me many times lol. It's just so fun to collect and enjoy this rad material, I don't mind the occasional double dip, although as expansive as DW is, that needs to be kept to a minimum lol.

darkspine10 likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Dalek Invasion of Earth is rock solid. Most people know the familiar emotional goodbye to Susan/Arkytoir but the story is overall of good quality.

16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Personally, one thing I like about "Dr. Who and the Daleks" is they did a pretty good job boiling down seven 24-minute episodes into a movie lasting just shy of 90 minutes.

17. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Each week, I try to watch an MST3K episode and a non-series production by MST3K alumni. Since this week marked the anniversary of the "Doctor Who' premiere, last night I watched a fan-made reconstruction of the "Rifftrax Live" version of "The Five Doctors". (At last report, rights issues from the Beeb was preventing RT from releasing an official version.) I saw it back when it was first produced and it turned out pretty much OK.
    Some of the actor-related jokes didn't work too well, but most of the others were very funny. Like the Master finding the charred remains of a Time Lord, with Bill Corbett saying, "Hey, it's Uncle Owen!". Or the guys noting how Cybermen seemed to be easier kills than Imperial Stormtroopers. Or several jabs at Turlough (like calling him "Turlough Weasley"). And several about the very slight incline (sorry, "ledge") that Sarah Jane tumbles down next to the well-maintained road. Or remarking that the re-cast First Doctor would be having tea with his friend, the second Darrin from "Bewitched".

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    New Daleks look is cool.

Slight alterations without changing the design too much.
    More retro

Of course the major talking point about it will be

is it another Dalek Sec because it's black, or just a Dalek Supreme?

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sunday Mail had a preview of the Christmas season programming today. The Doctor Who special will be shown on New Year's Day on BBC1 in the UK starting at 6:45 PM. The blurb mentions the show is 75 minutes long.

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been enjoying re-watching the Fourth Doctor story State of Decay. I think the whole E-Space Trilogy is good, and the Doctor/Romana dynamic is a strong one.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You have exquisite taste. State of Decay was my introduction to DW and is unshakeable as my favorite story. K-9 leading a group of vampire hunters = brilliance.

And, yeah, the Romana II / Fourth Doctor pairing is just grand. Particularly in a Hammer horror film.

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I think it's one of the more unique pairings in Who. Normally the companion gets stuck playing the straight man role, but here it's much more of a Nick & Nora from The Thin Man situation. Though I love Mary Tamm, I don't think her Romana would have evolved to this kind of role without the change of actress (though don't get me wrong, I love Tamm's Romana, too).

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You are correct. In all of that.

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Season 18 is pretty much peak Who for me (Series 1 of New Who being the only season stronger), the stories take advantage surreal imagery, new synthy 80's atmospheric music, and some nice special effects innovations that make it feel totally unique in the classic series :)

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003

darkspine10 likes this.